Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NI reg and the republic

Options
  • 20-06-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    Moving to NI to study and hoping to stay so was thinking of changing my car before I move. How long could I have it in the republic before I’d have the declare to customs or is there any exemption?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you want to buy an NI reg car in ROI in preparation to move to NI later?
    How about driving your ROI car in NI instead? After a while you just swap existing reg from ROI to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ReginaC

Hi,
    Thanks for getting back. I guess I thought they would be more strict with a southern reg? I am wary about certain areas with a DL reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Your post is confusingly written.

As an Irish resident you're supposed to register and VRT any foreign car straight away. The customs people are pretty efficient on this.

If you're moving to the North to study you won't be entitled to bring any car back to the South VRT free. It would be different if you were moving for work.

If you genuinely have a NI address and you're coming back here on weekends then you can bring the car with you but you run the risk of having it seized if you try to bring it back permanently. I'd have your proof of address and NI licence with you in case you get stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ReginaC

athlone573 wrote: »
    Your post is confusingly written.

As an Irish resident you're supposed to register and VRT any foreign car straight away. The customs people are pretty efficient on this.

If you're moving to the North to study you won't be entitled to bring any car back to the South VRT free. It would be different if you were moving for work.

If you genuinely have a NI address and you're coming back here on weekends then you can bring the car with you but you run the risk of having it seized if you try to bring it back permanently. I'd have your proof of address and NI licence with you in case you get stopped.

I think my post is perfectly clear that I intend to move to NI and I am thinking of purchasing a car before moving. They only problem is towards the end of the second sentence where I used ‘the’ instead of ‘to’. You, however, have failed to answer clearly as I asked about exemptions such as a period of grace when moving. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭User1998

If you permanently live and work in Northern Ireland you don’t have to pay VRT. If you live and work in Ireland you have 30 days to pay VRT. You are allowed visit Ireland without having to VRT the car. There are several VRT manuals which you should read, they contain lots of information and go into further detail about exemptions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

No exemptions really

You must book an appointment with the NCTS within 7 days of your car's arrival into Ireland and you must complete the registration process within 30 days of your arrival.

Its Donegal though so ye have yere own ways of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭dickdasr1234

I can only assume that you are going to train as an EAL teacher!

Advertisement