Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Under France’s new travel rules, children are considered to have the same vaccination status as their accompanying adult

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Travel-France-Under-18s-covered-by-parent-s-Covid-vaccine-status

Edit - kids still need a test on entry though unless coming from greenlist country

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Edit - kids still need a test on entry though unless coming from greenlist country

Kids as in over 11?

Confusing all these rules and tests, plus different requirements for different countries!

Has anyone researched where to get PCR tests in France for the return journey back into Ireland?

Its not clear as yet. It looks like they will be free at least.
    Hopefully it will be easily accessible places like chemists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

MorganIRL wrote: »
    my employer is holding to a mandatory 2 wk unpaid isolation if we leave to Europe

On what basis is your employer able to do that post July 19th? It would be a shame if you've cancelled your holiday on the basis of something your employer cannot and ultimately will not do.

How would your employer even know where you went on your holiday?

I can understand your employer saying they wouldn't pay you if you had to quarantine / self isolate on return from France post July 19th (and weren't able to work from home etc) but assuming you're vaccinated or have a negative PCR test on arrival back from France what's stopping you returning to work just as you would if you'd spent 2 weeks in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

M_Murphy57 wrote:
    Someone posted on another thread they should be available to download from the 17th.

Thanks. Do you know from who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

MorganIRL wrote: »
    RANT COMING....Just cancelled our holiday this year with Canvas in France. I'm raging (maybe unjustified some will say) as they wouldn't move the deposit only €99 to next year for us. They asked last year to hold the deposit from last year's holiday so they would have operational funds (I think this is wording they said) but they won't reciprocate this year. They have lost me and my friends (same boat as us) as customers, I'm sure we weren't the first judging by the customer services reaction, no management available to speak to when I asked. Basically said as Ireland is allowing holidays from the 19th July nothing stopping us (my employer is holding to a mandatory 2 wk unpaid isolation if we leave to Europe) taking up the holiday..I think it's bad form from Canvas, while IF who everyone seemed to ridicule for there customer service have given a credit note to be used next year..

If I were you I'd be making an enquiry on the legality of the bit in bold from Citizens Information or a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Sol a gogo campsite came back to me and they had a mobile for one week in July 2022, so that didn't suit. I booked with Kelair this afternoon, 12 nights in sol a gogo. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

Do most people bring a roof box? We will probably rent one for the first year.

Are groceries in the big supermarkets around the same price as here. We would shop in Dunnes or Supervalu. Trying to do a bit of budgeting.

Can anyone advise what it costs to rent bikes? Do they have tandem bikes in any campsites?

What's the story with washing clothes. Do people just bring a bit of detergent from Ireland and wash things in the sink as needs be and bring anything very dirty home? Or do most do a few washes in the commonal machines on sites. What do they cost and do you have to hang around waiting for it?

Also, do people bring alot of stuff with them. When we rent a holiday house in Ireland I bring alot of my own stuff, as I like to have my own salad bowl, lettuce drier, tea towels etc.

If groceries are alot more expensive in the big supermarkets in France, do people bring a certain amount of non perishable groceries and toiletries with them.

Apologies for all the novice questions. TIA

I booked with Kelair this afternoon, 12 nights in sol a gogo. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

You'll have a great time there. I haven't been to the site but know where it is as I spent a few years holidaying in St Jean de Mont and love the area. Always liked the pizza restaurant just down the road from Sol a GoGo as it happens, think it's part of another campsite actually.
    Do most people bring a roof box? We will probably rent one for the first year.

Yeah we always have. when the kids were younger it was great for all the extra stuff you like to have for them. In later years we pack our clothes in bin bags and fill the roof box so we can keep the boot free for wine etc on the way home ;)

Rather than jump into renting why not put out a call on Facebook to see if any of your contacts has one they'd let you use and in return you can bring them back some wine as a thank you? Most people who have their own roof box only use it once a year so.
    Are groceries in the big supermarkets around the same price as here. We would shop in Dunnes or Supervalu. Trying to do a bit of budgeting.

Yeah similar for a lot of stuff like detergents etc and I actually find more expensive for fresh meat but much cheaper for fresh fruit and veg, cheese and wine etc. It's swings and roundabouts.
    Can anyone advise what it costs to rent bikes? Do they have tandem bikes in any campsites?

Depends on the type of bike you want but typical leisure bikes tend to cost €8-€10 a day but you can get deals like €50 for a week. Haven't seen tandem bikes offered for rent but have seen bikes with towing trailers for kids/ dogs / stuff.

I do a lot of cycling and know supply chains are completely dysfunctional due to factories closing during Covid whilst demand sky rocketed so prices have gone up and lead times are ridiculous so it's possible bikes may not be as freely available to rent as prior years and / or may be more expensive.
    What's the story with washing clothes. Do people just bring a bit of detergent from Ireland and wash things in the sink as needs be and bring anything very dirty home? Or do most do a few washes in the commonal machines on sites. What do they cost and do you have to hang around waiting for it?

Spot on. Wash what you can in the sink and plan one or two washes in the communal facility. Each site is slightly different but older machines will need €1 and €2 coins and you'll more or less have to hang around to transfer from washing machine to dryer and then collect when finished. Easy enough to just plan to do especially if you're planning a "down" day or the weather isn't great.
    Also, do people bring alot of stuff with them. When we rent a holiday house in Ireland I bring alot of my own stuff, as I like to have my own salad bowl, lettuce drier, tea towels etc.

Yes we always bring things like a Nutri Bullet blender for making smoothies, cocktails, sauces and marinades etc, a Mocha pot for making coffee (even though there's almost always a French Press provided), some knives and a chopping board for prepping food, my own BBQ tools etc We only do this because we tend to have the space to do so with a large roof box. It's really not necessary but we find those things make kitchen life a lot easier Vs what comes as standard in the mobile.
    If groceries are alot more expensive in the big supermarkets in France, do people bring a certain amount of non perishable groceries and toiletries with them.

If you have favorite items or just room to bring some essentials which will take pressure off you having to find them straight away when you arrive then why not?
    Apologies for all the novice questions. TIA

No need for apologies, everyone on this thread was a novice at some stage. The whole idea of the thread is to share info and tips etc. I've certainly benefitted from others knowledge and assistance over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Baybay

54and56 wrote: »
    ...plan one or two washes in the communal facility.

Jeepers, fair play 54and56!

First Up wrote: »
    Thanks. Do you know from who?

I dont know the exact url* but you download a QR code from the govt (think you can print it out on paper either) which should be available from the 17th (or later for people not yet vaccinated obvs)

The airlines etc are all using an EU app called verifier that scans the QR code and verifies via *insert IT magic* it's legit and govt issued.

*govt will have to let us know the link/process obviously but will probably leave it to last minute.com to try to put people off going abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

54and56 wrote:
    Rather than jump into renting why not put out a call on Facebook to see if any of your contacts has one they'd let you use and in return you can bring them back some wine as a thank you? Most people who have their own roof box only use it once a year so.

Don't forget that you also need roof bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Don't forget that with a roof box you'll now be at least 1.9m high, possibly higher.
    Some car parks, etc may be no go places with the extra height.

You'll have a great time there. I haven't been to the site but know where it is as I spent a few years holidaying in St Jean de Mont and love the area. Always liked the pizza restaurant just down the road from Sol a GoGo as it happens, think it's part of another campsite actually.

Yeah we always have. when the kids were younger it was great for all the extra stuff you like to have for them. In later years we pack our clothes in bin bags and fill the roof box so we can keep the boot free for wine etc on the way home ;)

Yeah similar for a lot of stuff like detergents etc and I actually find more expensive for fresh meat but much cheaper for fresh fruit and veg, cheese and wine etc. It's swings and roundabouts.

Depends on the type of bike you want but typical leisure bikes tend to cost €8-€10 a day but you can get deals like €50 for a week. Haven't seen tandem bikes offered for rent but have seen bikes with towing trailers for kids/ dogs / stuff.

I do a lot of cycling and know supply chains are completely dysfunctional due to factories closing during Covid whilst demand sky rocketed so prices have gone up and lead times are ridiculous so it's possible bikes may not be as freely available to rent as prior years and / or may be more expensive.

Spot on. Wash what you can in the sink and plan one or two washes in the communal facility. Each site is slightly different but older machines will need €1 and €2 coins and you'll more or less have to hang around to transfer from washing machine to dryer and then collect when finished. Easy enough to just plan to do especially if you're planning a "down" day or the weather isn't great.

Yes we always bring things like a Nutri Bullet blender for making smoothies, cocktails, sauces and marinades etc, a Mocha pot for making coffee (even though there's almost always a French Press provided), some knives and a chopping board for prepping food, my own BBQ tools etc We only do this because we tend to have the space to do so with a large roof box. It's really not necessary but we find those things make kitchen life a lot easier Vs what comes as standard in the mobile.

If you have favorite items or just room to bring some essentials which will take pressure off you having to find them straight away when you arrive then why not?

No need for apologies, everyone on this thread was a novice at some stage. The whole idea of the thread is to share info and tips etc. I've certainly benefitted from others knowledge and assistance over the years.

54 and 56, thank you so much for that reply. I have a better idea now of what we can bring etc. I don't think I know anyone well enough to borrow a roofbox, as in my own family and close friends don't have them. But thanks for the suggestion. I like your empty boot strategy for the wine to bring home!
    Very excited now, only 55 weeks to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

josip wrote: »
    Don't forget that with a roof box you'll now be at least 1.9m high, possibly higher.
    Some car parks, etc may be no go places with the extra height.

this is true, it's worth taking the box off when you get to the campsite, as in particular many beach car parks have height barriers.

If you have a tall car (like an SUV or MPV) putting the box on and off can be difficult without a step-ladder. I used to pull the car right up beside the decking and stand on top of the rails to unscrew the brackets.

loyatemu wrote: »
    this is true, it's worth taking the box off when you get to the campsite, as in particular many beach car parks have height barriers.

If you have a tall car (like an SUV or MPV) putting the box on and off can be difficult without a step-ladder. I used to pull the car right up beside the decking and stand on top of the rails to unscrew the brackets.

That sounds like alot of hassle. is it very complicated taking it off. We are going to go with a crowd who rent them out so they can fit it and take it off for us. I didnt realise it would cause an issue going into certain places. We have an SUV type car.

That sounds like alot of hassle. is it very complicated taking it off. We are going to go with a crowd who rent them out so they can fit it and take it off for us. I didnt realise it would cause an issue going into certain places. We have an SUV type car.

it's not a dealbreaker, it just means you will occasionally find it more difficult to park.

In terms of taking it on/off, on our box at least, the brackets are attached inside the box, so you have to lean into it to do/undo them. For the the brackets on the hinged side, this can be awkward on a tall car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

We take ours on/off 3 or 4 times over the summer, sometimes just for the sake of a week.
    Ours is the Exodus model from Halfords and it's a 2 minutes job to unsnap the internal fasteners.
    You might need 2 people to take it off, although 1 confident, strong person should manage it.
    The longest part is overcoming the OCD in the early years when you try to centre the bars equally under the box for weight distribution AND align it perfectly square so as to minimise the frontal area at motorway speeds.
    By year 5, those will no longer be a concern and putting it on is more like, "..be grand."

The longest part is overcoming the OCD in the early years when you try to centre the bars equally under the box for weight distribution AND align it perfectly square so as to minimise the frontal area at motorway speeds.
    By year 5, those will no longer be a concern and putting it on is more like, "..be grand."

I've been putting mine right over to the passenger side in order to fit a bike rack alongside it, it's grand. Provided it doesn't stick out further than the wing mirrors...

one thing that I haven't mentioned is the extra noise, particularly if you have a fancy glass roof on your car. We had a Renault with a so-called "panoramic roof" and it was like being on a helicopter when we had the roofbox on at motorway speeds. Much better now we have a car with a standard roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

We take ours on/off 3 or 4 times over the summer, sometimes just for the sake of a week.
    Ours is the Exodus model from Halfords and it's a 2 minutes job to unsnap the internal fasteners.
    You might need 2 people to take it off, although 1 confident, strong person should manage it.

Over the years I'd graduated to the " be grand" :D option until a few years ago leaving Carteret on the way to Cherbourg the load as they say shifted! Luckily we were on a quiet stretch of road and after a few expletives and a quick repack we were on our way again! :o

it's not a dealbreaker, it just means you will occasionally find it more difficult to park.

The amount of times I forgot we had a roofbox and found out the hard / stupid way :o

I quickly learned the benefit of being able to access all car parks and not having to worry about the roofbox was worth the 5 minute hassle of taking it off at the start of the holiday and putting it back on again on the last day for packing.
    In terms of taking it on/off, on our box at least, the brackets are attached inside the box, so you have to lean into it to do/undo them. For the the brackets on the hinged side, this can be awkward on a tall car.

We do it by opening the doors and standing on the seats and for securing the internal brackets I just get one of the kids (now 16!!) to hop up pretty much into the box making sure they only put their weight (hands / feet) over the roof bars and not where the box isn't supported. Takes about a minute to secure the 4 screw down brackets in our box. Never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

On what basis is your employer able to do that post July 19th? It would be a shame if you've cancelled your holiday on the basis of something your employer cannot and ultimately will not do.

How would your employer even know where you went on your holiday?

I can understand your employer saying they wouldn't pay you if you had to quarantine / self isolate on return from France post July 19th (and weren't able to work from home etc) but assuming you're vaccinated or have a negative PCR test on arrival back from France what's stopping you returning to work just as you would if you'd spent 2 weeks in Wexford?

Thanks guys, the mandatory 2 wks wasn't really the killer, it was the PCR test for our 2 eldest, and the concern of a positive test for one or both. The costs of such a thing staying in France for the quarantine. Unlike some we wouldn't travel back unless we got a negative test.. the bug bear is the unsympathetic approach from Canvas, when the ball is in there court this time and they have the legal side with them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies about the roof box. I don't think we will be leaving the immediate campsite area much. Our two will have just turned six and they have never been abroad, so i think we will be very much based in the site and the direct access beach for this trip. So we can just try and leave it on. I'm the handy person in our house and I think I'd prefer to leave the box on rather than mess it up.
    My hope is that we will absolutely love the trip, and we can buy a roof box then and I will have time to work it out, practice putting it on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Olivia, a lot of good advice there and your location has everything you need and more. If you arrive on a Sunday beware that most shops are closed. Things have got better over the last few years and you will find in the bigger resorts supermarkets open on Sunday morning.

We would generally a pack frozen cooked meal for the first night and keep it in a cool bag/box. Between the ferry and the drive it is ready to heat up by the time you arrive. Also a frozen litre of milk or two is handy. Just means that you have something feed the crew on your first night and morning. You will find the French like to shop in the mornings, so most are packed, they are empty after lunch. This means you can have the beach to yourself in the AM. The French arrive on the beach around midday, and you will more than likely leave then with your Irish skin, and have the shops to yourself.

Finally, you will always pack too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wally Runs wrote: »

Finally, you will always pack too much.

This.

Been over 7 or 8 times at this stage, cut back on packing Every year and still come back with something not worn:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tfeldi

We have decided to move our trip to next year. How do I move our Irish Ferries tickets from August this year to summer next year? They are flexible but booked with Tesco clubcard points.

The sailing schedule is only shown until early October. So, do I need to move the ticket in multiple stages? So first to October and in October to a few months further to eventually end up with a summer 2022 booking, or is there a better option?

Thanks Wally and Shamo for those tips. We are arriving early on a weekday, so we should be OK for the big shop at the start. That's a very good idea about bringing the frozen dinner.
    Like all women I know, i will bring too much clothes for myself and my children. I don't think I will ever manage to not do that.

For anyone who has been in the St. Jean de Mont/St. Hilaire de Riez area for Bastille day, would you recommend anywhere in particular for fireworks. Hopefully all those things will be back to normal for 14 July 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

For anyone who has been in the St. Jean de Mont/St. Hilaire de Riez area for Bastille day, would you recommend anywhere in particular for fireworks. Hopefully all those things will be back to normal for 14 July 2022.

Anywhere on the prom for fireworks, more will be happening in St. Jean.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Anywhere on the prom for fireworks, more will be happening in St. Jean.

Even not on the prom, we could see them from our campsite one year, which was quite a bit away.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭westgolf

Anybody hired or rented a roofbox for their trip ? We changed the primary car since our last trip. Had an insignia with a huge boot, now have a qashqai with a smaller boot. Looking at renting but would buy if it's a better deal. Will need it for two separate staycation trips this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

westgolf wrote: »
    Anybody hired or rented a roofbox for their trip ? We changed the primary car since our last trip. Had an insignia with a huge boot, now have a qashqai with a smaller boot. Looking at renting but would buy if it's a better deal. Will need it for two separate staycation trips this year.

There is a company that hire online, but I thought expensive.. keep an eye on done deal and adverts and 1 or 2 pop up. And if you don't get one, hire for trip while watching the same sites again during the off season to buy 2nd hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

westgolf wrote: »

Have you raised roof rails on the qashgai if so I have a set of roof bars that will fit

Advertisement