Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Espresso Grinder?

• 18-06-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭

What is the best option for a grinder? It needs to be able to grind for Espresso.

I am not completely closed off to the idea of a manual one but as a first preference, I would prefer an electric one.

I don't really have any particular set budget but would like to keep it within the reasonable range.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

What is the best option for a grinder? It needs to be able to grind for Espresso.

I am not completely closed off to the idea of a manual one but as a first preference, I would prefer an electric one.

I don't really have any particular set budget but would like to keep it within the reasonable range.

I purchased a Eureka Mignon last year and cannot fault it. Its used 3 times a day and makes a massive difference when you dial in your coffee.

The Niche Zero is meant to be the dogs b#*ox alright but wife would throw me out if I change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Newtown90 wrote: »
    I purchased a Eureka Mignon last year and cannot fault it. Its used 3 times a day and makes a massive difference when you dial in your coffee.

The Niche Zero is meant to be the dogs b#*ox alright but wife would throw me out if I change anything.

Actually am in the middle of watching the James Hoffmann review of this at the moment. It is currently sold out everywhere at the moment from what I can see. Seems to only come back in stock periodically and sells out very quickly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess it comes down to what you think is a reasonable range?

I presume you are looking at new not second hand?

I think you are looking at €200+ of espresso grinder. Not only do you need something that grinds fine enough for espresso, you need a consistent grind and the ability to make very small adjustments to get the coffee dialled in exactly right.

The only one I have direct experiece of is the Mahlkonig Vario. Other options I've seen recomended include the Rancilio Rocky, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, Wilfa uniform, Niche zero.

As with many things stock is at a premium right now so you may struggle to find something at a discount.

I'd recommend choosing a seller with a good reputation when it comes to returns or disputes if something goes wrong. It's worth paying a bit extra for that peace of mind.

I'd also say it's probably better to buy the best grinder your budget will stretch to so you are not frustrated and looking to upgrade again in the near future.

If 2nd hand is an option there are usually some good options on adverts and similar sites.

I'd be lying if I said £500 for a grinder (Niche Zero) doesn't make me wince a little and I don't consider it reasonable :P but I have come around to your line of thinking that I would like to buy something decent and not have upgraditis in a few months.

Buying second-hand wasn't something I had considered but I'll have a dig around on adverts and see what I can find.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I did something similar when I bought my Vario, I spent more than I was planning to but it has lasted now 12 years so I see still see it as good value.

This may be worth a look:

https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/compak-k3-touch-coffee-grinder/22830574

It's from a poster on here that is pretty reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I love my niche. Honestly wouldn't trade it for anything, it's so versatile for filter etc too. Personally would deem it well worth the investment, I've had one of the sage grinders and a Mazzer Super Jolly before it and wish I had just gone this route in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I did something similar when I bought my Vario, I spent more than I was planning to but it has lasted now 12 years so I see still see it as good value.

This may be worth a look:

https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/compak-k3-touch-coffee-grinder/22830574

It's from a poster on here that is pretty reliable.

Have the same grinder for a few years now and can vouch for it's effectiveness.

I love my niche. Honestly wouldn't trade it for anything, it's so versatile for filter etc too. Personally would deem it well worth the investment, I've had one of the sage grinders and a Mazzer Super Jolly before it and wish I had just gone this route in the first place.

I kind of have my heart set on one of these at this point but it is extremely annoying that I can't even buy one. It seems even when I get a chance to order I'll still be waiting a few months for my delivery date.

Take my money, goddam you!

Did you order it from the official site?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I kind of have my heart set on one of these at this point but it is extremely annoying that I can't even buy one. It seems even when I get a chance to order I'll still be waiting a few months for my delivery date.

Take my money, goddam you!

Did you order it from the official site?

I got it about a year ago from when they were still selling on indiegogo, think I was waiting 2 months from when I ordered to when it was delivered. They used to release them in batches with the delivery dates, but at least it was visible when you'd be getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

I got Beteza Sette 30 and do recommend. For extra $70 you can add micro adjustment and have Sette 270 at half price.

• Advertisement

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    I got Beteza Sette 30 and do recommend. For extra $70 you can add micro adjustment and have Sette 270 at half price.

Thanks, it is more the time that I'll be waiting to get my hands on a Niche that means I am going to have to look at something else. The 270 is one of the options I am considering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're going handgrinder route, 1zpresso jx pro is excellent. 140 from then direct but budget another 20 for customs and 15 for FedEx (though FedEx have started billing weeks later so I said I wasn't paying that fee, but customs no problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I got the Sage Smart Grinder Pro just over a year ago for €160 & am happy out with it... It may be difficult to find it for that price now, but it exceeds my ability to produce good coffee...

Some people here will consider it an appliance... but theres little to compete against it for the money... the next logical step up for me would be the Niche or an even more expensive machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I bought a Eureka mignon last year from Germany as it was a lot cheaper there. Very happy with it and would recommend. I also considered the sette 270 but from reviews I read that the eureka was the way to go for lifespan/reliability, grind consistency and noise reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FairFrank

Agree with that! Probably the best in their price range and easy to clean! They deliver it fast also

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Is a filter needed after grinding to make a nice Americano?

Have a de longhi grinder. Just checking what other apparatus I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭qb123

Hi. Got a Rocket Espresso machine earlier this year and had been using an old blade grinder for the last few months to grind beans - frustrating sometimes, but tended to get there in the end. Just after buying a Sage Smart Grinder pro, and while it seems to work well when grinding, when I use it to make espresso the flow is way too fast. I've tried setting grind gauge to the finest point, but even then I've the same problem. What am I likely to be doing wrong?

I have the 'first world problem" of grinding at two settings, espresso and pour over coarse. 3 days a week on espresso and about 3 days coarse (to bring to work for Aeropress)

I absolutely hate swinging the dial all the way around to get the to the other setting......cannot be good for the grinder!

Compak K3 touch as above.

Looking out for a 2nd hand like the Rocky, which I used to have 😂.

Seems still to be too coarse a grind then. Fast flow = coarse grind = less extraction.

Unfortunately just after getting this grinder, so would prefer not to have to get another one.

And yes, fast flow would indicate too coarse a grind, but this is on even the finest setting and hence why I think I must be doing something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think some of the Sage grinders used to have a shim, that would allow you to grind even finer. Surprised that a recent purchase would still have the problem though. Here's a thread on the subject: https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/35781-shim-kit-advice/

That thread suggests that shims are no longer required and the burr is adjustable. Is there anything in the manual about adjusting the burr to make the grind finer?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This video describes adjusting the outer burr. Have you tried this?

Think I might have to go down route of adjusting it ok. Just doesn't seem right for something fresh off the shelf. Also wary in case I damage it.

Funny enough this is what I ended up buying in the end. Having similar problems to you. One thing that did help is that apparently, the grinder tends to clump a little which can lead to channeling, and just using something like a paperclip to run through it after it comes out of the grinder has helped. I'll have to try the above as well of adjusting the burrs as while it helped I still am not getting an extracted shot I am fully happy with.

Another thing I meant to mention is good fresh beans make all the difference. I was waiting for an order online and picked up some stuff in the Aldi/Lidl to get me by until it arrived but no matter what I did with the beans I couldn't get anything resembling a decent shot with a very similar problem that you describe of the flow rate being way too fast even at the lowest setting so the beans themselves make a huge difference. Good quality, freshly roasted beans fixed that problem and my issue now is more getting the shot dialed in at this stage.

Always have fresh beans, so that's not the issue. Am going to try adjust burr this evening and will report back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Contact Sage - smart grinder is similar (pretty much same) as the BE - even with preset internal and external at 5 I can clog the espresso machine to death.

When you get a sage grinder I understand there are 2 adjustable parts (is the case in the BE anyway) - google how to adjust internal Birr and you might have some joy. If not some of the grinders on BE's (thread here on it) have not worked and needed a shim kit to be sent out which solved the problems.

Just tried adjusting the burr (twice) and unfortunately doesn't seem to be aligned correctly as making a bad sound and not grinding :( Will try again tomorrow, hopefully with better results....

As the other poster said I don't think you should have to do this to grind fine enough. Something else is going on here. With good quality coffee, I have only had issues dialing in the shot where I didn't think the grind size was adjusting finely enough between moving from let's say 5 to 4 but if I went to 3 the lowest I have got any bean it choked. I think I need to adjust other factors in compensation. I am thinking am I better off returning it. It is a lovely piece of kit that is so simple to use if I could get the shots dialed in I would be very happy so going to spend another bit of time with it to see what I can manage.

• Advertisement

It.was.the.beans.

So, had been using beans bought from local Bewleys. Switched to a bag bought from Shoe Lane coffee (roasted in the last week) and machine works well. Setting at 12 for a good espresso grind, with upper burr restored to default setting of 6. So won't be buying any more beans from Bewleys - funny given I bought the machine through them.

Advertisement