Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cartell check shows 2 short periods of ownership

Options
  • 16-06-2021 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Going to look at a new (used) car tomorrow so I did a Cartell check this evening. Turns out the car is a UK import which wasn't mentioned on the ad...not sure if that's significant or not. The UK report shows 1 owner from new until end 2020 (so 7 years in total) Then the car was exported to Ireland. Since arriving it has had 2 owners, one for 2 months and one for 2 weeks, before arriving at the garage where it is currently. Should I be concerned at these short periods of ownership or is this part of the import process, that it would pass through a couple of 'owners'? I'll ring the garage for the low down tomorrow before I go over, just trying to gather as much knowledge as I can in the meantime so I can see if I am wasting my time. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I don't think it's normal, garage's can transfer ownership using dealer numbers so it doesnt show on the history as an 'owner'.

Would suggest to me that it was sold and then returned to the dealer after registering due to a fault, or any reason I suppose but it would make me tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres no need to mention that a car is a UK import on an add in my opinion.

I probably wouldn’t be too bothered about the owners either. If someone imported the car to sell then thats two owners in Ireland straight away

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Concentrate on the cars condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d be skeptical. Have you a link to the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Had a similar enough experience a few years back. Went to test drive a Legacy diesel estate. Really liked it, despite the clutch feeling more like an on/off switch. Asked lots of questions from the dealer - and waited for a call back....and waited....

The cartell report showed it had been owned by one owner for c.5 years, then the next owner for less than a year. Then it was off the road for 9 months. Another owner for 3 months, then off the road for another year.

I never followed up but I saw it a year later for 3 grand needing a replacement engine....

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »

I never followed up but I saw it a year later for 3 grand needing a replacement engine....

They all do that though

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d be skeptical. Have you a link to the ad?

https://www.carsireland.ie/277

Not sure what the significance of the date is, if it means anything…

C6-FF0-CFD-5-AA3-4-B9-C-891-D-43094-A2544-AD.jpg

I can’t see much wrong, apart from drivers side seems to have been resprayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Didn't notice that date. The garage must have been the first Irish owner so. I'll find out more tomorrow. Thanks for looking at it.

I’m not sure how the date thing works on Google, unlikely garage is first owner as they’re in Laois and it’s KE reg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They all do that though

Perhaps...but the garage probably knew it was in trouble and we're trying to shift it at full price when I drove it.

The point is: trust your gut instinct. Better to be careful and miss a healthy car than take a chance and end up with a money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

User1998 wrote: »
    Theres no need to mention that a car is a UK import on an add in my opinion.

I probably wouldn’t be too bothered about the owners either. If someone imported the car to sell then thats two owners in Ireland straight away

Agreed, I purchased a car a year ago, not advertised as UK import, did a cartell check but still proceeded as a 3 month warranty being offered from non main dealer. My car had been in Ireland 3 years on Irish plates. But I would be concerned with the 2 short periods of ownership, fair enough if they were for a few months, but only a few weeks is a little concerning to be honest.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement