Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arrival delivery van

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Saw this and a bus on fully charged. Hopefully this is the start of a move away from diesel vans in cities. Thankfully a lot of the post vans seem to have already gone electric, i'd love to know how they are doing. Must ask the post man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

TBi wrote: »
    Saw this and a bus on fully charged. Hopefully this is the start of a move away from diesel vans in cities. Thankfully a lot of the post vans seem to have already gone electric, i'd love to know how they are doing. Must ask the post man!

They are all kangoos so far.. few small issues,one major .. but ideal for city work,110 km real world range.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Our postie loves his. Had a good chat with him a few weeks ago about it. Like driving a golf cart he says 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

Amazon has 50 EV vans in Belfast

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2020/12/18/news/amazon-rolls-out-50-electric-delivery-vans-in-belfast-2164030/

Not sure on the brand but some have been using public chargers mid shift as they don't have full shift range on busy covid days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think it's Mercedes eSprinter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They are all kangoos so far.. few small issues,one major .. but ideal for city work,110 km real world range.

Looks like they’re expanding from the Kangoos. Saw an eVito in Waterford this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭innrain

The sorting center in Carrickmines has a couple of Mercedes not sure if evito or esprinter. Is the smaller one but bigger that Kangoo. My postman drives a Kangoo. Previously he was coming with his own Octavia.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Looks like they’re expanding from the Kangoos. Saw an eVito in Waterford this morning.

had it the full livery? we had one or two different ones in on a trial that were not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

Photo from Facebook today. At J14 mayfield

556045.jpg

Remove front badge for charge port (CCS)

556047.jpg

Not arrival, no idea on specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

55kWh battery and 20 kW CCS charging. So it's not even 0.5C rate. 10-80% quoted in 2 hours.
    Apparently (at least in UK) CCS is an option. The standard is 7kW AC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Kango in use in Killarney but apparently not able for any of the hilly routes - won’t do 100km with stop start up and down steep driveways etc. My tyreman told me they only get 6000 miles out
    of a set of tyres

Casati wrote: »
    Kango in use in Killarney but apparently not able for any of the hilly routes - won’t do 100km with stop start up and down steep driveways etc. My tyreman told me they only get 6000 miles out
    of a set of tyres

Sounds like someone is driving the crap out of it. These will easily tear up the tyres if constantly driven hard. Same with any other car, but more post vehicles wouldn't have the torque of an electric car.

Loads of regen going down hills unless someone doesn't know how to use it or purposely not using it. I call bull-poop.

Loads of regen going down hills unless someone doesn't know how to use it or purposely not using it. I call bull-poop.[/quote

Is regen an optional use thing, surely the car will regen when the driver takes the foot off the accelerator going down a hill? If the driver has to engage regen on each of the hundreds of hills daily I can assure you they won’t be using that feature

A postie could stop at 4-600 places a day,that's a lot of stopping ,reversing,going again ,in and out of gardens,but I have heard of one van the tyres only lasted 8000 km ... Front ones obviously.

Is regen an optional use thing, surely the car will regen when the driver takes the foot off the accelerator going down a hill? If the driver has to engage regen on each of the hundreds of hills daily I can assure you they won’t be using that feature

If people accelerate and brake hard in an electric car they won't use much regen, my i3 regularly gets 120+km but if i want to i could get down to less than 80km by driving like an idiot. I'd also be tearing up the tyres (like anyone would driving around a race track, or acting like the road is a race track).

I had an old co worker who said the clutch in his Focus was crap because it died early. Also the one in his old Micra was crap for same reason. I went for a spin with him and he held the car on every hill using the clutch. You could smell the clutch burning but he thought it was just cheap/bad parts.

If people accelerate and brake hard in an electric car they won't use much regen, my i3 regularly gets 120+km but if i want to i could get down to less than 80km by driving like an idiot. I'd also be tearing up the tyres (like anyone would driving around a race track, or acting like the road is a race track).

I had an old co worker who said the clutch in his Focus was crap because it died early. Also the one in his old Micra was crap for same reason. I went for a spin with him and he held the car on every hill using the clutch. You could smell the clutch burning but he thought it was just cheap/bad parts.

Well I don’t think the post workers drive like they are in a race track but obviously the stop start nature of country routes means braking soon after they accelerate so I guess that’s why the range is low. Probably the worst vehicle to buy second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well I don’t think the post workers drive like they are in a race track but obviously the stop start nature of country routes means braking soon after they accelerate so I guess that’s why the range is low. Probably the worst vehicle to buy second hand

Haven't seen some of the postmen around here so :p one oul lad skids into our driveway (stones) all the time. Leaves little stone mounds which I have to go out and rake down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Both my local An Post and DPD parcel delivery drivers have EV vans now. Great to see.

I've also seen that Dublin Bus and Irish Rail have EV cars now. Kona Electric, DB for the inspectors, not sure about IR.

Great to see more and more EV's being used like this.

BTW The NTA have awarded a tender for 200 single deck city buses to ADL-BYD Enviro200EV, 45 in the initial order. Tender for 800 double decker EV's is ongoing, expected later this year.

Advertisement