Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Recommend a good cheap coffee machine

• 21-06-2021 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

My Krups Nespresso machine broke over the weekend and want to replace it but it seems the vertuo is the new model. I want to be able to buy cheaper pods but with the Vertuo its not possible?

They older model machines are now more expensive than 3 years ago where you could also get 100 free coffee pods

Is there any other alternative option using ground coffee ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Good

Cheap

Choose one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess good is pretty subjective, whats good for 1 person is not necessarily for another. Personally I have no experience with nespresso machines other than using them in some offices I've been in.

I guess the main advantage is they are easy to use and produce a consistent cup each time, not everyone wants to be messing around with variables all the time.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the benefits of the newer vs older machines but it would make sense for nespresso to be pushing people away from the cheaper 3rd party pods as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You’ll need to define cheap.

I bought this a few months back when it was on sale at €600. Is €600 cheap? Depends who you ask and what you’re comparing it to.

I wanted a super automatic that I could press a button and get coffee. Moreover I wanted it so my wife could use it and when we have guests I don’t have the faff with a manual machine.

Will I get €600 worth of use out of it. I don’t see how I won’t unless it breaks very quickly. It gets used about 6 times a day at the moment so by my simple maths that’s about 27 cent a coffee if used for a year. I’d say that’s pretty cheap.

I you want cheap cheap though but still good coffee, get yourself a manual burr grinder and an aeropress. I still use this a couple of times a week. Filter is always a nice change of pace.

Frothy milk can be made on the cheap with a french press and hot milk or Aldi has milk froth era fairly regularly for €20 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Plus another few hundred for a decent grinder.

True... I bought at the right time and was able to find good deals... Unfortunately demand has been so high, that discounts are less likely. But a good grinder is a great help...

My brother used a hand grinder with the same machine as I have, but eventually started having his coffee ground by his coffee shop... Much better results.

If you want anything cheaper than the above, either go for a slow pour option like a chemex or French Press, or just go for a Nespresso machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Aeropress all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Bialetti mocha maker

€30 ish in Homestore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Like Aeropress, mine is a Bodum stainless steel press which is a wonderful piece of tech. I don't like the flimsy glass ones. This one has double walls so it is insulated and keeps.the coffee hot for a long time, it's also a nice looking piece of machinery. I grind my coffee in a cuisinart grinder, not too fancy.

https://www.bodum.com/ca/en/1312-16-bodum-columbia

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FairFrank

degzs wrote: »
    My Krups Nespresso machine broke over the weekend and want to replace it but it seems the vertuo is the new model. I want to be able to buy cheaper pods but with the Vertuo its not possible?

They older model machines are now more expensive than 3 years ago where you could also get 100 free coffee pods

Is there any other alternative option using ground coffee ?
    Hey! It depends on many factors. What is good for you and what is cheap? Take a look at DeLonghi and Breville machines(prices from €100). Breville's are not easy to clean(solved thx to manuals)
    All the best
    Frank

• Advertisement

Just to chime in again here.

The fact of the matter is you can not get anything close to good espresso out of a €100 machine or €200 for that matter.

The best budget espresso capable machine is a Gaggia Classic. Mod the OPV, mod the steamer and your set. These can be got second hand but make sure you look for one with the solenoid valve. There was a time when they cheaped out on that part.

The other problem is grinder. You can get your coffee ground but it’s going to go stale pretty much the day after it’s ground or at least less fresh with every passing day.

So you want to buy a grinder, again you can not grind espresso fine with a cheap grinder. It’s not possible. You need to spend a few hundred quid on this part alone.

Then again based on the fact that you had a nespresso machine I’m not even sure you’re looking for a manual machine and manual grinder.

Something like I bought and mentioned previously, a super automatic might be preferable.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8134002/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7C19780844%7CCoffee+machines%7C16527134/c_3/4%7Ccat_16527134%7CBean+to+cup+coffee+machines%7C16528289.htm

I paid €600 for that one and it is bleeding brilliant.

Is it as good as my old Gaggia classic no, but I can get a good consistent coffee out of it. And the wife can use it and guests etc. Press a button and you get coffee, espresso, americano, latte, etc..

You don’t even have to froth the milk like some of the other cheaper bean to cup machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭ablelocks

bought one of these after reading your post, and it's perfect for our needs. if you've any tips i'd love to hear them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'd love the convenience of a super-auto, but I've only ever had ok-ish experiences with the coffee out of them. I've a Gaggio Classic and a Sage Grinder Pro currently and I'm very happy with the coffee I can produce out of it, but my wife/guests won't touch it so it can be a lot of work.

i'm prepared to put in the work myself, so will probably get a small espresso machine and grinder at some point.

coffee from the siemens i think is very good - but nothing to compare against and still trying out different settings, beans and drinks.

I wouldn't be able to take step back quality wise I'd say so I'd imagine a superauto will always be out of the equation. I've had the Gaggia for around 10 years and it keeps soldiering on (plenty of preventative maintenance) and I'd say I'd have to stick with an espresso machine again if I was upgrading. It actually never even crossed my mind until my wife started drinking coffee, so maybe I just need to teach her how to make espresso and all my problems go away 😅

Yeah there’s no question about it that the espresso you can produce from a gaggia classic will be far better than a super auto machine.

I had my Gaggia for about ten years and like you lots of bits of simple maintenance to keep it going. Great machine.

But for me at the moment with working from home the missus can make her few coffees a day without pestering me to make them for her.

And when people call over I’m not standing making 5 cappuccinos in the corner for a half hour while everyone else is chatting.

The Siemens yolk makes decent consistent coffee that anyone can press a button and it’s done.

Being honest I don’t like milky coffee so unless I’m manic work wise I still use my aeropress. When I sold my Gaggia I kept my grinder so I had the option to make a really good black coffee which is all I really drink these days.

Do I miss the dialling in and getting the perfect espresso, yes, but the negatives outweighed the positives in the end for me at this moment and time.

Dammit, I'm flip flopping on my opinion again. My only experience with coffee from super auto machines was Delonghi machines using Lavazza beans, which isn't the best comparison in fairness. I might see if I can get a try of good machine with good beans to see how it fairs out.

Don’t be expecting anything close to Gaggia type dialled in coffee. I’d go as far as saying I wouldn’t bother drinkin the espresso from it even with good beans.

That said the missus loves it for making milky drinks.

if you're thinking of the siemens, i got mine used, very good from amazon italy for €404 + delivery - not a scratch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,490 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Oh, I see Sir is from Ireland; please to drop trousers and bend over. €51.60 in Canada and €189.90 if you select Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Ouch! The nether regions hurt from just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Delonghi are very well built machines , last forever. As for the coffee taste very average.

Siemens hardly better than delonghi taste wise , but definitely not so reliable.

If you looking for bean to cup which taste good , then probably

Melitta Solo&Perfect milk , Melita Passione or Nivona 520 .

They all different level to Delonghi coffee machines taste wise , but not so reliable.

Still all these machines won’t be as good as proper semiauto and grinder .

I think I’ve heard of one particular Jura model ( top of the range , mad money) they claim almost as good as semi auto.

Problem with Jura though , it is like buying brand new Ferrari car , you not supposed to service it yourself, and every 6 -12 months you have to disassemble brewing unit , lubricate some components etc. Unlike Delonghi brewing units those are very complex and hard-to-reach.

ps . Eugster/Frismag AG

making espresso machines for JURA , Melitta , Nivona , Siemens etc.

Thanks for the detailed response - that definitely helps to put me comfortably back in the "stay where I am" bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Like the OP, I've have been doing a bit of research on here for a new machine for the wife for Christmas. She currently has a Tassimo but would like to upgrade to a better machine and I've seen Melitta recommended a lot on here. I saw this on Amazon.de and was wondering if its a good deal??

https://www.amazon.de/automatic-pre-brewing-function-height-adjustable-removable/dp/B002NKR4VI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=melitta%2Bcaffeo%2Bsolo&qid=1632136572&s=kitchen&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUlo2SEZVWUc4SkxKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQ1MjgxWk82UUtBUFJFOVJQJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1ODAwOTkxN0pGUjVNS05BTzJNJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Fantastic

Fantastic machine if you prefer Lungo- Americano style coffee.

No milky option there though ( forget about latte/cappuchino)

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks Alec. Probably shouldn't admit it on here but I don't drink coffee so I've no clue in this area!

It's mainly Americanos she'd drinks so glad to hear that this is perfect for that 👍

Advertisement