Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Apparently the DUP's next tactic will be to pull the plug on devolution unless the protocol goes.

https://twitter.com/StephenNolan/status/1405618432679235588

How are they this blind that they cannot understand this only does more to hurt them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

VinLieger wrote: »
    How are they this blind that they cannot understand this only does more to hurt them?

"Never interrupt your opponent when they're making a mistake..... or when they're pouring petrol on a fire of their own making! :D

Seriously I was laughing when i heard that they'd kicked Poots to the kerb after less than a month because they just keep deluding themselves into thinking that incoherent threats and delusional threats of riots incited by THEM is going to get them their own way.

The only thing more hillarious I could hear tonight is if Boris turned around and threatened them with a Border Poll if they kept it up as a counter argument against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

Better to be seen to be going down in flames fighting is my guess.

They are dinosaur's incapable of adapting to social and political changes.

They are backing themselves into an ever tighter corner and remind me of Terrablanche and his nut job followers in their final days when major political and social change was occurring in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Infini wrote: »
    "Never interrupt your opponent when they're making a mistake..... or when they're pouring petrol on a fire of their own making! :D

Seriously I was laughing when i heard that they'd kicked Poots to the kerb after less than a month because they just keep deluding themselves into thinking that incoherent threats and delusional threats of riots incited by THEM is going to get them their own way.

The only thing more hillarious I could hear tonight is if Boris turned around and threatened them with a Border Poll if they kept it up as a counter argument against them.

Or Sammy Wilson getting the job!

https://twitter.com/dmcbfs/status/1405624037829644289

Sure there's nobody else at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

Please please please let it be Sammy.

If we have to listen to their drivel it might as well be entertaining!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apparently the DUP's next tactic will be to pull the plug on devolution unless the protocol goes.

https://twitter.com/StephenNolan/status/1405618432679235588
    At the very best that would mean Westminster pushing through a bunch of delayed laws.

It would also hand Westminster , the Tory party, some of the cabinet , carte blanche to do whatever they wanted to, to NI.

This comment explains what would happen next
    The DUP backstabbed Theresa May.

Now, the Tories themselves jettisoned her, but that was Tory on Tory. That's expected.

Someone else doing it?

Your cards are marked.

Ditching NI would free up £10bn a year to bribe Scotland to stay.
    More importantly it would get Brexit Done ! And free GB from having to accept EU rules.

Yes the DUP can prop up a Tory government but if Sammy's in charge and the DUP loose seats to Alliance / UUP / TUV at the next election it becomes a lot more difficult and may not be worth bothering for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If countries like the US and Japan for example have a different approach to privacy laws,why is it wrong?

Have you ever experienced US "privacy" laws? I think it's very, very wrong that I can find out more about friends of friends of Americans I've never spoken to than about my real world European neighbours down the lane.

As for the EU insisting that all member states "fall into line", that's another peculiarly British misconception. The EU lays down (or attempts to lay down) minimum standards for all member states. There's rarely anything stopping individual members from enacting tougher/better rules - e.g. the privacy laws in Germany are much stricter than in France or Ireland (try finding Google Streetview info for some addresses of interest - there are huge swathes of the country where the images are not available).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't imagine Wilson having support for the leadership. He'd bring more volatility and controversy. I think it will go to Donaldson. He lost it by a whisker to Poots last time and I think they'll look to him to bring some stability to the party.

What will be a concern to the Irish government is that Donaldson was talking quite tough about cutting off contact with the south, in contrast to Poots who met with Martin and seemed willing to establish a dialogue. There seems to be an appetite within the DUP for raging against everyone over the protocol - and now the Irish language act - and I suspect Donaldson will be happy to do so. What better way to unify a DUP split than to focus on external enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There are a lot of British people unhappy about brexit.
    Having said that,some things about the way the EU operates,demanding all members fall into line and follow brussels lead is disturbing and certainly one of the concerns I`ve always had. The discussion earlier today regarding the trade deal between the UK and Japan is an example of `EU or nothing`attitude from many posters here.If countries like the US and Japan for example have a different approach to privacy laws,why is it wrong? Just because it differs from EU privacy laws is`nt a good enough reason imo,whose to say the EU approach is`nt OTT?

Do you understand why the expect members to implement agreed rules and regulations? And why they push for 3rd countries to adopt the same?

Or do you think that it just the faceless bureaucrats in Brussels do it for fun?

How can you have free trade and open borders without agreed rules? It couldn't possibly work.

What level of rules setting do you think is right? County Council level? Country, province? Does a country wide regulation make sense? What about within a trade agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There seems to be an appetite within the DUP for raging against everyone over the protocol - and now the Irish language act - and I suspect Donaldson will be happy to do so. What better way to unify a DUP split than to focus on external enemies.
    That ship already sailed.

Westminster has agreed to introduce an Irish Language Act in Northern Ireland if Stormont fails to do so. There's some other bits and pieces that could get passed too.

It's exactly how abortion and same sex marriage got legislated for in NI. So they can't say they were fooled. DUP are burning goodwill like it's feeding a cash for ash boiler.

Also today the EU have made it very clear that the Protocol stays. So no point tilting at that windmill. Especially if you've undermined a Tory PM not so long ago

Paul Gavin is the First Minister for the duration unless he or Michelle O'Neill resigns. He got four votes at an earlier DUP meeting. Proposer, seconder and nominee makes three ? 24 votes against , and rumour is that Sammy was there and he's not an MLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Having said that,some things about the way the EU operates,demanding all members fall into line and follow brussels lead is disturbing and certainly one of the concerns I`ve always had.

Heaven forbid that member states abide by the very rules that they themselves agreed to not only abide by but had a say in crafting too. The UK _was_ Brussels, proverbially speaking. Honestly, this is what-is-the-EU-and-how-does-it-work 101 level stuff Rob.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More importantly it would get Brexit Done ! And free GB from having to accept EU rules.
    So no trade deal with the EU for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Having said that,some things about the way the EU operates,demanding all members fall into line and follow brussels lead is disturbing and certainly one of the concerns I`ve always had. The discussion earlier today regarding the trade deal between the UK and Japan is an example of `EU or nothing`attitude from many posters here.If countries like the US and Japan for example have a different approach to privacy laws,why is it wrong? Just because it differs from EU privacy laws is`nt a good enough reason imo,whose to say the EU approach is`nt OTT?

Do you mean like how countries had to fall in line and drop roaming charges? Nasty EU, doing good for you and me. How about ensuring airlines could not palm you off if their flight is delayed? How dare they tell the UK to implement these rules when they were doing it at the time, right? You are on slippery territory when you make these pronouncements without having the full picture and seem to parrot the Brexit cheering media talking points.

As for our position on data privacy, do you think the EU standards are too lax and do you agree it should be easier for those interested in gaining your information to get it? Also, just out of interest, are you backing out of the NHS sharing your data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭rock22

Rob, with the greatest respect, you need to stop believing all that Brexit propaganda you are reading.

Do you think it is some 'King of the EU' , living in Brussels, who makes all the rules.?

EU citizens have made it clear they want more and more privacy protection

Rob what's your opinion of Jacob Rees Mogg telling the DUP they either need to pass the ILA or Westminster will do it for them because that's how the United Kingdom works? How is that different to your problem with the EU demanding all members fall in line and follow Brussels lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Enzokk wrote: »
    Do you mean like how countries had to fall in line and drop roaming charges? Nasty EU, doing good for you and me. How about ensuring airlines could not palm you off if their flight is delayed? How dare they tell the UK to implement these rules when they were doing it at the time, right? You are on slippery territory when you make these pronouncements without having the full picture and seem to parrot the Brexit cheering media talking points.

As for our position on data privacy, do you think the EU standards are too lax and do you agree it should be easier for those interested in gaining your information to get it? Also, just out of interest, are you backing out of the NHS sharing your data?

I hoped to provide a link suggesting EU privacy laws hinder the fight against terrorism but unfortunately the article by bloomsberg is paywalled.
    Questioning EU vs the rest of the world approach to privacy laws has prompted some interesting responses,some even resorting to ridicule and the tired old accusations of 'must be a brexiteer '.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Rob what's your opinion of Jacob Rees Mogg telling the DUP they either need to pass the ILA or Westminster will do it for them because that's how the United Kingdom works? How is that different to your problem with the EU demanding all members fall in line and follow Brussels lead?

Fair point, although the archaic DUP approach has probably done more damage to the Union than anything else and enabled 'bandwagon'jumpers like MacDonald.
    I have no problem with languages having parity personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭rock22

I hoped to provide a link suggesting EU privacy laws hinder the fight against terrorism but unfortunately the article by bloomsberg is paywalled.
    Questioning EU vs the rest of the world approach to privacy laws has prompted some interesting responses,some even resorting to ridicule and the tired old accusations of 'must be a brexiteer '.

Rob , if you come here and repeat Brexiteer propaganda then you risk being confused with a Brexiteer.

saying "demanding all members fall into line and follow brussels lead" is clearly Brexiteer propaganda, is clearly lies and it clearly indicates a complete lack of understanding of the policy making processes in the EU.

So, either you posted in error, or you don't understand how the EU works, or you just want to disseminate Brexiteer propaganda. As you are claiming not to be a Brexiteer, then can you explain you own post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You probably meant this one (not paywalled for me) which, as you point out, is only an opinion - specifially the opinion of someone who would like access to everyone's personal data.

This has nothing to do with Brexit; it's more akin to the infamous 2nd Amendment argument in the US "to kill a bad guy with a gun, you need a good guy with a gun." In other words, let's avoid dealing with the root cause and just treat everyone as an armed suspected terrorist.

And yet there are howls of protest when we apply that logic to the import of food and other agricultural products from the very same regions that apply this kind of guilty-till-proven-innocent attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

rock22 wrote: »
    So, either you posted in error, or you don't understand how the EU works, or you just want to disseminate Brexiteer propaganda. As you are claiming not to be a Brexiteer, then can you explain you own post?
    I'll do something unusual for me in regards to Rob but I honestly don't think Rob is a Brexiteer exactly as he says. While I do disagree with Rob on quite a few topics as shown in this thread I think he's looking at it from a UK perspective of "Well we're here and have to do the best of it". He's clearly articulate and informed enough to know being in EU had preferable agreements (and has stated as much several times) but try to deal with the hand given, UK (in what ever form it may be at the time) is not rejoining EU any time soon. I simply think that he get biased sources tilted one way in the same way a lot of us are tilted in the other direction and in the same way we read things into what Boris and his Brexit cabal say/do/claim (and speculate/state their reasons) he's doing from the "other side" of the argument of EU actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Nody wrote: »
    I'll do something unusual for me in regards to Rob but I honestly don't think Rob is a Brexiteer exactly as he says. While I do disagree with Rob on quite a few topics as shown in this thread I think he's looking at it from a UK perspective of "Well we're here and have to do the best of it". He's clearly articulate and informed enough to know being in EU had preferable agreements (and has stated as much several times) but try to deal with the hand given, UK (in what ever form it may be at the time) is not rejoining EU any time soon. I simply think that he get biased sources tilted one way in the same way a lot of us are tilted in the other direction and in the same way we read things into what Boris and his Brexit cabal say/do/claim (and speculate/state their reasons) he's doing from the "other side" of the argument of EU actions.

I agree with reading Rob's posts he is more patriotic than a brexiteer.

With regard to the perspective of "having to do the best of it".

That should be the UK take on it but what if feels to the rest of us the attitude is "we've done what we wanted and everyone else has to deal with it and we don't really care how it impacts any of you".

And it's this attitude coming from the Tory government that is forming peoples attitude to the UK, especially when through their Brexit process they kept using the "will of the people" defence, in other words it's the UK people that feel this way towards the EU and we, the Tory government, are just giving the UK people what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

As do human rights and not committing the full genocide of anyone from an Islamic country (or let's go wider - everyone on earth).

Edit: (not all terrorism is Islamic related - and also not all Muslims are in Islamic countries - so my analogy is pretty poor).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Kate (Baroness) Hoey is saying that "The next logical step" for the Republic of Ireland to take would be to leave the EU in the near future.

She made the comments on today's (June 18th) Chopper's Politics podcast hosted by the Daily Telegraph's chief political correspondent Chris "Chopper" Hope.

You can download and/or listen to the whole thing here (she says it after about 30 mins 20 seconds).

She claims there is a "Big debate going on" in Ireland now about leaving the EU "Now that they have become a contributor".

Is there really a big debate going on, underground, that we don't hear about because of the (HISS BOOO) "Main Stream Media" or is this just wishful thinking from increasingly desperate Brexiteers?

Maybe they have spent all their time talking to a small group of people, eg Ray Bassett the doughty voice of Irish Euroscepticism who has been quoted or mentioned in the Daily Express 88 times in the five years since the Brexit referendum, according to a detailed Google Search of that paper's site. That's once in every 3 weeks on average, sustained over half a decade which is quite a tally for a "retired Irish diplomat". They must REALLY like what he has to say!!

I think anyone with a knowledge of Irish history (perfunctory or detailed) who compares this country's performance and conditions since joining the EEC/EC/EU with its fate under British administration would NEVER want to return to a relationship with Britain where that country held the whip hand. They'd only get a taste for using it.

But still, if there's a debate, I'd love to participate. Where is it taking place and who are the Irexiteers? (Apart from Gemma, John and Herman the German)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Kate (Baroness) Hoey is saying that "The next logical step" for the Republic of Ireland to take would be to leave the EU in the near future.

She made the comments on today's (June 18th) Chopper's Politics podcast hosted by the Daily Telegraph's chief political correspondent Chris "Chopper" Hope.

You can download and/or listen to the whole thing here (she says it after about 30 mins 20 seconds).

She claims there is a "Big debate going on" in Ireland now about leaving the EU "Now that they have become a contributor".

Is there really a big debate going on, underground, that we don't hear about because of the (HISS BOOO) "Main Stream Media" or is this just wishful thinking from increasingly desperate Brexiteers?

Maybe they have spent all their time talking to a small group of people, eg Ray Bassett the doughty voice of Irish Euroscepticism who has been quoted or mentioned in the Daily Express 88 times in the five years since the Brexit referendum, according to a detailed Google Search of that paper's site. That's once in every 3 weeks on average, sustained over half a decade which is quite a tally for a "retired Irish diplomat". They must REALLY like what he has to say!!

I think anyone with a knowledge of Irish history (perfunctory or detailed) who compares this country's performance and conditions since joining the EEC/EC/EU with its fate under British administration would NEVER want to return to a relationship with Britain where that country held the whip hand. They'd only get a taste for using it.

But still, if there's a debate, I'd love to participate. Where is it taking place and who are the Irexiteers? (Apart from Gemma, John and Herman the German)

Support for the EU in Ireland is always and still is very high, at some point is was over 80% positivity.

The only ones that say there is a "debate" going on are Brexiterrs or the town jester Herman Kelly, who worked for Farage.

We will always hear this from Mod: No insults please like this to detract from the fact that they have no defence for the shambles they find themselves in, so they blame others or try and shift the focus to them.

What country would do their own version of Brexit after seeing how this has gone on? We are watching an economic car crash in slow motion and yet, we still hear from Hoey, Farage, Kelly etc about an Irexit...Kelly was laughed at on TV when he talked about it when about 50 people showed up to a hotel to hear them talk about it.

Ireland benefits and has reaped the rewards from EU membership. Just look at the Brexit proceedings as an example of that, every single one said "no hard boarder" and they stuck with it. When the Brexit types say "You take orders from the EU", all that says to me is that they still see Ireland as a British territory in a way, and they we will eventually "come back". They can not get their head around that we ARE the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hoey is not mistaken. She is lying.

The Irexit party wasn't able to get remotely close to a figure of 52% of the UK residents entitled to vote, nevermind support from locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The nutty thing about her argument is that most Eurosceptics across the continent have no desire to smash the relationship with Europe. To SNIP. No insults. like her and her pal Farage, if you have some issues with EU membership, your first course of action should be to tell them to F off and that you are leaving the union and the single market forever.

It would be like having an argument with your wife over who is drying the dishes and then filing for divorce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hoey is, to be blunt, talking out of her àss and is a spectacularly disingenuous attempt to justify brexit by implying it has unlocked a latent discontent in other nations (when reality has been anything but), in particular one her type like to think never truly let go of Britain's lure. By means of taking advantage of the likelihood any listening audience hasn't a damn clue about Irish politics. embarrassing, childish stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No insults please. Post removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement