Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

westgolf wrote: »
    Anybody hired or rented a roofbox for their trip ? We changed the primary car since our last trip. Had an insignia with a huge boot, now have a qashqai with a smaller boot. Looking at renting but would buy if it's a better deal. Will need it for two separate staycation trips this year.

I have details for a crowd on the Model Farm Road area in Cork, if that's any good for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

westgolf wrote: »
    Anybody hired or rented a roofbox for their trip ? We changed the primary car since our last trip. Had an insignia with a huge boot, now have a qashqai with a smaller boot. Looking at renting but would buy if it's a better deal. Will need it for two separate staycation trips this year.

Micks garage is cheap enough to buy this stuff online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Micks garage is cheap enough to buy this stuff online

loads of them on done deal as well when people change cars

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Aer lingus cancelled all flights to and from Nantes this summer- our flights were sold out so it's not that they weren't viable as such. They must be really cutting back routes now after such long periods of no travel. Managed to get flights with ryanair but more expensive and further away airport and we'll need to find a hotel or b&b for our last night. Campsite have no availability to take is an extra night. Last attempt- if these get cancelled we won't be looking at other flights, ferries etc and will accept defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

So has anyone here travelled out of Dublin/Rosslare/Cork harbour's on your way to a holiday in France with your roof box / bike rack laden car screaming "WE'RE GOING ON HOLIDAY" and were you stopped by the Gardai and asked why you were travelling or has anyone been fined (under this legislation) for travelling abroad from a ferry port for a non essential reason?

It appears Gardai are questioning travellers at airports, is it the same at ferry ports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

Just wondering if anyone had any luck booking tickets with Irish Ferries for August travelling with pets?
    It keeps telling me that there's no sails. Make's no sense. Any1 know whats the story with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Just wondering if anyone had any luck booking tickets with Irish Ferries for August travelling with pets? It keeps telling me that there's no sails. Make's no sense. Any1 know whats the story with them?

I don't know about pets but according to their website, it looks like IF sail from Dublin to Cherbourg every second day in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭damian01211

First Up wrote: »
    I don't know about pets but according to their website, it looks like IF sail from Dublin to Cherbourg every second day in August.

Yes they do but it seems that I cannot book it with pets, if I exclude pet, I'm able to book it. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Yes they do but it seems that I cannot book it with pets, if I exclude pet, I'm able to book it. Makes no sense.

More than likely means that it’s booked up. They can only take a limited number of pets as they have limited kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

dzer2 wrote: »
    Have you raised roof rails on the qashgai if so I have a set of roof bars that will fit

Thanks for the offer Dzer2, appreciate it, I have the qashqai model with the raised bars and glass roof. Will get back to you by the weekend once I know what I'm doing.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Due to some commitments we are looking at going last two weeks in August. Is there anything to be aware of in this window? I know it’s tight getting back for schools etc but are the sites quieter/activities winding down etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Due to some commitments we are looking at going last two weeks in August. Is there anything to be aware of in this window? I know it’s tight getting back for schools etc but are the sites quieter/activities winding down etc?

July and especially August are peak season. Many French business shut down from 15 August for annual holidays. Depending on where you are going the traffic can be legend. However, with COVID and all the rest there is no way of knowing what this year will be like. I assume the French will be the same as us and just want to get away from home for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wally Runs wrote: »
    July and especially August are peak season. Many French business shut down from 15 August for annual holidays. Depending on where you are going the traffic can be legend. However, with COVID and all the rest there is no way of knowing what this year will be like. I assume the French will be the same as us and just want to get away from home for a break.

We'd usually be in French campsites during the first week in July and the last 2 weeks in August.
    We've always found them to be a bit less busy during the last 2 weeks in August, especially up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woodstocklive

54and56 wrote:
    So has anyone here travelled out of Dublin/Rosslare/Cork harbour's on your way to a holiday in France with your roof box / bike rack laden car screaming "WE'RE GOING ON HOLIDAY" and were you stopped by the Gardai and asked why you were travelling or has anyone been fined (under

54and56 wrote:
    So has anyone here travelled out of Dublin/Rosslare/Cork harbour's on your way to a holiday in France with your roof box / bike rack laden car screaming "WE'RE GOING ON HOLIDAY" and were you stopped by the Gardai and asked why you were travelling or has anyone been fined (under

I've been wondering the exact same thing. I know people who travelled from Cork with legitimate reason's in the last month. They'dhave had the bike's and roofbox etc. They weren't challenged either here on in France. Knowing my luck though I'd probably be the one to get the fine.

Will be leaving Dublin port on the 3rd with the roofbox on.
    We'll have an essential reason for traveling though, so no squeaky bums for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

josip wrote: »
    Will be leaving Dublin port on the 3rd with the roofbox on.
    We'll have an essential reason for traveling though, so no squeaky bums for us.

Please feed back before the ferry pulls out!! Have nothing booked, but still hoping to book and leave a few days later. Will have to go before 19th July, if we are going. Would really appreciate an overview of what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Kids as in over 11?

Confusing all these rules and tests, plus different requirements for different countries!

Has anyone researched where to get PCR tests in France for the return journey back into Ireland?

Its not clear as yet. It looks like they will be free at least.
    Hopefully it will be easily accessible places like chemists.

Yes, the campsites are providing details of the chemists/doctors etc, that are providing FREE PCRs in France.
    There seems to be a few places in every town/village.

e.g. We have details of a place in Dol De Bretagne. You just need to ring before you arrive and then get the PCR.

Has anyone used the HSE Cert as proof of vaccination on the Ferry to France? (Stena from Rosslare)
    For traveling to France, how long must have elapsed since the 2nd dose (Pfizer), 1 week or 2 weeks?

(Update) Irish Ferries say it's 2 weeks post 2nd dose.
    https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/travel-restrictions/travelling-to-france/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woodstocklive

josip wrote:
    Has anyone used the HSE Cert as proof of vaccination on the Ferry to France? (Stena from Rosslare) For traveling to France, how long must have elapsed since the 2nd dose (Pfizer), 1 week or 2 weeks?

French Embassy saying 2 weeks following 2nd Pfizer jab. Presume same for other vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Irish ferries are saying self administered antigen tests are not accepted

But DFA haven't put this in their notifications

I wonder who does antigen testing in the southeast I know it can be done at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Best place to find all the information you need. https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/FRA/7011

You can download it as an app. I would take my information from official sources at the mo, as this is what the authorities will be doing and things are changing frequently. PCR tests are free and widely available to all in France.

It goes without staying, hope for the best but plan for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

dzer2 wrote: »
    Irish ferries are saying self administered antigen tests are not accepted

But DFA haven't put this in their notifications

I wonder who does antigen testing in the southeast I know it can be done at the airport.

https://phelans.ie/pages/covid-19-testing-service
    Looks like Phelans pharmacies(mostly around Cork) partnered with Randox(mentioned in T&C) for antigen testing. I booked a test with them for 49e for the night before leaving to France next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I read somewhere that for France they will treat children as having the same vaccination status as their parents. So of both parents are vaccinated all minors will be treated as vaccinated also, and therefore don't need a negative pCV test to go to France.

Anyone else see this?

Quazzie wrote: »
    I read somewhere that for France they will treat children as having the same vaccination status as their parents. So of both parents are vaccinated all minors will be treated as vaccinated also, and therefore don't need a negative pCV test to go to France.

Anyone else see this?

Yes, it applies to kids 10 and under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

josip wrote: »
    Yes, it applies to kids 10 and under.

I have 2 over 10 so was looking to get them tested.

Sailing from Rosslare and don't fancy travelling to Dublin for a test. When we can do one ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Does anyone know what time Irish Ferries typically starts loading cars on the Dublin -> Cherbourg 16:00 sailing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

54and56 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time Irish Ferries typically starts loading cars on the Dublin -> Cherbourg 16:00 sailing?

Can only speak for 2 years ago. We had priority boarding and I have a photo of us driving onto the ship at 14:45

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

54and56 wrote: »

We boarded around 15.40pm (with a caravan).

I assumed the ship would be running late as there were people boarding at 15.55pm. Then all of a sudden the captain was on the tannoy announcing departure.

The new ship is very efficient at boarding and unboarding.

I would always make sure I am at least one hour early though as Check In will close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Peckham wrote: »
    Can only speak for 2 years ago. We had priority boarding and I have a photo of us driving onto the ship at 14:45

Same. 2 years ago I sent a photo to my friend of the kids having just claimed their bunks in the cabin with a time of 15.01.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Deeman83 wrote: »
    We boarded around 15.40pm (with a caravan).

I assumed the ship would be running late as there were people boarding at 15.55pm. Then all of a sudden the captain was on the tannoy announcing departure.

The new ship is very efficient at boarding and unboarding.

I would always make sure I am at least one hour early though as Check In will close

100% agree, I've been on the WB Yeats 3 times now and every time thought to myself from the car park with half an to go there's no way its departing on time! But then all of a sudden it moves real quick and were are on and off on time. Certainly a lot quicker than they could board the Oscar Wilde in Rosslare. Not sure its any quicker though boarding on the return
    Really hope I'm thinking that way on the 6th of August at about 3.30!

Advertisement