Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Father

• 04-05-2021 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Well I have v little time for The Oscars but they got this right.. Hopkins was formidable in this role.. I had to remind myself that it was fiction at one point - I was totally drawn in..

The writing is brilliant, and along with the acting, devastating on impact but yet so sensitively done.. Coleman is great as a supporting role..

Wow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The film is brilliant. Hopkins gives a career best performance, and it's a shame his Oscar win is overshadowed by the controversy of whether the award should have been given to Chadwick Boseman as a given, since he had won all through awards season.

It's very well written, directed and Olivia Coleman is also brilliant as his daughter. It really brings to light how horrible, tragic and tough going the disease is for the sufferer and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Amazing acting, hard to forget story.
    Reminded me of Amour by Haneke (2012)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

sporina wrote: »
    Well I have v little time for The Oscars but they got this right.. Hopkins was formidable in this role.. I had to remind myself that it was fiction at one point - I was totally drawn in..

The writing is brilliant, and along with the acting, devastating on impact but yet so sensitively done.. Coleman is great as a supporting role..

Wow

Same feeling here, it was heart breaking because it felt like we were watching someone's life not an actor playing a role.
    otnomart wrote: »
    Amazing acting, hard to forget story.
    Reminded me of Amour by Haneke (2012)

I made the same connection with Amour. Only difference I thought was that we see the story unfold from Anthony's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

I saw this yesterday, liked it but wasn't blown away.

It struggled to detach itself from its theatrical roots which meant that it all felt very show-offy. Hopkins is brilliant but it's not a grounded, realistic performance and definitely not his best. Remains of the Day is the best i've ever seen from him.

I thought the recent Australian horror 'Relic' was a more complete and hard hitting take on aging/dementia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it on Friday

Change of plan, seeing something else

• Advertisement
Advertisement