Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,132 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    I did consider moving KB press to Day 1, and pull ups to day 2. That ticks all the above but maybe allow one arm press to function as volume presses. I could also drop the KB weight and do a more ladder style rep scheme. I've usually avoided ad I found the overly complex. Prefering the 10x10 volume of S&S or snatch tests.

@Black Sheep

Decided to go with the above. Move KB press to Day 1 and up the volume. Some sort of ladder scheme. Although not sure if 5-4-3-2-1 or 1-2-3-4-5 makes more sense. Can’t remember Pavels logic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Mellor wrote: »
    @Black Sheep

Decided to go with the above. Move KB press to Day 1 and up the volume. Some sort of ladder scheme. Although not sure if 5-4-3-2-1 or 1-2-3-4-5 makes more sense. Can’t remember Pavels logic

I think Pavel mainly uses them to accumulate volume, and although they are ascending usually not sure it matters that much. He programmed things like 1-2-3 for multiple sets etc

I haven’t trained that way in a while but I used to love using ladders and pyramids to get high volumes of pull ups done.

My thinking was in order to hit 5 on the 5th rung, the first 4 can’t take too much out if you, so are you even working that much during 1-4. Feel like I could go heavier descending.

If you go ascending you could probably climb back 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1. #volumez

If you want to push the weight on the 5 rep rung, then yeah, descending makes more sense I guess.

When you know how many ladders you will do, what weight you will use, and how long you will rest, it would be interesting to compare the load, volume completed in comparison to a more traditional rep scheme... In some ways I think the amount of work done and the time it takes will end up looking like as if you did a rest/pause approach or something like that.

Gym here in Hanoi has been closed the last three weeks and will be the rest of the summer at least I guess as Covid-19 has finally hit with a vengeance.

I have a spare bedroom and a gym membership that ends this summer anyway. Hoping this rack I'm going to look at later will do me well enough. Rack plus bench and bar is around 300euro and weights are 1.50e a kilo. I don't know if the Rogue stencil costs extra.

39nIhCZ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He's serious bidniss. Was only the other week he did 435kg for a triple.

Twice.

Blk Box have a sale on this weekend - 20% discount and free shipping if the order is over £500.

The stuff in the sale includes squat stands, quarter rack, half rack, adjustable bench belfast bar, plyo box, etc.

It's a good time to buy if anyone was going to spend a decent bit.

Blk Box's shipping the rest of the time is quite expensive.

I think we're starting to see the gradual overshoot of supply versus demand now. A lot of these companies are getting stock in that they needed the past two years, just as the gyms are re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wow, what an incredible result in the match between Devon Larratt vs Michael Todd. Totally unexpected.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Wow, what an incredible result in the match between Devon Larratt vs Michael Todd. Totally unexpected.

Should have said 'Monster' vs 'No Limits'. Then I would have known what you were on about...

• Advertisement

Should have said 'Monster' vs 'No Limits'. Then I would have known what you were on about...

Hahaha

DylanJM wrote: »
    She also trained and competed in weightlifting prior to transitioning. She lifted a 300kg total as a junior lifter. She's now doing a 285kg total as a 43 y/o female. So only 15kg difference. I would be impressed if a male lifter who hadn't transitioned was still within 15kg of their junior total as a 40 y/o.

Hubbard debuted in the women's category at the IWF Masters in 2017, her total was 280kg.

More than the totals of second and third combined.

Just to put the lifts of the men and the women in that category into context:

E2vIuaMXoAAEMX_?format=jpg&name=medium

Allowing her compete as in the female category could never be fair.

Does anyone remember how much a bag of 5kg whey isolate is from my protein? At the moment they’re charging 120 and it’s included in their 45% sale, but 120 seems expensive. I don’t remember paying that before. Anyone purchased a bag a few months ago?

When you know how many ladders you will do, what weight you will use, and how long you will rest, it would be interesting to compare the load, volume completed in comparison to a more traditional rep scheme... In some ways I think the amount of work done and the time it takes will end up looking like as if you did a rest/pause approach or something like that.

Have done a few sessions on this.
    Load is about 66%-80% of normal load.
    Total reps are doubled with ladders. So volume up over all.

Yesterday I did up and down ladder (from 1 to 5 to 1 again) at 66%. Which is just over double volume.

Right arm is struggling more, and it's my good arm. So think I've an underlying issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see the Stronger by Science people are developing a new app to compete with MFP, Noom etc. Will be an interesting one to watch - I am sure there is a market there for a middle ground between MFP and Noom price-wise.

I've really noticed that Blk Box, Strength Shop, Mc Sport and others are really well-stocked right now compared to the situation for the past two years, and judging by what's happening with Mc Sport and Blk Box I would guess they have over shot in terms of their stock compared to the demand they projected.

Maybe they were doing their math late last year or earlier in the year and thought that 2021 would be locked down for a few months longer. Blk Box in particular have been running sale after sale the past couple of weekends, it's still a really good time to buy gear from them, both from the point of view of discounts but free shipping deals.

I'm actually surprised they're doing this, because they had positioned themselves really effectively as a mid to high end supplier, not a budget supplier, and if you run sales all the time then it can hurt that effort at gaining prestige.

There's also a fair bit of stuff being released into the second hand market, some of it obviously stuff people bought during the lockdown. I know some people have been waiting to buy equipment at the price they think it should be (Which is always low, no matter what year it is, and inflation does not exist for these people), might be worth them keeping their eyes peeled. At the moment people are listing stuff for high prices (Because of course they're like the other folks, they hate "losing money" on what they think something is still worth), but some will give in over time.

TFW you realise the trap bar is 22kg not 20kg and you are 2kg stronger than you thought :pac:

After a couple of high volume, easy sessions to get back into it I'm going straight into a strength phase with sets of 5-8 - my thinking is to try and build back some strength in this block and then in 6 weeks, revert to a higher volume 8-12 rep block - Prince and repeat.

My strength is very low at the moment so I figured this was a good approach - open to suggestions and alternatives though if anyone has any ideas. Interested in what others are doing too.

TFW you realise the trap bar is 22kg not 20kg and you are 2kg stronger than you thought :pac:

After a couple of high volume, easy sessions to get back into it I'm going straight into a strength phase with sets of 5-8 - my thinking is to try and build back some strength in this block and then in 6 weeks, revert to a higher volume 8-12 rep block - Prince and repeat.

My strength is very low at the moment so I figured this was a good approach - open to suggestions and alternatives though if anyone has any ideas. Interested in what others are doing too.

They vary depending on size - mine is 25kg. I’ve seen very small ones that might have been closer to 20kg.

Worth weighing bars sometimes just to check sometimes. Most budget priced bars are not true weight.

If I visit a gym with cheap bars I assume they are 2kg or so lighter than what they’re supposed to be. It all evens out in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

If you haven't trained in months then you're basically on beginner gains, meaning you'll gain strength and muscle back regardless. So I think that approach you have will work fine. Shoot for PRs in each block, and if you're gonna trap bar, use them low handles ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They vary depending on size - mine is 25kg. I’ve seen very small ones that might have been closer to 20kg.

Worth weighing bars sometimes just to check sometimes. Most budget priced bars are not true weight.

If I visit a gym with cheap bars I assume they are 2kg or so lighter than what they’re supposed to be. It all evens out in the end though.

I picked up one in Dec, but it was a large 38Kg I think , its strange going back to the gym one, the handles are narrow in comparison so it took a bit to get used to the different grip

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

silverharp wrote: »
    I picked up one in Dec, but it was a large 38Kg I think , its strange going back to the gym one, the handles are narrow in comparison so it took a bit to get used to the different grip

The standard hex trap bar basically has three major weights: 45/55/75 lbs (20/25/34kgs). And the 45lb hex bar one is the most popular size, which is even heavier than Olympic barbell.

So you're telling me I'm not 2kg stronger after all? :(:D:D

Thankfully 22kg is written the end of the bar, so hopefully it's 20kg in reality anyway!

Are trap bar DLs really that bad? Haven't DLed in ages as I have a bad lower back issue and just not worth pushing my luck, hence I just started in on Trap Bar DLs for the first time.

Have been using the higher handles :o Don't shoot me Cill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Thankfully 22kg is written the end of the bar, so hopefully it's 20kg in reality anyway!

Are trap bar DLs really that bad? Haven't DLed in ages as I have a bad lower back issue and just not worth pushing my luck, hence I just started in on Trap Bar DLs for the first time.

This was the article that converted me to a believer - https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

Patsy167 wrote: »
    This was the article that converted me to a believer - https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

Great thanks - it had me at "Jacked quads" :D

Nothing wrong with trap bars, they have advantages in particular contexts ... but I don’t go in for the arguments that they are “better” than straight bars either. They’re a useful speciality bar.

At the moment I am actually using them a lot myself. More quad involvement, something I want right now ...

And also yes, if you are dealing with a low back issue then potentially pulling with a more vertical back position may be a good idea. Doesn’t even have to be using the high handles most of the time. Trap bar can be handy for that, although to be honest you could just pull a straight bar off very thin plates or blocks and get similar relief. Not a permanent solution but if you’re managing something you have to do what you have to do sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I don’t mind trap bars, I just see a lot of people use them as a long term crutch for being unable to hinge. Because you can set up with the high handles so that you are basically squatting the weight. In the real world the weight will always be in front on you like a bar, stone, tyre, etc.

Some people don’t care about that, which is fine. I just don’t see the point in spending all that time strength training but being unable to pick up a couch or a heavy box when you need to.

Cill94 wrote: »
    I don’t mind trap bars, I just see a lot of people use them as a long term crutch for being unable to hinge. Because you can set up with the high handles so that you are basically squatting the weight. In the real world the weight will always be in front on you like a bar, stone, tyre, etc.

Some people don’t care about that, which is fine. I just don’t see the point in spending all that time strength training but being unable to pick up a couch or a heavy box when you need to.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to pick up a couch tbh even if I deadlift from now until I'm 100! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cill94 wrote: »

'elf & safety are all about the knee bend , idiot proof?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    'elf & safety are all about the knee bend , idiot proof?

The point behind bending your knees is that you're reducing the level of lower back flexion and risking injury.

Some loads you can pick up with more of a squat movement but some loads are bigger that you will have to hinge more to minimize lower back flexion when you're lifting.

Advertisement