Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Land - Raising Rent

Options
  • 20-06-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

We rent about 11 acres of poor enough land to a local sheep farmer. Letting starts in December. The rent is 700 Euros per year and this has remained the same since 2010. We plan to raise the rent to 1000 Per Year.
    I am just wondering how much notice should be given for a rent raise. Is it too late for 2022 or should we be looking at raising the rent from 2023
    onwards ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Young95

We rent about 11 acres of poor enough land to a local sheep farmer. Letting starts in December. The rent is 700 Euros per year and this has remained the same since 2010. We plan to raise the rent to 1000 Per Year.
    I am just wondering how much notice should be given for a rent raise. Is it too late for 2022 or should we be looking at raising the rent from 2023
    onwards ?

What exactly is poor land ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭broken sink

Maybe I should say poor grazing land. Anyway large parts of the land are covered with rushes and yellow flag iris. No good for hay or Silage. If it was more accessible I might consider it for some form of forestry. There is grass also but no field is clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,108 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you have an alternative if he doesn't continue on?

There's a lot to be said for having a good tenant

Yes I am fairly sure it would be easy to get somebody else. To answer my own original question I would go with 2023 and give him plenty of time to find other land if he wants it. 700 per year for 11 years is not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭green daries

Yes I am fairly sure it would be easy to get somebody else. To answer my own original question I would go with 2023 and give him plenty of time to find other land if he wants it. 700 per year for 11 years is not expensive.

No it's not but would you make a margin from farming it .....
    Genuine question...honest answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭green daries

Maybe I should say poor grazing land. Anyway large parts of the land are covered with rushes and yellow flag iris. No good for hay or Silage. If it was more accessible I might consider it for some form of forestry. There is grass also but no field is clean.

Too small for planting any more would loose a lot of money I'm told by the forestry lads

700 for 11 acres does seem cheap. But then again it might be bad land and luckily enough we don't see that around where I am so I have no idea what it would be worth if it is bad land.

No it's not but would you make a margin from farming it .....
    Genuine question...honest answer

I honestly don't know. Farming with payments probably but without payments maybe not. Any land that has come available for rent has been taken by sheep farmers.

I honestly don't know. Farming with payments probably but without payments maybe not. Any land that has come available for rent has been taken by sheep farmers.

Land might be worth a chunk of the 70 quid an acre to fellas in some areas for the maps alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

He has 5months notice if you tell him before this months out,thats plenty of time.yes 700 is not expensive. Sheep are selling well like all food produced presently.

Its your land & entirely up to you to set a price you believe its worth going forward.

• Advertisement

ruwithme wrote: »
    He has 5months notice if you tell him before this months out,thats plenty of time.yes 700 is not expensive. Sheep are selling well like all food produced presently.

Its your land & entirely up to you to set a price you believe its worth going forward.

Yes I agree with you. Tell a fella you would like to test the market might be a good way to approach it.

Advertisement