Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a natural way to moisturise skin without using moisturiser?

Options
  • 17-06-2021 6:36pm

(I'd better get this in at the start -- drink lots of water, yeah did that!)

My skin reacts badly to moisturiser, I must have some kind of allergy to it. If I moisturise my face, my skin feels warm and gets slightly red. I look like I've been too long out in the sun.

The same happens with body lotion, but only on places where the skin is pretty thin, like the shins, back, and forearms.

What would be a good way to moisturise without a commercial moisturiser? Or, is there a moisturiser that could be bought, even on prescription (I don't know why, but that might be a thing!) which doesn't generate this irritation?

Have tried everything from Dermalogica to Lancome to pretty much everything available in a Boots pharmacy, down the years, and I just had to stop moisturising eventually.

I'm getting by just by drinking lots of water, but in weather like this, I sometimes end up with dry skin anyway, which is a bit annoying.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas of a solution? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Have you tried washing your face with something like silcocks base?

Pure aloe vera?

Or baby lotions that are specifically for delicate skin? We found some of the natural stuff (weleda) was good for our kids when they got aczema and dry patches

GingerLily wrote: »
    Have you tried washing your face with something like silcocks base?
    Silcocks was definitely an improvement, but still gives that annoying redness. I used it as moisturiser though.

When you say washing your face in it, I haven't tried that. You mean just using it as a facewash, right? That might work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have you tried any body oils? Plenty on the market, Nuxe and Caudalie make popular ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have similar skin.
    I use Epaderm cream for cleansing, moisturising and taking off make up.
    I don't get the stinging sensation anymore and it feels soothing.
    Stay away from any product that is in the cosmetic section.
    Go to the section in the pharmacy that is near the baby care/personal bathing range.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Sounds weird, get seaweed blend it, chop lemon into it. Blend til its like a paste then apply it as an exfoliator

I have similar skin.
    I use Epaderm cream for cleansing, moisturising and taking off make up.
    I don't get the stinging sensation anymore and it feels soothing.
    Stay away from any product that is in the cosmetic section.
    Go to the section in the pharmacy that is near the baby care/personal bathing range.
    Where'd you get that P.M.? A google search suggests boots? ill have a look tomorrow.

Just did the Silcocks face-wash thing and my face looks sunburned again, was worth a try anyway!

What is this anyway? Is it a specific allergy? Maybe if I knew what it causing the irritation, I could just avoid that. I've tried cross-referencing the ingredients, but anything vaguely oily seems to aggravate my face.

My local village chemist sells it so you'll get in most chemist shops.
    It comes in a tub or in a pump bottle.
    I've tried silcocks base, aqueous cream etc. Epaderm feels the milest to me.
    Like I said I use it for everything. I don't do the moisturiser/cleanser thing anymore.
    I think we just have very sensitive skin. I often thought of going to a dermatologist but I've too many more urgent bills to pay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'm no professional, but it sounds like your skin is super sensitive, that can happen sometimes when you've worn down your skins barrier and your skin can be sensitive to most products until it gets better.

I'm washing my new borns skin with silcocks base and thought it was worth a try.

Have you tried LaRochePosay Toleraine range? It might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm the same. Elizabeth Ardens 8 hour cream is good but it's not cheap. You could use Vaseline. I don't mess with my face much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 NYmaybe21

Moogoo products seems to get a lot of recommendations - Eg: Moogoo Irritable Skin Balm

May be worth trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

A tyrant should never moisturise but if needs must , try aveeno ultra calming or the LaRochePosay one mentioned. They are both princess friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

Have you tried olive oil or coconut oil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I use coconut oil on my skin after a shower and also leave it in my hair overnight to help my dry scalp.

I haven't tried it on my face but it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was just about to suggest a vegetable oil. Jojoba or coconut would be my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Have you ever mentioned it to your GP? It sounds like you could possibly have acne rosacea or something as your skin is so sensitive and that’d explain why everything is irritating your skin.
    Also there’s a lot of controversy about using coconut oils and similar on the skin and that they can do more bad than good.
    You might need a prescription product and ideally a dermatologist should have a look but they aren’t very accessible in this country unless you have good private health insurance cover but a good GP might be able to refer you to someone or even diagnose you.
    I suppose it really depends on how much it’s bothering you but I’d be of the view that long term your skin is probably going to age badly as it sounds like the skin barrier could be pretty badly damaged if there’s no moisture there. Also puts you more at risk of more serious skin conditions. Definitely wear a good high spf everyday either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

+1 for La Roche Posay Toleraine range. The least irritating moisturiser is the Ultra creme which comes in a pump bottle. It has no preservatives which are often the ingredient that cause irritation. Ask the pharmacy staff for a little sample before you buy as it costs around 20 euro per bottle.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    A tyrant should never moisturise but if needs must , try aveeno ultra calming or the LaRochePosay one mentioned. They are both princess friendly.

What's with the "princess friendly" :confused:

OP, foods like salmon and other oily fish like mackerel, avocado, nuts, flaxseeds etc are all supposed to help. Also collagen - but jury is out a little on that - there is a marine collagen type powder that you can add to protein/shakes.

I actually can't touch La Roche products.
    Unless it's in the bathing/baby section, I don't go near it.
    So yea, ask for a sample of La Roche before buying a full one.

• Advertisement

NYmaybe21 wrote: »
    Moogoo products seems to get a lot of recommendations - Eg: Moogoo Irritable Skin Balm

May be worth trying?

MooGoo is great. My little baba has sensitive skin and everything brings it up red and irritated except this brand, specifically the Irritable Skin Balm from the Baby range.

It's not heavy or greasy and it's never caused a reaction. I've used it on my own face and it's very pleasant and does the job. I'd recommend giving it a try, given the OPs level of sensitivity.

I bought that epaderm cream last week, it's definitely a clear improvement so thanks for that recommendation, Purple Mountain.
    honeyjo wrote: »
    Have you tried olive oil or coconut oil ?
    gypsylee wrote: »
    I use coconut oil on my skin after a shower and also leave it in my hair overnight to help my dry scalp.

I haven't tried it on my face but it might help.

Coconut based shower-gel is one of the few products that doesn't aggravate my skin, so coconut oil might work.

HJ, I'm pretty sure if I put olive oil on my skin, I'll come out in zits, but I'll have a look for coconut based stuff tomorrow. In the meantime, the epaderm stuff is definitely a big improvement.
    lubie76 wrote: »
    Have you ever mentioned it to your GP? It sounds like you could possibly have acne rosacea or something as your skin is so sensitive
    Nah my skin is clear. It's must be something genetic, because some of my siblings can't even tolerate suncream. I can tolerate it, but end up looking sunburned. Might mention it to the G.P. alright, I'm sure it's some kind of allergy.

Some ingredients can make your skin more sensitive to the sun so make sure you're using SPF as well when trying out these new products!

Advertisement