Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major faux pas for FM104

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nobody is outraged, neither is this the crime of the century; I wouldn't like the lads to lose their jobs over it. It's a very foolish mistake.

Ah there is in fairness, but it's all the clowns outraged that people view FM104 dimly, the very same hypocrites who are crying snowflake are the ones most vociferously whinging.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah there is in fairness, but it's all the clowns outraged that people view FM104 dimly, the very same hypocrites who are crying snowflake are the ones most vociferously whinging.
    Yeah. Funny to observe that zero posters asked for heads to roll, but the free speech warriors waded in, in defence of FM104, replying to arguments that they have invented.

One poster has even mentioned 'burning the station down', needless to say that poster was defending the station.

I can't quite get my head around it. All anyone is saying is 'that's pretty bad form, they really ought to admit the blunder and apologise'.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I personally do think they should be sacked.

Not because of this, but because they're sh*te.

Here's a little more detail but not a lot- apparently she intends making a complaint to the BAI

https://www.thejournal.ie/mother-fm10d-kids-in-the-car-dyspraxia-5467273-Jun2021/

Here's part of the FM104 apology:

“FM104 would like to apologise for making light of a voice message from a young caller this morning.
    “During The Strawberry Alarm Clock’s Kids in the Car feature, one of our presenters made a joke about not being able to hear a voice message we received from a young boy, who we later learned has additional needs.
    “We have been in touch with the family to make a personal apology.

The more i read about this, the more I'm thinking there's something being made out of absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

I think this is missing the point altogether. Imagine growing up and learning that you were mocked on national radio because of some disability you have, and grown adults were laughing at you.

That would feel a bit shit.

Not sure about you, but I'd probably feel happier if I knew my mum kicked up a big stink about it, at the time.

Let the woman do her job.

It's like the opposite of the Streisand effect. The kid literally would never have known any of this.

Anyway, I'm normally against these kinda threads so I'll butt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I saw the post and thought, where have I seen the name Kellie Sweeney before?

Then I remembered. She's a professional moanbag on Twitter. A bleedin PBP activist.

If your parents are into that, a ribbing on the radio or even a learning difficulty are the least of your worries, let's be fair here. It's quite funny a PBP activist giving out about what they say as bullying, given what the movement did to Paddy Jackson, George Hook, the Garda who shot that eejit in D15, and I don't know how many more examples of Twitter pile ons against people who believe in statistics and science.

Nobody representing this vile party of unemployable keyboard thugs should ever be apologised to, for anything.

Let's dial back the language. No talk of "thugs" or "vile" and "unemployable" groups, please. Let's keep it civil. Thanks - Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think this is missing the point altogether. Imagine growing up and learning that you were mocked on national radio because of some disability you have, and grown adults were laughing at you.

Not sure about you, but I'd probably feel happier if I knew my mum kicked up a big stink about it, at the time.

Its this and more, there is so much work that goes on behind the scenes of people trying to break down the glass ceiling that holds people with disabilities back.

Imagine being the parent of a child going out into a world that has allot of unconscious bias's and will treat the differently because of it. Not allot can and don't even want to as they are probably privileged they don't have to think like that.

Appreciate your comments on thread.

As for FM104 if its really not as bad they should just release the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sounds like a stupid joke/segment that went badly wrong.

Doesn't warrant a cancel culture pitchfork Maud Flanders reaction Imo.

Cancelled no but at least a complaint to the BAI and a public admonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This sounds like it went as well as the time Jeremy Vine on BBC R2 decided to have a tourettes sufferer and advocate on during a live segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I don't know what we're shouting about.

>>insert Anchorman meme here<<

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

One of her jobs as the parent is choosing the radio station in the car in the morning. One of her jobs is choosing a show that she's comfortable with. One of her jobs is making the choice to allow her child to interact with a show that she's familiar with. If you go to the circus and the clowns throw custard pies at the crowd and you think it's hilarious watching the other kids get hit, you can't complain if you bring your kid the following week and he gets a pie in the face.

The guys apologized already. If she's not happy with that then tough and hopefully the BAI tell her the same. The kid was never going to learn about this in the future as everyone else would have already forgotten about it. Who were the kids on last week? Who was the kid the day before? Nobody knows except the parents as the reality is no-one else cares about these sort of segments.

FM104s biggest worry should be that in a radio forum there's a multipage thread where nobody can say they ever heard the show.

The kid was never going to learn about this in the future as everyone else would have already forgotten about it.
    Nah, I don't really buy that. Neighbours, relatives, acquaintances would have known about it, and the kid would eventually find out. If you were on the radio as a child, someone would eventually let you know.
    The guys apologized already. If she's not happy with that then tough and hopefully the BAI tell her the same.
    Did they? I know the radio station apologised, I wasn't aware the guys did, and nobody has admitted doing anything wrong. The station apologised for not being able to hear the message, or some rubbish like that.

People would have a lot more respect for them if they just admitted they fcuked up, and said sorry. Grand, move on. Nobody is calling for them to lose their jobs or anything drastic like that, just do the decent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

Nah, I don't really buy that. Neighbours, relatives, acquaintances would have known about it, and the kid would eventually find out. If you were on the radio as a child, someone would eventually let you know.

Did they? I know the radio station apologised, I wasn't aware the guys did, and nobody has admitted doing anything wrong. The station apologised for not being able to hear the message, or some rubbish like that.

People would have a lot more respect for them if they just admitted they fcuked up, and said sorry. Grand, move on. Nobody is calling for them to lose their jobs or anything drastic like that, just do the decent thing.

Oh come on - this wasn't the Zapruder film. In normal circumstances neighbors, friends, acquaintances would only have known if the mother told them and even then would have forgotten about it immediately and got on with their own lives. The kids 15 minutes were up as soon as the show ended - the only reason anyone on here knows about it is the fuss the mother made.

And yes the was a story in the Journal where she said one if the presenters called her to apologize. She also said that from now on she'll listen to Spin so if nothing else it shows she has universal terrible taste in radio.

You say all of that having not heard the audio recording.

Why apologise if this is purely a perception issue- the mother, being conscious of her child’s disability has interpreted what appears to be a simple off the cuff remark about the recording quality of the message and most likely directed at the producers of the show, and has personalised this as a direct attack on her 4 year old. It’s asking people to really stretch their imaginations to side with this woman- I’m waiting with interest on the BAI response to this but I believe they will likely class it as a misunderstanding at best and advise the station to appraise the recordings a bit better in future taking the young age of the contributors into account.

The show itself sounds ghastly and you’ll never find me tuning into that radio station but if the station is being forced to apologise for “mocking the child” when they didn’t, I don’t think that’s fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭HBC08

Leilak wrote: »
    hopefully they are both sacked over this disgraceful behaviour

You heard it yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

This is a complete non-story.

Two lads stupidly took the piss out of a kid, they apologised, end of story. Any one calling for them to be sacked needs to take a look at themselves.

If they have done no wrong release the audio on it, it's hard to say either way if you haven't heard it but if they don't release then it is fairly suspect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You say all of that having not heard the audio recording.
    I think this point is so important it's worth clarifying. Tyrant - have you actually heard what was said on the show?

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    If they have done no wrong release the audio on it, it's hard to say either way if you haven't heard it but if they don't release then it is fairly suspect.

Not necessarily. Withholding it could also be because they don’t wish any further distress to the parent of the contributor who perceives that the station was at fault in some way- that too makes logical and common sense to me- withholding the recording doesn’t at all imply guilt.

Not necessarily. Withholding it could also be because they don’t wish any further distress to the parent of the contributor who perceives that the station was at fault in some way- that too makes logical and common sense to me- withholding the recording doesn’t at all imply guilt.

They have been asked by the parent to release it. They can logically end the speculation by releasing it.

As they are not then they look guilty and hence the BAI complaint and the speculation.

Just because the parent asks, doesn't mean the radio station would be right to release the recording.

The BAI complaint will evaluate whether they've anything to answer for, not the public. And I presume the BAI have the recording.

Well if they don't release it, how can we keep asking have people heard it ?

If there shouldn't be a BAI case because they have nothing to answer for release it.

If it's a grand conspiracy from the woke brigade to take down two guys who made an innocent mistake they are playing right into their hands.

It's reasonable to ask people who have strong views on the matter in this thread - such as Tyrant - if they've heard the clip, because otherwise they're speculating based on rumour really.

Your last two points aren't full sentences and I'm not entirely sure what you mean - are you suggesting that we can't decide if there should be a BAI investigation without hearing the clip? That doesn't necessarily add up. A complaint has been made to the BAI (by the kid's mother). What would releasing the clip add to the BAI case at this stage?

If the BAI reject the complaint, then it would appear that certain people have been completely over-reacting by calling on the guys to be sacked. (Shock as people over-react on the internet). If the BAI uphold the complaint, then due process will presumably be observed, though that doesn't legitimise those who have been speculating without actually hearing what was said.

Keyzer wrote: »
    This is a complete non-story.

Two lads stupidly took the piss out of a kid, they apologised, end of story. Any one calling for them to be sacked needs to take a look at themselves.
    [Literally nobody in this forum]

There are more posts here railing against outrage, than there is actual outrage.

[Literally nobody in this forum].

Literally exactly what LeilaK posted actually.

Faugheen also

cdeb wrote: »
    Literally exactly what LeilaK posted actually.

Faugheen also
    Faugheen was joking, he said they shouldn't be sacked over this, but because they're shite.

I don't know who LeilaK is or what are her opinions, you might have that one alright.

It's way OTT to suggest sacking them, clearly.

Ok - and my apologies to Faugheen.

The other question I had for you from a few posts back - have you actually heard the clip in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭archfi

Calhoun wrote: »
    Cancelled no but at least a complaint to the BAI and a public admonishing.

If found that they have anything to be admonished about.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement