Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battery lawnmowers

Options
  • 22-04-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

Friend is looking for info a battery powered easy push lawnmower and thought i would ask here to see if any replies.Better state large grass area and ones i quicky looked at had a 2.0 ah battery and no mention of how long.

Some come barebones as no battery and charger and bought as extras:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this is the best value one i could find in ireland, in terms of width of cut and spare battery & charger included (they have cheaper ones too)

i'm getting delivery of one next week so i'll report back

fryup wrote: »
    this is the best value one i could find in ireland, in terms of width of cut and spare battery & charger included (they have cheaper ones too)

That looks a good one, we have a 36 volt 3 Ah battery in ours and use it for areas that are a pain for the ride on I would estimate that it would cut for an hour continuous depending on the length and whether or not the grass is dry or damp which will take more energy to cut.

Having 2 batteries is great.

Remember, never charge the batteries fully after use, if there's 30-50% in the battery after cutting leave it and only charge it when you need to use it next time. Best to store with 30-50% charge. This should ensure the batteries last a long time. They're not like Nicads either, you do not need to run them down to condition them the odd time or definitely don't run them completely flat as a way of conditioning, they have no memory effect.

Lithium batteries don't like to be at a high state of charge for long periods, storing at 100% for the Winter is a major no no.

memory effect?

what that in layman's terms

memory effect?

what that in layman's terms

In the old days of NiCd batteries, if you didn't run them completely flat or use the chargers discharge function.

NiCd cells didn't like being only partially discharged and recharged again they would loose capacity if they weren't ran completely flat, they would use the smaller used capacity over time, Lithium cells are the complete opposite they don't like being fully discharged or fully charged, the sweet spot is around 30-70% but of course if you need all the charge then use it.

and what type of battery does the one i linked to have? - it doesn't seem to say

• Advertisement

and what type of battery does the one i linked to have?

Lithium, great batteries these days. Without them we wouldn't have electric cars ;)

a good mineral to invest shares in? if electric cars are the future?

a good mineral to invest shares in? if electric cars are the future?

No idea, as always, depends on current share cost and how much it will rise in the future.

Update: i've used it twice and very disappointed with it:(

the roller for the stripes came off, the collection box keeps falling off when its half full, but above all else the battery life is poor - 15 to 20 min max

you do get a spare battery but still that's very poor running time imo, in short its tonka toy material

i shall be seeking a full refund forthwith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

My father and I have this one between us.
    Us it on a few large slopes where ride on can't go.
    It's a good mower but not cheap.

Also bought 2 spare batteries.
    It the grass is anyway long it drains the 2 batteries in 10mins. But if you keep it short you'd get 25 or 30mins out of a pair.
    Travels very well and takes a bit of abuse.

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/dewalt-dcmw564p2-18-volt-brushless-lawnmower-2-x-50ah-batteries/p-g14238

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

I got the Lidl one. It was 90 euro without batteries. They have only had 2ah batteries in stock for months. They do the job. Just. They are supposed to get 4ah batteries back - I asked them - but no sign. The 2ah batteries are about 15 euro each. I think if you buy a 2ah with the charger it is about 25-30 euro. And i think the double fast charger is about 25-30 euro too. It's a small machine. But it works fine. At that price level though you have to commit to cut the grass very frequently. I fly up and down once a week and the 2ah battery just about gets me through the front which I think is about 90 square meters.

I have two batteries but at 15 euro I'll just but a third I think. I also have the battery leaf blower from Lidl which uses 2 batteries (the original l reason I had batteries at all) but again you need to fly up and down with it. Use it on full power and you have only a couple of minutes of life. If they ever get the 4ah batteries back I'd probably buy 2 of them and one of the fast chargers. In the short term I might just buy 2 more 2ah. So in many respects that maybe points towards spending more than planned - so maybe a more expensive kit would have been better from day one. The upside of most of them is that the batteries can be used across that given range - and the individual tools are the cheaper as you buy them without battery.

Bottom line. If you buy a set-up with smaller capacity battery be prepared to buy a few extra batteries or else commit to cutting once a week and to put the boot down when doing so!

Be really careful with these batteries when charging and charge in a fire proof location with a smoke alarm near by. Most batteries are fine but an internal failure can happen. The same goes for e-bike and e-scooter batteries, never charge without basic protection such as a smoke alarm near by and do not charge near anything flammable.

Also, when finished with the batteries charge only to 40-50% not more, batteries are stressed the longer they're kept at higher charge % or too low, Lithium batteries that is, then when you need it next time, charge up only before you intend to cut the grass. This should see you get a good few years from the battery. And never store a Lithium battery over the winter fully charged.

Best if you have any decent lawn at all to get 4 Ah batteries or larger if possible and get two.

just to clarify, is that 25/30 mins for each battery or between the pair?

just to clarify, is that 25/30 mins for each battery or between the pair?

Between the 2 batteries. Now that's walking at full tilt with short grass. You cover plenty of ground.
    We've 6 batteries between us I think. Over 100 quid a battery.

My next door neighbour has a lidl or Aldi one. It covers surprising little ground. But he always skins the gtound

between 2??? so you only get 15min per battery??....but that's very poor esp from a quality make like DeWalt ..i'd be expecting 45min per battery esp at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I look forward to a review as I too have been wondering about taking the leap to this type of mower. My biggest worry would be how are batteries affected (if at all) over the winter months with little or no usage?, I suppose its all about insuring proper dry storage? No doubting 2 batteries a big plus

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

^^^^^^^^

go to post 10

between 2??? so you only get 15min per battery??....but that's very poor esp from a quality make like DeWalt ..i'd be expecting 45min per battery esp at that price

It takes a pair at one.
    5Ah batteries.

Dad mows a 100m bank with it. Say 7 runs.
    Then the verge outside the house (0.5 acre site) and the verge next door, same. Both 4 runs.
    Mulches it all

If the grass the heavy I've used the 6 batteries
    But it was light last week. Used 2 and 2 halves. So 3 but you'd have to own 4 batteries or stop and recharge your 2

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I look forward to a review as I too have been wondering about taking the leap to this type of mower. My biggest worry would be how are batteries affected (if at all) over the winter months with little or no usage?, I suppose its all about insuring proper dry storage? No doubting 2 batteries a big plus

The batteries are removable. Put in kitchen press for winter

So 3 but you'd have to own 4 batteries or stop and recharge your 2

so that mower takes two batteries at a time?? and you say you bought spare batteries at 100 quid each?? sure that's extortionate

this one here is much better value, wider cut and the battery last for 45 mins +

greenworks 80volt

• Advertisement

so that mower takes two batteries at a time?? and you say you bought spare batteries at 100 quid each?? sure that's extortionate

this one here is much better value, wider cut and the battery last for 45 mins +

greenworks 80volt

2 came with it. But the mower was 6 or 7 hundred.
    The spare batteries are nearer 150 than 100
    We had 3 others between us previously.
    Bougth 1 more.

We have a load of DeWalt tools between us so had the 3 batteries. We'd have bought another 1 or 2 batteries anyway.

We've 3 drills, Skil saw, 2 torches, multitool, grinder, impact driver, impract gun......

45 min for the other one probably after a dry week and cutting a cm of grass.

The DeWalt is a very well built mower. We use it for very rough ground. Not gardens. Been doing it for 5 years.
    You need to be realistic with charge in these things.

My father has a ride on for the garden. This is for all the other stuff

Dempo1 wrote: »

Winter storage will have absolutely no effect but "ONLY" if you store them around 40-50% charge do not ever store a lithium battery at full or empty charge as this can greatly degrade the life of the battery. It will still work in the Summer but you will not get a long time from the battery if you store a Lithium battery fully charged for an entire Winter. Modern batteries should last years if you do this + after use charge to again, 40-50% and charge up to 100% only before you use it, night before is fine. Batteries are stressed more the longer they are at high charge % or very low %.

Be really careful with these batteries when charging and charge in a fire proof location with a smoke alarm near by. Most batteries are fine but an internal failure can happen. The same goes for e-bike and e-scooter batteries, never charge without basic protection such as a smoke alarm near by and do not charge near anything flammable.
    The batteries are removable. Put in kitchen press for winter

Storing in the shed is fine, batteries like to be stored in a cool environment but never charge a battery if it's anywhere near freezing in the shed, bring the battery in and let it warm up over night then charge the next day.

Also, leaving a Li battery in the press is not a good idea they must be stored in a fireproof location with a smoke alarm near by. These batteries have internal protection systems and they can fail but there is absolutely no protection from a rogue cell failing causing thermal runaway or fire.

It's not the Ah that matters but the Watt Hrs.

What voltage are your batteries folks ? volts and Ah ?

Multiply the volts by the Ah and you get the Watt Hrs, the Watt Hrs is the total storage you have in the battery, the more Watt Hrs the more run time.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of those batteries are over rated, it's well known that manufacturers do this, it's possible.

Cutting grass before it gets long is a good idea.

By the way, a cold battery will also have less energy and higher internal resistance so it won't be able to provide the same level of power and can sag, what I mean by sag is that under load the voltage will drop higher than normal and at a certain point in the charge that could be enough to trip the battery protection, this is emphasised with cheaper quality batteries, So make sure your batteries are room temp before charging and use, they like to be stored cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

I have some Ego gardening equipment + batteries and while expensive it is excellent piece of kit for a larger garden. The batteries themselves automatically discharge to 30% if left unattended for more than 30 days so one less thing to worry about. The largest battery I have (7.5A @ 56v = 420 Watt hrs) is 3 years old at this stage and still runs for about 50 minutes.

The DeWalt are all 18V
    5Ah

It's not the Ah that matters but the Watt Hrs.

What voltage are your batteries folks ? volts and Ah ?

Multiply the volts by the Ah and you get the Watt Hrs, the Watt Hrs is the total storage you have in the battery, the more Watt Hrs the more run time.

so how do calculate watt hours into running time??

mine is 60v x 2ah = 120watt hrs (but the actual running time is 35 minutes'ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭blackbox

Remember, never charge the batteries fully after use, if there's 30-50% in the battery after cutting leave it and only charge it when you need to use it next time. Best to store with 30-50% charge. This should ensure the batteries last a long time. They're not like Nicads either, you do not need to run them down to condition them the odd time or definitely don't run them completely flat as a way of conditioning, they have no memory effect.

Lithium batteries don't like to be at a high state of charge for long periods, storing at 100% for the Winter is a major no no.

I have a golf trolley and a robot mower with lithium batteries. Both manufacturers recommend storing them fully charged. Including over winter.

Can you please let us know where you got this advice.

Darwin wrote: »
    I have some Ego gardening equipment + batteries and while expensive it is excellent piece of kit for a larger garden. The batteries themselves automatically discharge to 30% if left unattended for more than 30 days so one less thing to worry about. The largest battery I have (7.5A @ 56v = 420 Watt hrs) is 3 years old at this stage and still runs for about 50 minutes.

That's fantastic, glad to see some companies are paying attention ! Need Ebike and E-scooter manufacturers to do the same. :D

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    I have a golf trolley and a robot mower with lithium batteries. Both manufacturers recommend storing them fully charged. Including over winter.

Can you please let us know where you got this advice.

I Researched this for a long time when I was building ebikes and it's well known and understood that leaving li batteries fully charged or discharged for long periods can and will degrade their life.

This advice to leave li batteries fully charged for storage is very bad.

There's lots of knowledge about Lithium batteries in the link below but also review university studies and papers.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

Also check here.

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-702-how-to-store-batteries

Li-ion has higher losses if stored fully charged rather than at a SoC of 40 percent.

Advertisement