Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For 65% of the public no or almost no threat (because herd immunity would mean little or no threat) wouldn't be enough to get rid of restrictions.

Do you think there should be any restrictions, or any justification for them, at the moment in Ireland based on the present data? Not about potential variants. Just purely based on the number of hospitalisations in a population of 4 and a half million.

Sorry, but couldn't decode what your answer to the question was there.

Do you think that if there are continuing restrictions it will be due to the pandemic still being a risk to the population or not?

robinph wrote: »
    Sorry, but couldn't decode what your answer to the question was there.

Do you think that if there are continuing restrictions it will be due to the pandemic still being a risk to the population or not?

No. It will be because 65% of the public want restrictions to continue. And because there'll be no pressure put on the government to repeal the laws and the 'safety at all costs' society won't disappear. It's just not realistic to believe it will. But I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong. I don't really care either way. The damage has been done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No. It will be because 65% of the public want restrictions to continue. And because there'll be no pressure put on the government to repeal the laws and the 'safety at all costs' society won't disappear. It's just not realistic to believe it will. But I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong. I don't really care either way. The damage has been done.

So you think that the population will deliberately ask for laws to be kept in place when the pandemic has clearly departed? The population will want additional restrictions to stay in place when clearly not needed and once other countries have dropped those same restrictions?

I think you are reading way too much into the results of that survey you are quoting. They were not saying that they want permanent restrictions in place, it's more that they don't expect things to suddenly switch back to February 2020 way of doing things overnight and it will take a while for some things to return to normal.

robinph wrote: »
    So you think that the population will deliberately ask for laws to be kept in place when the pandemic has clearly departed? The population will want additional restrictions to stay in place when clearly not needed and once other countries have dropped those same restrictions?

I think you are reading way too much into the results of that survey you are quoting. They were not saying that they want permanent restrictions in place, it's more that they don't expect things to suddenly switch back to February 2020 way of doing things overnight and it will take a while for some things to return to normal.

I do because I believe that most people want to live in a zero risk society. Or at least a zero covid risk society. One shouldn't underestimate how much psychological damage has been done to people in 18 months. It used to be the case that every thing was permitted unless prohibited by law. Now it's nothing is allowed unless permitted by law.

But maybe I am reading too much into it. I just don't understand why herd immunity being achieved wouldn't mean life resuming as normal for 65% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Gortanna wrote: »
    65% want it to continue even after most people have been vaccinated and herd immunity has therefore been achieved: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-public-split-on-pace-of-lifting-covid-19-restrictions-1.4596630

I didn't read this until now. I find it hard to believe this is the case, but there you are. Anyway, it probably would take a red see styled poll to get a more accurate reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why would 65% of people want restrictions kept in place once we reach herd immunity?
    Is that global or Irish herd immunity?

tom1ie wrote: »
    Why would 65% of people want restrictions kept in place once we reach herd immunity?
    Is that global or Irish herd immunity?

Herd immunity in Ireland.

eddie73 wrote: »
    I didn't read this until now. I find it hard to believe this is the case, but there you are. Anyway, it probably would take a red see styled poll to get a more accurate reading.

I'm not particularly surprised by the results of that poll. Masks are popular and signs are everywhere telling people to wear one and about how they keep everyone safe.

In Moscow, those who don't get vaccinated are set to be refused routine medical treatment: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/06/18/moscow-hospitals-to-limit-treatment-to-vaccinated-patients-a74258

Similar noises are being made in the UK: https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2021/06/18/delingpole-no-jab-no-nhs-treatment-suits-me-just-fine/

I think something similar will happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ireland, and possibly the UK. We'll known on the 19th of July. If restrictions aren't aren't scrapped in the UK, or maybe it'd be more accurate to say England, on the 19th then I don't see how they could ever be scrapped. Because covid isn't going away.

Nothing can be extrapolated from July 19th as the UK will not have reached herd immunity by then, you have admitted this is the criteria to drop mask wearing yet are holding the UK to a different standard, why are you doing that? I would also argue that the poll is for "most people" not "herd immunity" and we would see a different answer to the latter statement.

Israel reached herd immunity and dropped the mask wearing requirement, other countries will follow suit as they reach that milestone themselves.

Are you getting vaccinated in order to reach the herd immunity milestone?

astrofool wrote: »
    Nothing can be extrapolated from July 19th as the UK will not have reached herd immunity by then, you have admitted this is the criteria to drop mask wearing yet are holding the UK to a different standard, why are you doing that? I would also argue that the poll is for "most people" not "herd immunity" and we would see a different answer to the latter statement.

Israel reached herd immunity and dropped the mask wearing requirement, other countries will follow suit as they reach that milestone themselves.

Are you getting vaccinated in order to reach the herd immunity milestone?

I wonder how the UK hasn't reached herd immunity yet. I read recently that 8 out of 10 adults have antibodies. If children have to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity then restrictions will drag on.

Kind of dropped it. Still required on planes and in certain settings if unvaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Dan Andrews wants to be able to lockdown the state over and over again. It's not a claim, it's happening. Why would lockdowns go away? They're very popular. Poll after poll tells us they are.
    You haven't answered my question.
    Why aren't you guys able to give a straight answer?

Why does the government want to implement lockouts randomly for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,482 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I wonder how the UK hasn't reached herd immunity yet. I read recently that 8 out of 10 adults have antibodies. If children have to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity then restrictions will drag on.

Kind of dropped it. Still required on planes and in certain settings if unvaccinated.

You answered precisely 0 questions there.

At least you seem to have admitted in a round about way that the July 19th date means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We've been living in a 'safety above all else' society for the past 18 months.

You can't come up with a conspiracy to explain why measures will be permanent, so instead you've created this silly narrative that the public/government "want" the measures permanently.

You cherry-pick examples, distort them, then ignore any posters pointing out the glaring faults

Just the latest evolution of distilled nonsense on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

buzzerxx wrote: »
    No, it's going to require a bit of explanation I think.

Please explain what your point is. What do you believe this picture shows and indicates.

Don't just dump a facebook link and parrot opinions told to you by facebooks. Express your own.

Could you also maybe explain what measures you believe are going to be permanent?

We've now crossed over 5000 posts and not a single measure has been shown to be permanent and no one seems willing to explain which might be and why.

Look at all the YouGov polls. Large majorities support lockdowns and have consistently supported them. Same in Ireland.

If something is consistently supported then it's popular.

No.

It's a choice between two evils. Lockdown vs letting the disease run rampant.

Of the two, people have sided with lockdown. It has nothing to do with "popularity" and everything to do with choosing the least worst option.

King Mob wrote: »

We've now crossed over 5000 posts and not a single measure has been shown to be permanent and no one seems willing to explain which might be and why.

This thread has gone from: "measures will be permanent because Covid is all a ploy to install global Communism", all the way down to: "it'll be permanent because wearing masks and not seeing your family is "popular" among people and the government"

"Don't be a boiling frog, top hats will become permanent. "

Is that correct?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    You can't come up with a conspiracy to explain why measures will be permanent, so instead you've created this silly narrative that the public/government "want" the measures permanently.

You cherry-pick examples, distort them, then ignore any posters pointing out the glaring faults

Just the latest evolution of distilled nonsense on this thread

65% of the public want mask wearing to continue indefinitely. That's what the majority wants. The surprising thing for me is that people are surprised by that. I'm surprised it's not higher. But, as I said, I don't care. The damage has been done. I don't know why it's odd to say that they're popular. One sees people wearing them while alone in their car, while alone in the countryside. I don't know why it's such a bad thing for them to be popular. They clearly are popular.

I'm more concerned about a cyber attack. The WEF is about to run a simulation of one. The last simulation they were involved in, Event 201, which was a simulation of a coronavirus pandemic, was followed by a coronavirus pandemic. Dave Cullen has a good video on Bitchute about the recent cyber attacks.

65% of the public want mask wearing to continue indefinitely. .
    That's not true though.

You keep changing what you believe is happening.

You've gone from the government secretly plotting to make masks permenant.
    Now, after you failed to explain why they wanted to do this, you've changed your reality to claim that the government is only doing what the population want.

Now of course, if we ask you why you believe all these people want masks to be permanent, you'll avoid the question, run away and change your mind when you find something new on twitter.

It even seems that you're changing away from Covid conspiracies and inventing new ones about cyber attacks.
    Is this because the covid conspiracy theories have completely failed, or did you just get bored with them?

• Advertisement

65% of the public want mask wearing to continue indefinitely. That's what the majority wants.

Horse****.

Here is the poll
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-public-split-on-pace-of-lifting-covid-19-restrictions-1.4596630

image.png

Note the question, "which of the following is closest to your view?". When offered those two choices, I am absolutely in favour of continuing certain precautions after most people have been vaccinated - that does not mean I am in favour of continuing them permanently.

So why are you disingenuously trying to twist the results to infer that people do?

I am absolutely in favour of continuing certain precautions after most people have been vaccinated - that does not mean I am in favour of continuing them permanently.

So why are you disingenuously trying to twist the results to infer that people do?
    But then what other straw can conspiracy theorists grasp?

King Mob wrote: »
    But then what other straw can conspiracy theorists grasp?

Forgetting what words mean, seeing things in photos that aren't there, changing the conspiracy 10 times - seen it all before. People with irrational beliefs will go to any and all lengths to validate those beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

People with irrational beliefs will go to any and all lengths to validate those beliefs.

While this is 100% correct in most cases, do conspiracy theorists even have beliefs anymore?

All I can see is a lot of incoherent rambling about how every one else's beliefs are wrong. Yet none of them are willing to risk sharing their own beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tired332

Absolute scumbags not giving a **** about society and the vulnerable people. The cases and hospitalizations will be through the roof !!! How could they be so selfish. . Stop their payments that will show em , not one mask between them or any social distancing .. are they not worried about this new transmissable variant called delta that could kill all our young people

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

65% of the public want mask wearing to continue indefinitely. That's what the majority wants.
    The surprising thing for me is that people are surprised by that. I'm surprised it's not higher.

But you're leaving out a lot of context here, and misrepresenting reality.
    You make it sound like people like wearing masks, and 65% want to wear them indefinitely.

The reality is that it's likely 0% like wearing them, and 0% want to wear them indefinitely,
    However 65% of respondents think that once most people are vaccinated some precautions
    should remain, and one of those precautions is masks in shops.

This is clearly in the context of covid still circulating,
    and until we see what happens once most are vaccinated.
    I personally agree with this, ie. proceeding with caution.

I would guess you think there is something wrong with 65% thinking that
    because you don't think the virus is a threat at all?

In that regard, I saw first hand one small business that had to close in May,
    due everyone catching covid, with one person ending up in hospital.
    That's not normal for May, and even in January that would not be expected.
    But you seem to think that it would be ok for the virus to be let loose without restraint!
    But, as I said, I don't care. The damage has been done.
    What damage has been done?
    And who do you think is responsible for the damage?
    I'm more concerned about a cyber attack. The WEF is about to run a simulation of one.
    The last simulation they were involved in, Event 201,
    which was a simulation of a coronavirus pandemic, was followed by a coronavirus pandemic.
    Dave Cullen has a good video on Bitchute about the recent cyber attacks.

When you say you're concerned about a cyber attack, are you concerned about a future one,
    or the one we've just had on the HSE,
    or the cyber attacks that have been happening regularly around the world for many years?

What does Dave Cullen say in his video about the recent cyber attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

Anyway they said it at last, its official now. When a senior official at SAGE, the UK equivalent of NPHET, Professor Susan Michie, was asked how long the changes will remain, like social distancing and masks etc, she said:
    "I think forever, to some extent..."
    ( https://www.bitchute.com/video/FFCb7pFcISVy/ 1:05.)
    You see the clue is that she is also the Director of The Centre for Behaviour Change, and that's what its all about: Changing the patterns of society to limit social discourse in a way that isolates people and makes them more vulnerable to state diktat.

http://www.orwellianireland.com

brianhere wrote: »
    Anyway they said it at last, its official now. When a senior official at SAGE, the UK equivalent of NPHET, Professor Susan Michie, was asked how long the changes will remain, like social distancing and masks etc, she said:

You see the clue is that she is also the Director of The Centre for Behaviour Change, and that's what its all about: Changing the patterns of society to limit social discourse in a way that isolates people and makes them more vulnerable to state diktat.

Translation:

It's official, someone on an advisory council said “I think forever, to some extent.” That's it, proof these measures were always meant to be permanent. It's as good as legislation passed. And of course it was their plan all along, to breed compliance, now we finally have confirmation of it, Chinese social credit system next followed by the internment camps. Nothing to do with my personal belief that Communism is taking over, visit my blog about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

But its a very significant and deliberate statement, she said 'forever', much to the surprise of the interviewer actually and then elaborated on it, talking about how going forward you will leave the house with your keys and your bits and bobs and your mask 'forever'. And as I said, she is a senior official in SAGE who are the people running the show in the UK in the way that NPHET have become our dictators in Ireland over the past 18 months. She personally even convened the sub group of SAGE called the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Behaviour group.

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Advertisement

brianhere wrote: »
    ... and then elaborated on it, talking about how going forward you will leave the house with your keys and your bits and bobs and your mask 'forever'....

Or how people always leave the house carrying their mobile phone these days, or how some people would always carry an umbrella if it looks like it might rain, or how in days gone by no respectable citizen would leave the house without wearing their hat or having a hanky in their pocket.

So not a restriction, not permanent, not going to be a requirement to carry a mask about your person, and once time passes people will stop bothering and whatever we carry on us leaving the house will change to some other combination of items.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement