Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus - New bag fees for carry-on €5.99 or €35 at the gate

• 19-06-2021 12:26am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Full details on AerLingus.com

Carry on board - From €5.99 / £5.99
    Book a carry-on bag with priority boarding online and store it in the overhead locker on board.

Drop off at check-in - Free of charge
    Drop off your bag at check-in in the aiport and off you go! Collect on arrival at the carousel.

It's important to note that if you have not purchased a carry-on bag with priority boarding, or if its not included in your fare, and you bring a 10kg bag to the boarding gate, you will be charged a €35 fee to place this bag in the aircraft hold. Payment of this fee will be processed using your smartphone via QR code with our partner Global Payments, and will be verified by our boarding agents.

A carry-on bag with priority boarding is included for some customers:

Silver, Platinum and Concierge AerClub members. This applies to the member only and not travelling companions.
    Bookings made with Plus, Advantage and Aer Space fare types.
    The accompanying adult travelling with an infant.
    Customers connecting to/from an Aer Lingus transatlantic flight or a connecting flight with an interline partner.

All customers with a carry-on bag with priority boarding (either purchased or included) must check in online or via the App.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

How lovely... Looking at some flights to Faro in July, Saver is €131 and Plus €189 (inc 20kg check in and your carry onboard) one-way and a few quid more the way back, evens out at €50 each way to go plus. Unbundle the the carry on board is €15 but only seems possible to pay for it on the Dublin to Faro leg - they can't handle it at the outstation? It's confusing in the checkout because it says "Dublin to Faro" and no option for "Faro to Dublin", but under the price it does say "Return Trip". Tried it on Dublin to Malaga, same result, though they're looking for €18 on that trip for the privilege. Seat selection ranging €5 to €22 for legroom - which will still cost you €9 each way on a plus ticket, or €6 for a seat near the front.

I guess Plus tickets work out well if you want to bring the family away, but for business travelers or weekend breakers looking for a quick in and out at the airport this is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,773 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Airlines instead of making their services easier and more user friendly seem to be intent on doing quite the opposite....

It’s a fûcking confusing set up and communication from Aer Lingus, they’d want to start getting their act together...they are starting to drift away from what made them great.

I’d imagine about 3 people that on a flight , arrive to check in with no bags, football day trippers and the odd business person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

It’s an awful policy and one I hoped they’d stay away from but the industry continues to be a race to the bottom so as the low cost carriers come up new ways to squeeze cash out of passengers, the rest follow.

Wizz Air was the first airline I experienced cabin bag charges with. The current policy was introduced in 2018, a small backpack was now your free cabin bag item while the 10kg trolley bag now had to be purchased with Wizz Priority fares. The argument was that it would reduce delays during boarding but the only real winner was the airline revenue department.

Other airlines quickly followed like Ryanair, EasyJet and Vueling. With Aer Lingus joining the club many others will no doubt continue to follow.

The premium Aer Lingus charges over its rivals, even on its lowest fare classes, is quickly losing all value to the passenger. The basic fares need to start coming down so those who are happy with the bare bones experience can have it for a fair price while those who want or need more don’t feel like they’re being fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

I’m sure it’s not something they wanted to do but the baggage policy was being completely abused by passengers and the over head lockers are simply not designed for the amount of bags people were bringing into the cabin leading to flights behind constantly delayed due to offload bags etc. I’m sure it will damage the perception of the airline either way though. To be fair it is still the same 10KG baggage allowance just that it will need to go into the hold unless you choice to pay for the option or are a silver, platinum or concierge passenger or connecting on an interlining ticket . To be honest the previous policy of being able to bring it in the cabin was not possible anyway for a large chunk of passengers that had to have their bags tagged and placed in the hold. It will probably suit some people also just checking it in and being able to place your liquids etc and check it in for free. I always checked mine in to be honest it’s just easier than dragging it through the airport to be tagged and put in the hold anyway or even if you get it on board struggling to find space.

It’s a sprint to the bottom....It doesn’t reduce delays, the small carry on case has to be safely stowed, the same as a backpack...

It’s about encouraging or hassling people into bringing as little weight on the aircraft...

If today there are 160 people on an Aer Lingus A320 to Milan...

The average weight of the passengers and crew

13.0 tonnes

Baggage / luggage

3.2 tonnes

They are trying to target that 3.2 tonnes, the approximately 3200 kgs... get it off the aircraft through deterrence or if it’s on there have you paying top dollar.

The less weight the less fuel burned... the fuel weighs... you need fuel just to carry fuel... Dublin - Milan could require 14-16 tonnes of fuel on board with a full aircraft... deterring weight, removing weight means less fuel required means more profitable flights....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The most annoying part is it adds more people to the priority queue when they decide to buy this which makes it worse for people looking to get priority anyway. Everyone can't be a priority.

I don’t think it’s about entirely aircraft weight these days, this new policy still allows you to check that 10kg into the hold for free after all so the weight is going on the aircraft no matter what.

It’s largely about generating revenue from passengers who desire the convenience of carrying a bag on board. The customer has been conditioned into thinking carry-on is the easiest, cheapest and quickest way to bring luggage on a flight. Decades previously it was the opposite, everything was checked in because it was free and meant all you carried on was your coat and hat. The last 20 years have seen a shift to reduced hold baggage and overall aircraft weight, we pack smarter and lighter these days but also bring pretty much everything we have into the cabin for free so the airlines need to reclaim the lost revenue from a reduction in checked baggage by making cabin baggage a paid for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I will stick with Ryanair.

titan18 wrote: »
    The most annoying part is it adds more people to the priority queue when they decide to buy this which makes it worse for people looking to get priority anyway. Everyone can't be a priority.

True. It’s now common to see the priority queues at Ryanair and Wizz stretch longer than the standard queues. Anyone standing towards the back of the priority queue is essentially boarding with the last of the passengers. The rush to board aircraft is probably worse that ever because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

We have booked and paid for flights in September and November. Does anyone know if this will be added on or is it for new bookings only.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s a sprint to the bottom....It doesn’t reduce delays, the small carry on case has to be safely stowed, the same as a backpack...

It’s about encouraging or hassling people into bringing as little weight on the aircraft...

If today there are 160 people on an Aer Lingus A320 to Milan...

The average weight of the passengers and crew

13.0 tonnes

Baggage / luggage

3.2 tonnes

They are trying to target that 3.2 tonnes, the approximately 3200 kgs... get it off the aircraft through deterrence or if it’s on there have you paying top dollar.

The less weight the less fuel burned... the fuel weighs... you need fuel just to carry fuel... Dublin - Milan could require 14-16 tonnes of fuel on board with a full aircraft... deterring weight, removing weight means less fuel required means more profitable flights....

It is about time though. The under seat bag is stowed under your seat where as the cabin bag would sometimes need to be stowed at the opposite end of the plane and then blocking the aisle and the same when you are getting off. If it was about weight they would be doing away with the 10KG altogether. They aren’t though you still have the exact same allowance just that it will need to go in the hold instead of the cabin if you don’t pay for it. It’s still the same weight being carried whether it’s in the hold or the cabin, for that reason I don’t think they are doing it because of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Aer Lingus has historically insisted that bags that fit under the seat be placed there. For those of us with long legs that amounts to a strong disincentive against travel with a smaller bag.

After a miserable flight back in 2019 I started travelling with a larger bag so that this wouldn't happen any longer.

I wonder if the requirement to pay for priority will eliminate this policy. I'm not holding my breath...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Shamrockj wrote: »
    It is about time though. The under seat bag is stowed under your seat where as the cabin bag would sometimes need to be stowed at the opposite end of the plane and then blocking the aisle and the same when you are getting off. If it was about weight they would be doing away with the 10KG altogether. They aren’t though you still have the exact same allowance just that it will need to go in the hold instead of the cabin if you don’t pay for it. It’s still the same weight being carried whether it’s in the hold or the cabin, for that reason I don’t think they are doing it because of weight.

They are trying to deter weight on board....to save money, more weight = more fuel required and that fuel in itself weighs, it costs two fold to purchase and to tanker said fuel to destination.

Nothing to do with space, all to do with weight. It’s money and weight...

They are trying to deter weight on board....to save money, more weight = more fuel required and that fuel in itself weighs, it costs two fold to purchase and to tanker said fuel to destination.

Nothing to do with space, all to do with weight. It’s money and weight...

The same 10KG bag will be carried just in the hold instead of the cabin. How does that make a difference to the aircraft weight ??

The same 10KG bag will be carried just in the hold instead of the cabin. How does that make a difference to the aircraft weight ??

The pricing structure is designed to deter you from bringing bags.

The pricing structure is designed to deter you from bringing bags.
    To defer you from bringing it on board. You can still bring the same 10Kg bag just that it will be placed in the hold
    “ Aer Lingus said the changes had been introduced “to ensure faster boarding and de-planing, therefore improving overall customer experience.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/new-fee-to-bring-carry-on-bag-on-board-aer-lingus-flights-1143725.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

?.........
    “ Aer Lingus said the changes had been introduced “to ensure faster boarding and de-planing, therefore improving overall customer experience.”

That was my thought too.
    Over the last 10 years I’ve heard from my cabin crew mates that boarding was a nightmare due to trying to find space for bags and then having to offload some which causes a verbal row. (They say that transisting yanks aren’t fond of the fact that the bin above their head isn’t ‘theirs’)

Obviously EI have internal stats of how many flights are/were delayed due to baggage issues and want to eliminate this.

Personally I think the E5.99 charge is aimed as a deterrent rather than a revenue generator. Having quicker boarding and disembarkation allows them to maintain their 40 min turnarounds throughout the day.
    This of course means nothing to the average punter who will be annoyed at being asked for cash to bring a bag with them. Something which. They have been doing for years now. (I’m a wheelie and small rucksack traveller myself. So the target of this policy)

Tenger wrote: »
    That was my thought too.
    Over the last 10 years I’ve heard from my cabin crew mates that boarding was a nightmare due to trying to find space for bags and then having to offload some which causes a verbal row. (They say that transisting yanks aren’t fond of the fact that the bin above their head isn’t ‘theirs’)

Obviously EI have internal stats of how many flights are/were delayed due to baggage issues and want to eliminate this.

Personally I think the E5.99 charge is aimed as a deterrent rather than a revenue generator. Having quicker boarding and disembarkation allows them to maintain their 40 min turnarounds throughout the day.
    This of course means nothing to the average punter who will be annoyed at being asked for cash to bring a bag with them. Something which. They have been doing for years now. (I’m a wheelie and small rucksack traveller myself. So the target of this policy)

Absolutely agree. The amount of flights that were delayed before due to cabin baggage issues was enormous and made the turn around longer and longer. I don’t like the sound of there being a charge for cabin bags but they really had to do something it was seriously affecting on time performance. At least the 10KG bag is still ‘ free’ as long as you check it in. This is probably a good time to try it too when there is less flights and the affect will be easier to see.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

True. It’s now common to see the priority queues at Ryanair and Wizz stretch longer than the standard queues. Anyone standing towards the back of the priority queue is essentially boarding with the last of the passengers. The rush to board aircraft is probably worse that ever because of it.

I always paid for old priority because I didn't like all the fussing at boarding time. I liked getting on the plane, throwing my bag into the overhead, getting into my window seat and relaxing. I generally wouldn't move until disembarkation time on short haul flights. I'd like if the likes of Ryanair introduced some kind of priority plus that allowed for early boarding if people wished. Their current priority might as well be called paid for a bag in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I always paid for old priority because I didn't like all the fussing at boarding time. I liked getting on the plane, throwing my bag into the overhead, getting into my window seat and relaxing. I generally wouldn't move until disembarkation time on short haul flights. I'd like if the likes of Ryanair introduced some kind of priority plus that allowed for early boarding if people wished. Their current priority might as well be called paid for a bag in the cabin.

Yup, I'm the same. Get a seat close to the front too then for a quick exit. I also hate queuing so it was just more preferable. Changes like this just make priority boarding worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

titan18 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm the same. Get a seat close to the front too then for a quick exit. I also hate queuing so it was just more preferable. Changes like this just make priority boarding worse.

I think there's still a few of us out there that would pay a bit extra for early boarding. I'm a bit puzzled by why Ryanair put paying for a cabin bag under the priority boarding umbrella. It just undermined priority boarding as I understood it as a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

5.99 today, 9.99 next year, 14.99 the year after, and probably more on top for peak holiday flights.

To defer you from bringing it on board. You can still bring the same 10Kg bag just that it will be placed in the hold

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/new-fee-to-bring-carry-on-bag-on-board-aer-lingus-flights-1143725.html

It’s not to achieve faster anything, it’s a revenue generator... changes introduced ? Lies.. ‘charges’ introduced...

If it was to achieve faster boarding, why stop you and engage you in what will be an argument and subsequent transaction...at the gate...

Aer Lingus want on time turn arounds, on time departures... so do their customers...over the last 6 years they’ve been horrible in my experience ... especially any post 18:00 departure... retuning from work trip, just wanting bed and tv it’s been too often arrive at gate no sign of aircraft....

It’s not to achieve faster anything, it’s a revenue generator... changes introduced ? Lies.. ‘charges’ introduced...

If it was to achieve faster boarding, why stop you and engage you in what will be an argument and subsequent transaction...at the gate...

Aer Lingus want on time turn arounds, on time departures... so do their customers...over the last 6 years they’ve been horrible in my experience ... especially any post 18:00 departure... retuning from work trip, just wanting bed and tv it’s been too often arrive at gate no sign of aircraft....

That’s your opinion. But the fact is the company themselves have stated it is to achieve faster boarding/disembarking and thus faster turnarounds….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

That’s your opinion. But the fact is the company themselves have stated it is to achieve faster boarding/disembarking and thus faster turnarounds….

Companies write all kinds of stuff in press releases. Airlines are worse than most at selling new revenue generators as customer enhancements.

embraer170 wrote: »
    5.99 today, 9.99 next year, 14.99 the year after, and probably more on top for peak holiday flights.

It’s already higher than 5.99 on plenty of flights. Every return flight I’ve tried to book is adding €18 for cabin bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

It’s already higher than 5.99 on plenty of flights. Every return flight I’ve tried to book is adding €18 for cabin bags!

Agree, and considering that the whole airline industry is on its knees ...........lets go soak the travelling public.

Good luck with that!

What they’ve stated and what is fact are not necessarily the equal not by a long shot..

Charge people extra = faster turnarounds ? Right, faster profits.... :rolleyes: the company are supposed to facilitate the customers, not the other way around.

Low cost operator style gouging... not great...

I started flying BA for my work trips a few years ago, any personal trips the same ... much nicer experience... EI need to pull their socks up. These are customer penalties not fees.

My opinion, errr yes,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Looking at it that looks to be adding the bag and Priority boarding. It was 17.98 return to Heathrow in November, but only 14.98 going to Malaga in August. Single to Malaga in July or Manchester in November is 8.99, but you'd have to assume that somewhere, for some dates, for a one-way it is 5.99 hence the "from".

• Advertisement

What they’ve stated and what is fact are not necessarily the equal not by a long shot..

Charge people extra = faster turnarounds ? Right, faster profits.... :rolleyes: the company are supposed to facilitate the customers, not the other way around.

Low cost operator style gouging... not great...

I started flying BA for my work trips a few years ago, any personal trips the same ... much nicer experience... EI need to pull their socks up. These are customer penalties not fees.

My opinion, errr yes,

That’s a totally separate issue though? I was replying to your post where you claimed the cabin baggage policy was changed to save weight, never mind.

Advertisement