Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major faux pas for FM104

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

They don't want them treated differently. But nobody in their right mind thinks that mocking a disability, if that's what happened, is 'having the craic'.

It's 2021, whether people like it or not. You can't just presume, when children are engaging with a radio programme, that a child with a disability would never want to participate. We're not shunting them off to residential schools or keeping them hidden, these days. They're as part of our society as you or I.

No professional broadcaster can just make a presumption that a child, or any person, doesn't have a disability. In fact, there are probably posters on this forum with a disability. They deserve to be treated the same as anyone else, and pilloried if they come up with daft ideas on a thread... but never derided for an intrinsic quality, or an accident of birth, whatever you want to call it, which they cannot change.

This is not very complicated.

Again I have to say it. I don't now, never have or ever will listen to the show. I have a serious allergy to wacky radio personalities. But it would appear from what people said that the presenters did in fact treat this kid the same as anyone else. I don't like people taking the mick out of kids to try and make themselves look good, but if that's the shows format and you as a parent choose to engage with them. well then that's on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

What is wrong with you... It's a 4 year old child ffs. The excitement of them getting to hear themselves on the radio and getting to say hello to their friend's and family must be a great delight. Tell me... Why should any child be treated in that way, disability or not? Clearly you have no compassion.

Not heard as audio either, just like everyone else it seems.

But every year, Ryan Tubridy has a bit a "craic/fun" and even some adult humour (goes over kids heads) with lots of young kids on the toy show.

Is that what this radio seqment is normally like?

Did the child's Mother give any indication to the radio staff about the child.

Did the presenters genuinely think they had a coonection issue with the child? And it was this they were joking about....?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

ELM327 wrote: »
    As someone with ASD, I would expect to find the funnier aspects of my disorder laughed at. I have seen this happening in the past too, for myself and other sufferers. It can be funny. I often say the wrong thing, when I'm not picking up on cues that others would. And from the outside it's funny. I get it. People with mental disorders should not be shunned away from society. My golden rule for humor is that either it's ok to laugh at everything, or nothing is ok to laugh at.

Reminds me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

that's both hilarious and (for me) uncomfortable to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Obnoxious as I find this type of breakfast radio show, I'm kind of finding it hard to believe that the two DJs started laying into a four year-old, special needs or no - I imagine it's down to some sort of misunderstanding.

I don't see the fact that the station pulled the audio as an admission of guilt, but rather covering their as*es, just in case.

The mother should complain to the BAI if she has issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Well, not worth speculating, no. But a statement has been made, and it's not sufficient for the station just to delete/ omit to broadcast the material.

Absolutely they should be deleting this audio. Otherwise this will be downloaded and shared for "the craic" & "bantz" by other eejits and the child will be ridiculed for years.

why else do you think that the lad filmed slipping on ice a few years ago was never publicly identified?

Presenters were wrong from the sounds of it, but the station looks to be taking ownership and trying to make amends.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

hopefully they are both sacked over this disgraceful behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Leilak wrote: »

Arra' jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

They probably took it to be a kid just struggling to get going talking, making his first steps, struggling to get the words out. Which is cute and something you could have a giggle at.

Havent yet heard it, judgement reserved.
    But Id err towards the above. Until proof otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Why stop with just them getting sacked.

The entire radio station should be shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah let's #cancel the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

So apparently nobody in Twitter land or on here has heard what was said, we don’t know the nature of the disability or additional needs, but we’re supposed to be outraged all the same. Forgive me for not reaching for my pitchfork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

doc22 wrote: »
    Reminds me of this

I'd hire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

El Tarangu wrote: »
    The mother should complain to the BAI if she has issue with it.

Nah its much easier to have a whinge on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

I agree. The building should be levelled to the ground and a monument erected to commemorate this outrageous insult to the child, their family, the community at large and humour in particular.

Did you hear it, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

usually these radio shows stories are publicity stunts

And as for the Twitter stories…..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Would seem this would isn't as a weak apology has been issued.

0ph0rce0 infracted and thread-banned for making a sexual comment about the mother of the child. This isn't a private conversation, everyone can see it; and the family at the centre of this story are not public figures. Please have respect. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Seems like there largest group of people upset and pearl clutching over this are the ones by butt hurt because people think the FM104 morons are, well, morons. Equally moronic as those who use 'woke', the first sign you're not going to find a coherent argument in the post, when trying to find fault with the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

According to an article in the Journal, the kid’s Mam said
    She explained: “I have been asking them to give me the podcast of the programme but what they said was something like ‘it sounds like someone has been up all night or out all night’, something along those lines.

She also isn’t accepting their apology.

So she’s not entirely sure what they said, they’ve apologised several times publicly but that’s still not enough. What was apparently said was obviously in jest, by the sounds of her reaction I was expecting a lot worse. I wonder what else she wants :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt a 4 year old is going to pick up on what two kn*bs said on a radio show or be in any way upset about it.

Meanwhile, the kid is probably sitting in the living room wondering why mammy doesn't have any time to play with him for the last two days.

The shouldn’t have deleted it all if it was nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Normal One wrote: »
    . I wonder what else she wants :rolleyes:

an appearance on the late late show and then the toy show

I seriously doubt a 4 year old is going to pick up on what two kn*bs said on a radio show or be in any way upset about it.

I think this is missing the point altogether. Imagine growing up and learning that you were mocked on national radio because of some disability you have, and grown adults were laughing at you.

That would feel a bit shit.

Not sure about you, but I'd probably feel happier if I knew my mum kicked up a big stink about it, at the time.

Let the woman do her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Well we only really have the womans word for it. Nobody here has heard the piece so can’t say the child was mocked or not. Carry on with the torches and pitchforks though :pac:

I think this is missing the point altogether. Imagine growing up and learning that you were mocked on national radio because of some disability you have, and grown adults were laughing at you.

That would feel a bit shit.

Not sure about you, but I'd probably feel happier if I knew my mum kicked up a big stink about it, at the time.

Let the woman do her job.

Well you seem to have reached your verdict.

The radio station denied mocking the child.
    As homer says above, we have the womans word and nothing else- and i"m highly dubious of the way she's approached this.

I'm with nudain, the child is oblivious to all of this and furthermore, what you're really saying is that the DJ's in FM104 deliberately mocked a disabled 4 year old child- sorry but you're way off the mark but continue to believe every half-arsed story on twitter if it gives you comfort.

I'm with nudain, the child is oblivious to all of this and furthermore, what you're really saying is that the DJ's in FM104 deliberately mocked a disabled 4 year old child
    The child is oblivious to this, for now. Don't for a moment assume he'll never be told about it from neighbours, acquaintances, or acquaintances' children.

I don't believe the hosts deliberately mocked a disabled child. The whole point is that, in the current era, it can't be assumed that someone wouldn't have a disability which affects their speech. It's not 1950 anymore.

If you were in work and someone entered a zoom meeting with an obvious speech issue, you probably wouldn't joke about it. Because you're evidently not an idiot. You have a bit of cop-on, which seems to have been lacking here.
    Well you seem to have reached your verdict.
    Pretty much, yeah.

Nobody is outraged, neither is this the crime of the century; I wouldn't like the lads to lose their jobs over it. It's a very foolish mistake.

• Advertisement

I don't believe the hosts deliberately mocked a disabled child.

But you believe that they mocked the child nevertheless. Sorry but i have a healthy slice of scepticism built into my radar, especially when it comes to twitter posts by "activists" so i'm going to reserve judgement until i listen to the recording myself- that's if it ever gets released.

Advertisement