Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Children running clubs

2»

Comments



  • Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Still silly.

    I know our kids are mixed up until the under 7s and then they go separately.

    We seem to have a fondness for unnecessary segregation in this country for some reason (which is straying off the topic).

    Maybe, but as I said at the end of my post, that in the mixed soccer academy that I help coach most of the girls drop out by u9 because they want to play with girls only. In our community the girls gaelic games have much greater participation than the girls soccer and if the boys and girls gaelic games were amalgamated we could end up with the same issue of girls dropping out. Our soccer club is exploring setting up a girls-only academy because parents have requested it for the girls.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would concur with the poster above re ratios. There are very few mothers involved as volunteers at GAA for either boys or girls teams whereas the athletics the split is about 50:50, soccer was all Dads. Our scouts is about 50:50 aswell. Makes sense when you consider the participation ratios at teenager and adult levels.

    Can't speak for scouts but I agree with you regarding the rest. In our clubs the soccer and boys GAA has all males coaching. Athletics is about 50:50.




  • The counterpoint to this is that very few boys will do something like gymnastics or Irish dancing because its seen as a girls thing.

    Ironically the training for Irish dancing is far far harder, more physically demanding, than the training for GAA or athletics.

    And I'd say that gymnastics would be a far better complement to GAA or athletics than say soccer or rugby, from the POV of physical develooment.




  • longrunn wrote: »
    On the topic of parents not helping out, I can appreciate that some parents have circumstances where they just can't. For most of my older son's years I travelled extensively for work and it just wasn't possible to volunteer with the clubs. Now that my job doesn't require so much travel I'm free to help out with my younger son's activities and give back to clubs that my older son got so much from. I also understand that some other parents have already done their time volunteering in one of the local clubs (we have GAA, soccer, and athletics) with their other children.

    But, there are some parents who will come to every training session and match and just stand and watch. They haven't ever volunteered with any of the other clubs and when asked to help out they refuse. It grinds my gears because we have made it clear to parents that we are short of helpers.

    Absolutely - thats where I would have an issue. The people who rather chat with other parents on the sideline than get involved. I guess there are freeloaders in society and this is just one such example.

    To your point - if a family has five kids, yes I would absolutely get if they cant help out.




  • Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The counterpoint to this is that very few boys will do something like gymnastics or Irish dancing because its seen as a girls thing.

    Ironically the training for Irish dancing is far far harder, more physically demanding, than the training for GAA or athletics.

    And I'd say that gymnastics would be a far better complement to GAA or athletics than say soccer or rugby, from the POV of physical develooment.

    My youngest lad is mad to start gymnastics. I know some local lads who did it and it was a huge advantage to them in their sports, and now they're late teens and built like tanks. The problem here in Cork is that all the gymnastic clubs are full and there's massive waiting lists apparently. I should probably go and get him added to the lists anyway.....




  • longrunn wrote: »
    My youngest lad is mad to start gymnastics. I know some local lads who did it and it was a huge advantage to them in their sports, and now they're late teens and built like tanks. The problem here in Cork is that all the gymnastic clubs are full and there's massive waiting lists apparently. I should probably go and get him added to the lists anyway.....

    Thats a huge issue. I mentioned it at the outset.

    There is a huge resource gap basically between the GAA clubs and nearly all the rest.

    This is exacerbated by COVID, whereby the gymnastics clubs etc had to shut down for close on 18 months, whereas the GAA clubs were only closed for 7 or 8 months.

    My youngest was gymnastics mad for a few years, Simone Biles was her big hero, going into backwards crab was a major life achievement for her. However with the clubs closed she stopped thinking about it, so much so that she said she didnt want to go back when it reopened last week. I pushed here and thankfully she said she loved it.

    What you should try to do is get him on a summer camp run by the club, sometimes these arent filled by members. This is a good backdoor. Let the coach know you are keen and if they be on the waiting list for these camps.


  • Advertisement


  • Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Thats a huge issue. I mentioned it at the outset.

    There is a huge resource gap basically between the GAA clubs and nearly all the rest.

    This is exacerbated by COVID, whereby the gymnastics clubs etc had to shut down for close on 18 months, whereas the GAA clubs were only closed for 7 or 8 months.

    My youngest was gymnastics mad for a few years, Simone Biles was her big hero, going into backwards crab was a major life achievement for her. However with the clubs closed she stopped thinking about it, so much so that she said she didnt want to go back when it reopened last week. I pushed here and thankfully she said she loved it.

    What you should try to do is get him on a summer camp run by the club, sometimes these arent filled by members. This is a good backdoor. Let the coach know you are keen and if they be on the waiting list for these camps.




    Our gymnastic club was opened till last Dec. Sport Ireland said they could open as its consider individual training rather than group!!!


    It's back on since last week also

    My youngest boy wants to do it but he has too much sport already and not willing to drop anything!!!




  • Our gymnastic club was opened till last Dec. Sport Ireland said they could open as its consider individual training rather than group!!!


    It's back on since last week also

    My youngest boy wants to do it but he has too much sport already and not willing to drop anything!!!

    In our case, the club used a school for training and they could no longer do that after COVID, and that was part of the problem.

    But obviously also, for 8 year olds they are going in as groups, not individuals.

    It opened up for two classes in November, that was all.




  • Tombo2001 wrote: »
    In our case, the club used a school for training and they could no longer do that after COVID, and that was part of the problem.

    But obviously also, for 8 year olds they are going in as groups, not individuals.

    It opened up for two classes in November, that was all.

    Mine was 9 last year but its consider individual. They have their own premises


Advertisement