Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever quit a job then regretted it?

Options
  • 16-06-2021 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey! I'm thinking about quitting my job. I want to do something different but don't know what yet. I have plenty of savings to cover bills etc for over a year.
    Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Is there anything stopping you from discovering what you want to do while you remain in the job?

You may need your savings to finance your transition once you have decided what you want to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yea try figure out what you wanna do while working, you ll blow through your savings fairly quickly, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Could you reduce your hours at the current job while you make the transition? If you eventually want to apply for a new job the application processes can be long winded so your year of savings could run out. Same situation if you start your own business- takes a while to see profits.

If you are thinking you might do freelance work it might work in your favour to be free all day in case work comes up but this depends on your area of work and it is a high risk strategy. Get all your contacts ready before you hand in your notice.

As above advice and also - consider asking for a leave of absence or career break if such an option exists in your work- it allows you to explore other career areas without having the day to day stresses of daily work to deal with but the cushion of a job to go back to if things don’t work out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

If you can't decide on something else to try while you're working, what makes you think you'll have a lightbulb moment when you're not? It's a fantasy IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Potatopie

OP here,

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!
    Big help, moral of the story... "keep 'er between the ditches"

Unfortunately my morals are more "act now, regret later"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Go for it, its a great market for jobseekers.

Would suggest you hang on and find another job but if you that pissed off just leave.

I think what Tork said, in some ways is correct. I am in a bit of a fantasy.
    The truth is though that I want to end the current fantasy and take a break for my head and heart and then start afresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Go for it, its a great market for jobseekers.

Would suggest you hang on and find another job but if you that pissed off just leave.

It actually is in certain sectors.

I'm warning you from experience. Years ago I found myself between jobs at a time when I wanted to change direction. I thought I'd use this time to see what else I could do. The TL;DR is that I didn't get any great enlightenment, my savings took a hit and not working made it harder to get another job. I eventually changed direction anyway but I was back working when that happened.

• Advertisement

My dear ol Granny used to say....." marry in haste.../....repent at leisure"

My dear ol Granny used to say....." marry in haste.../....repent at leisure"

Grannies are the best!!
    Of course, my problem is, I act on impulse and emotion a bit too much

Tork wrote: »
    I'm warning you from experience. Years ago I found myself between jobs at a time when I wanted to change direction. I thought I'd use this time to see what else I could do. The TL;DR is that I didn't get any great enlightenment, my savings took a hit and not working made it harder to get another job. I eventually changed direction anyway but I was back working when that happened.

Are you happy doing your new thing now?

Potatopie wrote: »
    Grannies are the best!!
    Of course, my problem is, I act on impulse and emotion a bit too much

Don't go into paddy power/ boylesports on payday so

Don't go into paddy power/ boylesports on payday so

Sound advice 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP here,

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!
    Big help, moral of the story... "keep 'er between the ditches"

Unfortunately my morals are more "act now, regret later"!!
    My take on that: Don't fall between two stools!

To thine own self be true

My take on that: Don't fall between two stools!

That's a good one too.. Haven't heard that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

When you say something different. Do you mean a career change? The problem with that is. You start at the bottom again. Could take years to get to a good wage again. But it can be done.

Are you happy doing your new thing now?

Yes :) There is nothing wrong with changing careers. The point I've been making here is that quitting your job may not be the wisest way to approach this career crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Tork wrote: »
    Yes :) There is nothing wrong with changing careers. The point I've been making here is that quitting your job may not be the wisest way to approach this career crossroads.

especially at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,029 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Hey! I'm thinking about quitting my job. I want to do something different but don't know what yet. I have plenty of savings to cover bills etc for over a year.
    Has anyone ever done this?

while in the current job, think about what you want to do next.

if you are an employee working from home, go at 90% and dedicate 10% to pondering the future.

i've changed career and know others who have also, in all cases there was a plan in place.

bear in mind, if you quit you cant sign on for 9 weeks so no income for that period.

unless of course you hate your job.

and over a year i'm guessing is about 15 months. that'll run dry before you know it.

Advertisement