Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

River Suir Pathway /Maypark Trail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

The National Transport Authority have just allocated €100,000 for the 'Ballinakill / Island Lane to City Centre Pedestrian and Cycle Route WDCC/21/0007'. I presume that's for this.
    Anyone got any details? The section between Kings Channel and Park Lane pumping station needs upgrading, it's nearly impassable with mud following heavy rain due to the huge increase in numbers using it now.
    Would like to hear some plan from WCCC on reconnecting section ending at Freshfield to Cove Lane/Sycamores/Glenville walkway. Would involve reinstating the former walkway section through the old Snowcream site, now owned presumably by the HSE as it has the UHW staff carpark there?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

The National Transport Authority have just allocated €100,000 for the 'Ballinakill / Island Lane to City Centre Pedestrian and Cycle Route WDCC/21/0007'. I presume that's for this.
    Anyone got any details? The section between Kings Channel and Park Lane pumping station needs upgrading, it's nearly impassable with mud following heavy rain due to the huge increase in numbers using it now.
    Would like to hear some plan from WCCC on reconnecting section ending at Freshfield to Cove Lane/Sycamores/Glenville walkway. Would involve reinstating the former walkway section through the old Snowcream site, now owned presumably by the HSE as it has the UHW staff carpark there?

That section between Maypark Village & King’s Channel is a mud bath! Contractors have been cutting back the ditches there for the past two days. Apparently this section is next for improvement works. Following that it seems that the woods in the old Snowcream site is next to be worked on.

Great to see it happening, particularly with all the extra footfall currently on it. My dream would be for it to extend all the way into town, but I don’t see that happening any time soon!

Fishy1 wrote: »
    That section between Maypark Village & King’s Channel is a mud bath! Contractors have been cutting back the ditches there for the past two days. Apparently this section is next for improvement works. Following that it seems that the woods in the old Snowcream site is next to be worked on.

Great to see it happening, particularly with all the extra footfall currently on it. My dream would be for it to extend all the way into town, but I don’t see that happening any time soon!

Great to hear about the current work at Maypark/Kings Channel; haven't been down there for a while due to the weather. Will WCCC need to CPO part of the Snowcream site from the HSE or do they own it themselves?

Great to hear about the current work at Maypark/Kings Channel; haven't been down there for a while due to the weather. Will WCCC need to CPO part of the Snowcream site from the HSE or do they own it themselves?
    As far as I know the land that the HSE car park is on is being leased, the HSE doesn’t own it. A lot of that site is privately owned though - planning permission was granted years ago for a housing development, I think.
    I reckon that the Council may own a section of the site adjacent to the river, but I’m not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

€100k will build about 50/60m of cycle way...,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Nice to see theyve extended the width of the pathway in the last few weeks. Very handy, as it was becoming a mud bath in some sections.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Nice to see they've extended the width of the pathway in the last few weeks. Very handy, as it was becoming a mud bath in some sections.

Yep, and the missing link through the old Snowcream site is going to be reinstated soon. Job is out to tender from what I've heard. Site still owned by Glanbia I've also heard, so HSE carpark must just be a long-term lease arrangement.
    Would love to see what the Council have up their sleeve for the last kilometre into town i.e. Glenville/PwC to Marina Hotel.

Anyone know when the work to extend the river walk through the Glanbia site is going to commence?

Anyone know when the work to extend the river walk through the Glanbia site is going to commence?

I think I heard that it would start in the autumn.

• Advertisement

Wall broken through on Cove Lane and tree-felling underway since last Friday to connect the walkway from Freshfields. Will be finished by October I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I see they have started to remove tress beyond the fence at the Maypark water pumping station so not sure if that is part of the extension of the walk or they are just getting rid of the trees there are they may have become too old and dangerous but hopefully it does have something to do with the extension of the walk...

Definitely clearing a path for the Riverwalk link according to fellas working on Cove Lane side.

New pathway now 95% completed between Freshfield and Cove Lane. Big job undertaken to cut a new path and culverts for a stream through the jungle of a woods that's there. Lot of history to this former 19th Century ornamental gardens of Major Goff behind the old Snowcream site. The current works have uncovered all sorts including a nice little stone featured waterfall and a couple of ponds or reservoirs, not sure which. Be interested to hear the full history, if anyone on here knows more.

Next phase will be Glenville into town behind PWC Accountants and on past lots of well-heeled Newtown houses with river frontage. Should be interesting.

Are there actual plans to continue the walkway in towards town, do you know? As in, has the council secured funding etc? It would be such a fantastic achievement if they have!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 villamar

The opening of the new pathway is tomorrow. Plans are definitely to proceed to the city. Will link into the greenway. Apparently approx 12 feet from a river is deemed "no man's land" and this would be the land to be used for the pathway into the city. Should be very interesting!

Yep, looking from Google Maps, there seems to be a lot of houses along the Newtown Road which seem to have their back gardens right up to the waters edge. So will indeed be very interesting how that's overcome

I don't know how far advanced the Councils plans or funding are. I'm only going by what I've read or picked up from talking to lads working on the walkway.

Fingers crossed that it goes ahead- think of the amount of traffic it would take off the Dunmore Road! It would be fantastic to think that kids could cycle off-road all the way to school 🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Interesting!! I’d love to learn a bit more about the old gardens that were at that site. Is there a history of it anywhere I could read?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

The route from maypark to cove Lane has opened this weekend. Looking forward to seeing it

1. New entrance to River walk from Cove Lane.

2. Original Waterfall feature uncovered on old/lower pathway - go through green gates, turn left and follow mucky path.

If anyone has a few minutes to spare, they might like to drop a line to Waterford Council suggesting that the continuation of the walkway all the way into town should be considered for inclusion in the next stage of their “Permeability Scheme”.

Further info here: https://waterfordcouncilnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/What-is-a-Permeability-Scheme.pdf

Another picture, taken not far from the waterfall. Apologies, I don’t know how to resize it!

Anyone heard anything on the grapevine about when the Council are going to continue the river walk into town from Glenville?

No but I was down there recently and there is a lot of Japanese knotweed there so I wonder will that delay it

• Advertisement

The newest part of the walk seems to have been hit a lot by the rain. There's at least 2 streams which are carving their way through the path. Hopefully they can fix that over the coming while.

Advertisement