Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Septic Tank Grants

Options
  • 17-06-2021 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have bought an old derelict cottage built around 100 years ago but it will need to have new septic tank and well put in.
    I know of the grants for the well but its little confusing on the septic tank.

From what I understand, the I am about a mile outside of the area that would automatically get a grant and the only way to get one is through an inspection. But they randomly select and you cant nominate yourself!

Does this mean that I need to have someone complain to the council or EPA in order to go through that process?

Has anyone else gone through this process or provide any clarity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nameloc wrote: »
    I have bought an old derelict cottage built around 100 years ago but it will need to have new septic tank and well put in.

From what I understand, the I am about a mile outside of the area that would automatically get a grant and the only way to get one is through an inspection. But they randomly select and you cant nominate yourself!

Does this mean that I need to have someone complain to the council or EPA in order to go through that process?

Im not sure but i thought if you are outside the area, there is no grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I believe the grant is only available if the tank was registered in 2013.
    I could well be wrong about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Welcome to the world of derelict cottages, mine is a little older (200+) purchased 20 years ago and now happily restored. Mine however was not fully derelict in the sense I could live in it immediately albeit some cold early winters. I also had a mobile home on site during major jobs.

At a guess yours is totally derilict and has not been inhabited or in use for quite some time? If so, it's doubtful you would qualify for grant Aid but this only a guess, Grants in essence, I believe are geared towards septic tanks that have been in use.

The 2013 date was when an inspection regime commenced and its based on these inspections if upgrade, repairs are determined, and possibly of grants being applicable, I'm not entirely sure if owners had to register as such. If a grant was an option they are up to 85% of cost but again its how to qualify is the trick.

I've not heard a word since 2013, no inspection, nothing, my tank is fine, not massive use, I live alone etc but if and when an inspection done and works required, I'll look at grant options then. I'm in Laois by the way.

There's very little info available but I found a link that might point you in the right direction. Good luck with the project, I'm still doing things 20 years later :) link below

https://www.epa.ie/environment-and-you/waste-water/inspections--repair/#d.en.86118

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You get the grant if.

Live in a high status catchment
    Or
    We're inspected randomly under the inspection plan

And You've registered on protect or Water by 2013.

I think there's talk of the last bit changing

You get the grant if.

Or

And You've registered on protect or Water by 2013.

Are you saying if you registered with Irish water?, just curious as I did albeit billing didn't last long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You get the grant if.

Or

And You've registered on protect or Water protectourwater.ie by 2013.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Are you saying if you registered with Irish water?, just curious as I did albeit billing didn't last long
    Not Irish Water ,but "protectourwater"

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_and_coasts/domestic_wastewater_treatment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nameloc

To be honest, the place has been derelict since 2006 so I doubt it was registered. The guy who bought it after was going to build a whole new house originally.

I may have to call them to see if the registration can be done now and then see if its just a case of being reported

Apologies, miss read your post

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yurtyaherne

To be honest, the place has been derelict since 2006 so I doubt it was registered. The guy who bought it after was going to build a whole new house originally.

I may have to call them to see if the registration can be done now and then see if its just a case of being reported

It's not a case of it being reported.

Each local authority get a list at the start of a year that they have to inspect. The list is taken from the septic tanks registered with ProtectOurWater prior to 2013.

If your tank was reported, you could get a visit from an Environmental Enforcement Officer from the local authority. Enforcement proceeding then may take place where you would have to rectify any issues with the existing septic tank or potentially end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yurtyaherne

Regardless, to obtain a septic tank grant from your local authority, the following criteria must be met:
    - the treatment system requiring attention must have been registered by the owner by 1st February 2013, or in the case of treatment systems constructed or installed after this date registration must have been completed within 90 days of connection and grants will not be paid towards the normal costs of ensuring a system is working properly, for example: maintaining, servicing or de-sludging a domestic waste water treatment system.

You can still register it now for a cost of €50 (it was €5 to register prior to 1st February 2013) but that won't give you any entitlement to a grant.

• Advertisement

If you bought the house post 2013, register.
    They might have to change the qualifying criteria.

Advertisement