Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV advice - simple or 'modern'?

Options
  • 15-06-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

I've always used a very simple text-and-bullet-point CV, but many 'modern templates' have nice pops of colour and a little more flair to them.

I'm wondering if these modern CV formats would make any difference, or if they'll be a nuisance when churned through the automatic CV sorter software?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I would certainly see no advantage in using anything with splashes of colour, etc.

My favourite CVs are kept simple and fit on one A4 when printed double sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beansie

I wouldn't go adding unnecessary designs or anything. For formatting, you can't beat a nice style set on Word! There are a few professional looking ones pre installed that instantly make a CV look better. They can be easily modified as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

For my most recent job hunt I used a resume format built using Latex. It looked and worked great. One page, simple bullets, short and sweet.

Personally I prefer the resume format over the cv format and I plan to stick with a resume going forward. Note it probably helps that I'm in tech and it's booming rn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

skallywag wrote: »
    I would certainly see no advantage in using anything with splashes of colour, etc.

My favourite CVs are kept simple and fit on one A4 when printed double sided.

This can't be stressed enough.

I changed my CV format on advice in Canada in 2014 and I have never looked back.

If I was any use at macros I'd throw it up here as garbled nonsense for format viewing.

One thing I did do this year was I had a header (and footer) bar that was black, and has been since I designed it in 2014, but I changed it and the footer bar to green.

Just a small little flourish but definitely makes a difference.

It definitely makes a difference. If anyone has any suggestions on how to quickly replace text with filler I'm all ears.

Advertisement