Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf lessons Dublin area - beginner

Options
  • 04-02-2020 8:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

I’m 26, have given up the GAA since moving down here a couple of years. Always said I’d get into golf for work golf days etc

I’ve been looking around but not much info on golf lessons. I know I could just head out to a driving range but it’s not the same.

I live in Ashtown/D15 area, luttrelstown, st Margaret’s, are the local ones I can think of. My girlfriend was trying to buy me a few lessons but couldn’t come across anything at Christmas- even out her direction in Naas.

Any recommendations on decent ex pros/courses to go to for this? Heading away on a lads stag to Portugal in March and they’re all mad into golfing. A part from the odd bit of mini golf I’m absolutely hopeless! Haven’t even a set of clubs. I wonder do Lidl/Aldi do any.... 😂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

My advice would be at 26 to go back playing gaa while you're still young enough to. You can take up golf at any age and play it until you die if you're lucky. You've only so many years when you can play GAA. And while I really do love golf, it doesn't compare to playing a match on a Sunday, your body feeling like it's been through a war and taking a couple of days to recover, but you really feel like you did something on the Sunday. I don't get the same extent of feeling from golf.

You can still get into golf a bit btw with a few lessons and heading out onto the course, but seriously, play GAA while you can or you'll regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

When I first joined a club & started to take golf a bit more seriously (many years ago) I had a few lessons with Michelle Carroll. She's now based in Celbridge Driving Range (http://michellecarrollgolf.com/)

She breaks things down very simply, and focussed on getting the basics right.

I'd recommend picking up a second hand set rather than buying clubs from somewhere like Heatons, or somewhere like that. You'll get a lot more value for the same money.

Other than that, once you have the basic set, you could get out for a few games of Par 3 golf, or head for somewhere like Grange Castle Golf Club. They have a short 7-hole course at the back of their main course where you could get out for a bit of practice without the pressure of worrying about serious golf going on around you.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

Look up Elmgreen Driving Range, on Dunsink Lane. If you go there, I'm sure there will be little flyers for either group or individual lessons.

http://elmgreengolfclub.ie/coaching-2/

I've just started some group lessons, never played before, and it's a good way to get a feel for it without a big outlay for classes. The classes I started going to are in Spawell (Dublin 6) and cost €15 per group lesson compared to multiples of that for a private lesson...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

http://golffitness.ie/ In Sallins is very good near Naas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Thanks all, appreciate it

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    My advice would be at 26 to go back playing gaa while you're still young enough to. You can take up golf at any age and play it until you die if you're lucky. You've only so many years when you can play GAA. And while I really do love golf, it doesn't compare to playing a match on a Sunday, your body feeling like it's been through a war and taking a couple of days to recover, but you really feel like you did something on the Sunday. I don't get the same extent of feeling from golf.

You can still get into golf a bit btw with a few lessons and heading out onto the course, but seriously, play GAA while you can or you'll regret it.

Thanks for that , very inspiring :D Pre season training is at 9-10pm on Tues & Thurs at the moment. Im making excuses but that's brutal after a days work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

+1 on the second hand route for clubs.

you can get perfect clubs for a song,
    Ping eye 2 is a great example, one of the best forgiving irons ever made
    I got a full set with a ping driver and 3 wood and 40 balls for 120e recently
    (all more than a few years old but all perfectly playable)
    dont get sucked in to the latest and greatest gear, the manufacturers
    release gear every year with fancy names and trency colour schemes
    but under the surface the improvement are minimal year on year
    and it certainly wont make a blind bit of difference to a beginner!

also good advice on playing par threes, they are great for "cutting your teeth"

cheers

Thanks everyone,
    I eventually went with Ciaran Carroll out in The Ward Golf Centre/Driving Range in Meath/Dublin border.

1st lesson I liked his no bullsh*t approach. Straight into it. It was around 40 mins long and a lot more cost attractive than other lads I rang up in Elmgreen etc that were €80 for one hour.

Looking forward to the next one already, I'm very stiff around the hips region so I need to get out practicing! Hopefully the driving range lend me a club, will buy a second hand set soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Leopardstown Golf Centre or Barry Power Golf Academy could be good options but I would suggest you to search golf lessons near me on Google. Then, you should open different suggestions and then open their website to check what are their membership conditions and offers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Hi All, I thought I'll refresh this thread. Myself and my HB are sick of hiking and wanted to try golf as a way to kill summer weekends together. We are absolute beginners. Would anyone advise any coaches in North- East side of Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Went to Barry Power in Kinsealy. He was absolutely brilliant. First lesson concentrated on identifying my many faults, and immediately rectifying them, it was stunning to see the difference with a change to my grip and swing. Then the next few lessons concentrated on reinforcing the new grip and swing. At last I was able to take a club out on the course and actually enjoy myself. Check the website for offers, as there was a huge reduction on offer (yes, I know) when I got my own . money absolutely well spent. He also gives you videos of your own lesson and side by side videos comparing you to say Tiger Woods. My first video was comical, but subsequently the improvement was there to be seen.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Went to Barry Power in Kinsealy. He was absolutely brilliant. First lesson concentrated on identifying my many faults, and immediately rectifying them, it was stunning to see the difference with a change to my grip and swing. Then the next few lessons concentrated on reinforcing the new grip and swing. At last I was able to take a club out on the course and actually enjoy myself. Check the website for offers, as there was a huge reduction on offer (yes, I know) when I got my own . money absolutely well spent. He also gives you videos of your own lesson and side by side videos comparing you to say Tiger Woods. My first video was comical, but subsequently the improvement was there to be seen.

Good luck

Which pro did he choose to try and get you to copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

The pro comparisons with him are gas. But they are useful. Justin Rose was my pro comparison (back when we were both playing better). But I really like the video to show you where you actually are in your swing and the video of the pro to show you where you should be.

11521323 wrote: »
    Which pro did he choose to try and get you to copy?

It switched between Ernie Els and Tiger Woods. The video helped because even though I was convinced my left arm was absolutely dead straight in the backswing, it was embarrassing to see how it actually looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

It switched between Ernie Els and Tiger Woods. The video helped because even though I was convinced my left arm was absolutely dead straight in the backswing, it was embarrassing to see how it actually looked.

I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Just be careful, he's not a PGA professional and his whole basis of teaching is to pick a random pro and have you emulate them which is not coaching.

I'd recommend visiting a good-reviewed PGA pro.

I was being tongue-in-cheek.

Just be careful, he's not a PGA professional and his whole basis of teaching is to pick a random pro and have you emulate them which is not coaching.

Aha...got me! :D:D

Well, to be honest, I'm not trying to get a highly competitive handicap, I just want the ball to go in the general direction of where I think I'm aiming it. I can't comment on the guy's credentials or even the quality of his coaching. I will say that as a complete hacker, he was great for me. All I would like, is to be able to get round a course in under 85. I know that translates to a handicap of a certain value, but I've no idea what that that is, nor how to compute it.

So, that's the context for my having chosen and recommended Barry Power, and I should probably have prefaced my original post with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ddub11

Aha...got me! :D:D

Well, to be honest, I'm not trying to get a highly competitive handicap, I just want the ball to go in the general direction of where I think I'm aiming it. I can't comment on the guy's credentials or even the quality of his coaching. I will say that as a complete hacker, he was great for me. All I would like, is to be able to get round a course in under 85. I know that translates to a handicap of a certain value, but I've no idea what that that is, nor how to compute it.

So, that's the context for my having chosen and recommended Barry Power, and I should probably have prefaced my original post with that.
    My game is gone to bits,completely gone.

I am a high handicapper but played with lads who were the same so enjoyed it but now i cant even get it of the tee without it going anywhere but straight.

How many lessons did you get and how long did they last?been thinking about getting lessons from power and now im at the stage where im longer enjoying it and am considering giving it up or get lessons and see if i can improve.

would you recommend him?

Could you just turn up at lessons without clubs?
    I see that Barry power has online booking and doesn't mention any kind of level of ability.
    I'm an absolute beginner, never held a club......

ddub11 wrote: »
    My game is gone to bits,completely gone.

I am a high handicapper but played with lads who were the same so enjoyed it but now i cant even get it of the tee without it going anywhere but straight.

How many lessons did you get and how long did they last?been thinking about getting lessons from power and now im at the stage where im longer enjoying it and am considering giving it up or get lessons and see if i can improve.

would you recommend him?

For me he was brilliant. I've owned and abused clubs for 30+ years. The Barry Power lessons were a gift of vouchers, after Mrs N suggested my clubs should go in the bin, instead of taking up space in the shed. I took my first of 5 lessons in Feb 2019. The improvement was spectacular, and each lesson was saved to a site where I could review it.
    After that I could go to a course without the usual trepidation.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Could you just turn up at lessons without clubs?
    I see that Barry power has online booking and doesn't mention any kind of level of ability.
    I'm an absolute beginner, never held a club......

Sorry, can't answer that question, but I remember noticing there were lots of clubs in racks in the bay where the lessons took place (its a driving range with a private closed off bay for the lessons). As for existing ability, I was worse than no experience, I had lots of bedded in poor techniques.

I intend going to him for a couple of lessons before going back on a course later this year. I'm not a member of any club.

I should note that I attended a pro in a well known north city golf club, in the 80's. He was rude and overbearing, and in fact I didn't use all my gift vouchers. Nowadays, he'd get a flea in his ear.

Anyway, in case you didn't see this advice above, I repeat it here :
    ...............he's not a PGA professional and his whole basis of teaching is to pick a random pro and have you emulate them which is not coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Thanks everyone for advise. Barry Power  was booked out so we ended in Deer Park Golf Club. And we don't regret. In fact i think Barry was a bit to pro for amateurs like us. So far we Did 1 very productive putting class with Alan. Awesome location and we don't need to pay anything for practising putting on our own. Bought some putters on Adverts for 10euro. Hope to progress to chipping soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 helpisneeded45

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone could recommend someplace for group lessons. I’m in north dub but willing to travel.

I’m a social golfer but would like to participate in work events etc but don’t feel ready to. I’ve been hacking around 3-4 years and even with hitting the range and playing more I’m not noticing an improvement. Every aspect of my game needs some work but particularly my putting.

I remember a few years ago seeing 6 week beginner group courses and regret not taking the opportunity now.

i took a few private lessons with one of the pros already mentioned but it wasn’t for me. They were consistently late or didn’t show up, left me on my own for long periods of the lesson to talk to other people on the range, promised to bring a track man but never did etc.

Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

GUI academy in Carton House do group lessons.

Great set up there and good pros

Advertisement