Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1521+ for a 3080, thanks for getting my hopes up.

Well I did say the prices are still nowhere near rrp. 1521+ is a definite improvement over 2000+ however. Fingers crossed that things are beginning to normalise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Homelander wrote: »
    I've given up at this stage. I tried every setting in the bios as well using the old card and nothing. The old card is a Titan that's actually heavier than the Vega.

I found someone here with an identical problem with an X470. Really strange.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-build-wont-boot-with-vega-64-but-boots-fine-with-older-gtx-960.3423343/

It probably sounds a bit reactionary but I only ever get these headaches with AMD chipsets, and the guy above is obviously AMD as well. I had other issues with my last Ryzen 3600/B450M build that were a pain as well to get sorted (though they did get sorted).

I genuinely find that while AMD is way better value, not just in terms of price but also feature set wise, Intel tends to just work more headache free in general, notwithstanding actual hardware faults obviously.

Just spotting this, does your board have any significant BIOS updates outstanding? Might be some controller changes since you installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

I went back and checked, its 3060's that have been there for a while now at the 600 quid sterling mark.

Caseking and Overclockers have the same parent company and to be honest, have been some of the worst Globally for price gouging. So the next time I see either whining about getting no cards, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Also, if AMD stock is the same, then it effectively means the same thing. Nvidia and AMD don't exist in isolation of each other.

You might be onto something here. Maybe its the launch of the 3070/80 Ti's but looking at Caseking again this week and they have 11 models of 3070's in stock between 1000 and 1300 instead of the 1100 and 1500 they were looking for a week ago. Still way way overpriced but going in the right direction?

Tin Man wrote: »
    You might be onto something here. Maybe its the launch of the 3070/80 Ti's but looking at Caseking again this week and they have 11 models of 3070's in stock between 1000 and 1300 instead of the 1100 and 1500 they were looking for a week ago. Still way way overpriced but going in the right direction?

I actually don't think they know what they are doing. They literally have a 3070 Ti for sale cheaper than their cheapest 3070. Maybe they are trying to move the 3070's into a lower tier of being too overpriced but they don't know what they supply is going to be like for both models in the short to medium term

3070 Ti for 1026.35 (DE VAT)
    https://www.caseking.de/en/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-amp-holo-lhr-8192-mb-gddr6x-gczt-184.html

3070 for 1063.74 (DE VAT)
    https://www.caseking.de/en/inno3d-geforce-rtx-3070-ichill-x4-lhr-8192-mb-gddr6-gci3-197.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I actually don't think they know what they are doing. They literally have a 3070 Ti for sale cheaper than their cheapest 3070. Maybe they are trying to move the 3070's into a lower tier of being too overpriced but they don't know what they supply is going to be like for both models in the short to medium term

https://www.caseking.de/en/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-amp-holo-lhr-8192-mb-gddr6x-gczt-184.html

https://www.caseking.de/en/inno3d-geforce-rtx-3070-ichill-x4-lhr-8192-mb-gddr6-gci3-197.html

Isn't the Ti hash limited to bork mining whereas the non-Ti isn't?

Sorry for the double isn'ts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would assume that either

They are still selling at the higher price(in small quantity's) or
    They bought them at inflated prices and are hoping to recoup the cost.

Lumen wrote: »
    Isn't the Ti hash limited to bork mining whereas the non-Ti isn't?

Sorry for the double isn'ts.

You're right but that cheap (HA!) 3070 is also a LHR labeled card. They seem to have a mix of both types. I do wonder if its their suppliers that are screwing them in the first instance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Frankly, I suspect it's a case of "throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks"; I'd say distributors are starting to see a drop in demand due to the combination of lower mining returns, future uncertainty (ETH moving to POS) and possibly a bit of "normal" demand going down due to the easing of lockdowns/summer. Yet, they know there are people who've been waiting without a GPU and they'll try to fleece us for all they can.

That said, I'm still of the idea that the MSRP at launch back in September were little more than an headline grabbing exercise - sure, some people managed to get cards at prices close to them, but even OEMs soon started rising the prices. What they released the Ti cards at are more realistic prices in my view.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Frankly, I suspect it's a case of "throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks"; I'd say distributors are starting to see a drop in demand due to the combination of lower mining returns, future uncertainty (ETH moving to POS) and possibly a bit of "normal" demand going down due to the easing of lockdowns/summer. Yet, they know there are people who've been waiting without a GPU and they'll try to fleece us for all they can.

That said, I'm still of the idea that the MSRP at launch back in September were little more than an headline grabbing exercise - sure, some people managed to get cards at prices close to them, but even OEMs soon started rising the prices. What they released the Ti cards at are more realistic prices in my view.

A little academic now, all their 3070 Ti's are sold out :)
    Probably for the best, it was starting to look like a bargain in my eyes

A little academic now, all their 3070 Ti's are sold out :)
    Probably for the best, it was starting to look like a bargain in my eyes

It's amazing when you're looking at prices and no-availability for long enough, how your mind starts to rationalise double-rrp as a good deal :o I'm guilty of it myself, eyeing up €2000+ 3080Ti's this week saying "jesus that's not bad...."

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    It's amazing when you're looking at prices and no-availability for long enough, how your mind starts to rationalise double-rrp as a good deal :o I'm guilty of it myself, eyeing up €2000+ 3080Ti's this week saying "jesus that's not bad...."

"and sure what else would I be spending it on. Its basically a 3090 and those yokes are going for €3000. I'm saving €1000!"

"and sure what else would I be spending it on. Its basically a 3090 and those yokes are going for €3000. I'm saving €1000!"

Lol, exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

EVGA cards are showing on the tracker, but of course it's just the waiting list.

*sigh*

That's called the 'framing effect'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framing_effect_(psychology)

Had the exact same sentiments here too of late.

The day coin miners get their holes kicked good and proper is coming and I am taking that day off work and calling in sick the next day too.

We might be seeing the beginning of the end of these dark times:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-says-china-crypto-demand-waning-gpu-prices-dropping-report

I hope its a nice hard price crash. Not because I want to buy a card at a reasonable price but because I want to see sob stories from filthy scalpers left holding the bag on a pallet full of GPU's that they can't sell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I do think supply/demand is starting to improve. A few weeks ago on the partsalert twitter I was checking out some of the RTX cards that were showing up and they were way over RRP, gone instantly and had multiple replies from people giving out that they were gone instantly. The cards that are showing up now are cheaper, are still there by the time I have clicked the link (and it looks like even a few minutes later) and they get no replies. Hopefully, they get back to RRP soon and there is enough stock to just go on a website and buy instead of jumping on as soon as you get a tweet about stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

We might be seeing the beginning of the end of these dark times:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-says-china-crypto-demand-waning-gpu-prices-dropping-report

I hope its a nice hard price crash. Not because I want to buy a card at a reasonable price but because I want to see sob stories from filthy scalpers left holding the bag on a pallet full of GPU's that they can't sell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFp86n7QCf0

This guy sold up cos he reckons its a huge ponzi scheme and more and more are realising it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

In the last few months my mining profits have gone from $440 to $150 per month. Electricity costs would be $70/month(converted all to USD to make it easier calculate)

Since Jan it's paid for a full PC build with a RTX 3080 and some left over to buy a monitor when I find one I like.

I stopped mining over a month ago, it's not worth the waste of electricity but some people will continue even if the profit margins are tiny.
    I paid RRP for the 3080 but some who paid scalper prices will probably have a larger incentive to continue mining and try to get something back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some big drops across the board on the crypto markets today. Outlook for GPU availability certain a lot brighter looking at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Some big drops across the board on the crypto markets today. Outlook for GPU availability certain a lot brighter looking at the moment.

Not exactly how it works. Loads of transactions today so profits are up for miners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

harmless wrote: »
    Not exactly how it works. Loads of transactions today so profits are up for miners.

Plenty of transactions from people looking to get in on what they see as a bargain and have been waiting. Doubt the transaction volumes will keep up, same story with previous big drops in recent weeks. Trading volumes have been fairly steady and mining profitability is still taking a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

harmless wrote: »

Most miners get paid in Crypto too though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

any chance we could set up a seperate thread for crypto discussion? i get that some are interested in it and obviously it's graphics card relevant. but for those of us that aren't (and not just not interested, but against the idea completely and really don't want to read about lads posting about their "profits"), this is meant to be the rtx discusison. discussions on what the price is doing , specualation etc covers all the cards so split it out into a seperate thread, and keep this on the topic it's supposed to be for. i haven't read them but i imagine the AMD thread is the same and would benefit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mossym wrote: »
    but i imagine the AMD thread is the same and would benefit as well.

Not really, AMD's current gen suck in comparison(at mining) so they will be getting into gamers hands well before Nvidias it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Anyone reccomendations for a good 750W psu? Looking at the tier list, I'm thinking of the RM 750x but it's pricey enough. Worth just going down to a good 650W? Will probably end up going for something like the 6800XT if I can get it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Anyone reccomendations for a good 750W psu? Looking at the tier list, I'm thinking of the RM 750x but it's pricey enough. Worth just going down to a good 650W? Will probably end up going for something like the 6800XT if I can get it

Seasonic Focus GX. It's no harm going for the higher wattage to be honest considering the way things look to be going power consumption wise and leaves headroom for future upgrades. Especially when you're looking at PSUs that come with long term warranties, the seasonic has a 10 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Very happy with my Kolink Enclave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Always found Corsair to be brilliant and worth the money

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Seasonic Focus GX. It's no harm going for the higher wattage to be honest considering the way things look to be going power consumption wise and leaves headroom for future upgrades. Especially when you're looking at PSUs that come with long term warranties, the seasonic has a 10 year warranty

Another vote for the seasonic focus GX...i have the platinum version with a 15yr warranty.great supply

Advertisement