Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Ollieboy wrote: »
    If you ring Ballyliffen directly you should get it for 50.

Already booked and paid for unfortunately. Contacted them by email and was quoted 80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bryson released this vlog yesterday

I've always been fairly indifferent to Bryson but this has changed my mind about him and not in a good way. It's like an episode of entourage, he lives with all these randomers who seem to serve no purpose other than fawn over him. It's still an interesting video and I hope he puts more out as you rarely see insights like this into top golfers lives on tour

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Ollieboy wrote: »
    If you ring Ballyliffen directly you should get it for 50.

Anyone have other experience of this?

They are being a little pernickity over email about booking. We are playing 19/20 June.

At the moment i am unwilling to pay a full deposit until it is confirmed in stone that restrictions in Donegal will be easing in line with the rest of the country in early June.

This follows on from last year when we had the trip organised but they were unwilling to offer a refund when 2 of our 4 ball had to self isolate due to a positive test before travelling.

Not willing to hand them another 320 euro before finding out that restrictions wont be eased in Donegal.

They are currently insisting on the deposit so i told them to cancel the booking at the moment.

Would be nice if i got another member of the 4 ball to ring up and was able to get it for 50 euro a head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Anyone have other experience of this?

They are being a little pernickity over email about booking. We are playing 19/20 June.

At the moment i am unwilling to pay a full deposit until it is confirmed in stone that restrictions in Donegal will be easing in line with the rest of the country in early June.

This follows on from last year when we had the trip organised but they were unwilling to offer a refund when 2 of our 4 ball had to self isolate due to a positive test before travelling.

Not willing to hand them another 320 euro before finding out that restrictions wont be eased in Donegal.

They are currently insisting on the deposit so i told them to cancel the booking at the moment.

Would be nice if i got another member of the 4 ball to ring up and was able to get it for 50 euro a head. :D

I'm playing Saturday and paid up front. I rang and it was 80 a head, maybe its donegal residents only or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

I've always been fairly indifferent to Bryson but this has changed my mind about him and not in a good way. It's like an episode of entourage, he lives with all these randomers who seem to serve no purpose other than fawn over him. It's still an interesting video and I hope he puts more out as you rarely see insights like this into top golfers lives on tour

I don't dislike him for this. It's a very young man's lifestyle, if he's still living like that in 5 years time I'd probably judge him for it. But I lived with friends until my early 30s. I didn't have a choice, I couldn't afford my own place, but if I had I'd definitely have wanted to live with friends until late 20s.

He certainly seems like someone I wouldn't be friends with, but I won't hold that against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's Buzz McCallister (the older brother from Home Alone).

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0526/1224106-portmarnock-golf-club/
    Portmarnock Golf Club in Dublin is to end its men-only membership policy after 127 years.

A majority of members voted to change the policy, which has been in place since the club was founded in 1894.

The vote saw 83.4% in favour of the change and 16.6% voting against.

Up to this point, the club's rule 3 stated that: "The club shall consist of members and associate members who shall be gentlemen properly elected and who shall conform with the rules of amateur status."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Where is the Irish challenge event on?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Where is the Irish challenge event on?

Portmarnock Links I think

I'm still trying to develop a swing, piecing it together bit by bit, week on week. I watched a video last night about the feeling in your legs and body in the back and down swing. So I did the drills out in the back garden and felt something clicking, everything felt like it was flowing easier. However, without being able to hit a ball I wasn't quite sure if it was another false dawn before actually trying to hit a ball. I nipped out to the driving range with my hybrid, 6 and 9 irons and hit 50 balls. I reckon I only duffed 2 of them. The penny may have dropped. Absolutely chuffed and really looking forward to my round tomorrow. I know I'll still duff a few but limiting the 10 yard dribblers will make such a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

I'm still trying to develop a swing, piecing it together bit by bit, week on week. I watched a video last night about the feeling in your legs and body in the back and down swing. So I did the drills out in the back garden and felt something clicking, everything felt like it was flowing easier. However, without being able to hit a ball I wasn't quite sure if it was another false dawn before actually trying to hit a ball. I nipped out to the driving range with my hybrid, 6 and 9 irons and hit 50 balls. I reckon I only duffed 2 of them. The penny may have dropped. Absolutely chuffed and really looking forward to my round tomorrow. I know I'll still duff a few but limiting the 10 yard dribblers will make such a difference.

what was the video can you share?

Irishder wrote: »
    what was the video can you share?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYh2AYAOZs&t=284s

It's nothing revolutionary so you might be doing this sort of thing already. I've always found my movements very stiff and this helped a lot. Hope it helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It's nothing revolutionary so you might be doing this sort of thing already. I've always found my movements very stiff and this helped a lot. Hope it helps you.
    Embedded your video for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYh2AYAOZs&t=284s

This is something I learned from playing on a hilly course. With ball above my feet I would tend just rotate my upper body in the swing, it rarely went well. I found if I try and move my feet in the same I do when swinging on a flat lie it works a lot better. I don't really understand the mechanics of it but there you go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone ever done an on a full day course lesson with a pro? Need to sort out a few bits in my game, and i was thinking an on the course one would be better then the range. Just worried a full day might be too much to try and remember if i'm out there for 8 hours.

https://www.donedeal.ie/golf-for-sale/callaway-golf-clubs/28269578

€295 and no silly offers for 30 year old clubs

Some of the price of second hand gear has gone mental. I understand these may have an antique bonus added on but they aren't the only ones. Seen a set of original AP2's with poor grips and clearly worn faces looking for 400 a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Some of the price of second hand gear has gone mental. I understand these may have an antique bonus added on but they aren't the only ones. Seen a set of original AP2's with poor grips and clearly worn faces looking for 400 a few weeks ago

Yeah the 2nd market is all over the place but still some sensible people out there too. What I don't get is why people don't have a quick look to check 1. what are other similar clubs priced at and 2. what price is an equivalent new club. The amount of people selling well used 2/3/4 year old clubs for similar price to current or year old models is mental. Seeing lads looking for €200-300 for an m3, Cobra f8 or Ping G400 when you can get some of last years models for that price brand new is just crazy.

Still some good prices to be had to be fair but overall the 2nd hand market is not great at the moment in terms of pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ridiculous price! Trying to rip off newbies that dont know any better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

He'll be doing very well to get half that amount for those

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone ever done an on a full day course lesson with a pro? Need to sort out a few bits in my game, and i was thinking an on the course one would be better then the range. Just worried a full day might be too much to try and remember if i'm out there for 8 hours.
    I take it this is in a group setting with lots of other people? Personally I wouldn't fancy that, as you say its a lot to take in in one sitting. I'm considering doing a 9 hole playing lesson with the local pro and see what he has to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Grey Fox wrote: »
    I take it this is in a group setting with lots of other people? Personally I wouldn't fancy that, as you say its a lot to take in in one sitting. I'm considering doing a 9 hole playing lesson with the local pro and see what he has to say.

It's a one on one thing, with the option of bringing someone else for another €100.

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Portmarnock Links I think

Disappointing to see 15 of the 22 Irish miss the cut, you'd be thinking the standard on the European tour isn't great but lots of our best young players are struggling to even compete on the challenge tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I've played two rounds after posting this and could barely hit an iron! This bloody game! :rolleyes:

I've played two rounds after posting this and could barely hit an iron! This bloody game! :rolleyes:

I've had moments like yours through the years where I think I have it figured out inly for it to bite me in the end. YouTube is great for finding a drill for your particular issue but you can't beat a pro for narrowing in on the issue. More often than not I would be trying to fix something that was being caused by a different failure in the swing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

First round since Sept yesterday, didn't embarrass myself but was spending a bit longer in setup routine purely from lack of muscle memory, cracking weather to boot

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I know there is a thread here somewhere on golf shoes recommendations.

I am looking for something for the summer as lightweight and comfortable as possible. Anyone got any they recommend?

redzerdrog wrote: »

I am looking for something for the summer as lightweight and comfortable as possible. Anyone got any they recommend?

I bought a pair of lightweight non waterproof Nike golf shoes a couple of years ago. I'd say I've worn them a handful of times. I find it needs to bone dry and after lunch(morning dew/course watering is fully evaporated) for it to be worth wearing them. I tend to wear the same pair of skechers go golf v3 year round, I like them so much I bought an identical 2nd pair when the 1st pair were worn out

Iv a pair of Adidas boost tour 360 that I wear for every round and I love them in general they just a bit heavy on the feet when going for 18 on a nice summers evening in the shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

redzerdrog wrote: »

The Nike Roshe range are perfect for this. They are not waterproof in any way so as said above you need to wear them on a day where you know there is no rain coming and hasn't been any already as your feet would get wet in them fairly quickly just walking through wet rough.

There are the ones I have in a diff colour and they are just like wearing regular runners:

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/nike-gents-roshe-g-shoes-black---red-004/p-cd6065nikegentsroshegshoesblackred004gents

I also have a pair of their Air Max 90G which offer some waterproofing and would def recommend them for comfort too:

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/nike-gents-air-max-90-g-shoes-white-100/p-cu9978nikegentsairmax90gshoeswhite100

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    The Nike Roshe range are perfect for this. They are not waterproof in any way so as said above you need to wear them on a day where you know there is no rain coming and hasn't been any already as your feet would get wet in them fairly quickly just walking through wet rough.

There are the ones I have in a diff colour and they are just like wearing regular runners:

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/nike-gents-roshe-g-shoes-black---red-004/p-cd6065nikegentsroshegshoesblackred004gents

Yeah these are the Nike shoes I have as well, definitely comfortable and lightweight

Advertisement