Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collar and Elbow

Options
  • 20-06-2021 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭

I'd been fascinated to learn some time ago that Ireland once had its own native style of wrestling, which had basically died out by the start of the 20th century. It made me wonder why, exactly, the GAA did not take it on board as one of the games it sought to promote and preserve, instead of something like rounders which isn't even a uniquely Irish game.

Second question is whether there would be any interest within the GAA for trying to revive it? Here is a modern ruleset for the sport.

https://collarandelbow.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Collar-and-Elbow-Competition-Ruleset-v2.0.pdf

Could the GAA not even publish a ruleset like this and declare an interest in bringing this sport back, and have some open tournaments of some sort, just to gauge interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

briany wrote: »
    I'd been fascinated to learn some time ago that Ireland once had its own native style of wrestling, which had basically died out by the start of the 20th century. It made me wonder why, exactly, the GAA did not take it on board as one of the games it sought to promote and preserve, instead of something like rounders which isn't even a uniquely Irish game.

Second question is whether there would be any interest within the GAA for trying to revive it? Here is a modern ruleset for the sport.

https://collarandelbow.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Collar-and-Elbow-Competition-Ruleset-v2.0.pdf

Could the GAA not even publish a ruleset like this and declare an interest in bringing this sport back, and have some open tournaments of some sort, just to gauge interest?

Sounds very similar to Judo fascinating and the first ive ever heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

briany wrote: »

I like that there's a rule "no general dickheadery"

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to Judo fascinating and the first ive ever heard of it!

Same. As a lifelong wrestler I found it quite interesting as well. Amateur, 1-2 thousand year old sport. Seems like it would be a good fit. Wrestling, whether collegiate style or Freestyle/Greco is a fantastic sport.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Isn't there a book just published on the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I like that there's a rule "no general dickheadery"

Could do with that in the field games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Thanks for this. Never ever came across this.

Definitely in the wheelhouse of Paul Rouse...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Possibly because Collar and Elbow had a bit of a disreptuable reputation, with gambling and general rowdiness

I know a guy who's starting a study group for it, doubt it will ever raise to any level of national prominence again though, people would prefer Judo/MMA/BJJ

That rule should definitely be incorporated into all GAA rule books. Phily McMahon would never play again😋

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

It's a bit like that of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Don't think that's much of a disqualifier if Gaelic Football arose out of "kill the fella with the ball".

Yeah, I doubt there's much chance of it ever coming back, but I do think there was a better case for it at the GAA's inception than there was for Rounders, which... who even plays Rounders? Is there a big Rounders scene I'm not aware of? I youtubed "All Ireland Rounders Final" and came across a video of two teams playing a game in a field virtually empty of all except for the teams, referees and probably a few staff.

Anyway, this was not intended to be an anti-rounders post. It's a fine game to play in primary school PE. Just mystified at its inclusion above what would have been better candidates - collar and elbow, and road bowling.

I just like the concept in a world where GAA had adopted Collar and Elbow, you'd have the parish champion who all the other practitioner have to jockey to be eligible to take him on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They should bring this back to settle a game instead of penalties. Imagine two lads tearing into each other after extra time to win an all ireland

Advertisement