Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

18 or 19 diesel Tucson

Options
  • 16-06-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

I’m wondering which engine is best in these. Is there any major difference in the 2018 1.7crdi engine and the 2019 1.6crdi engine? I read that the newer engine is quieter and uses a timing belt rather than a timing chain are there any other differences?

Which would be most reliable? Also I read the pressure plate/clutch can cause issues was that ever resolved in later models? Would a 2019 model be worth the extra 3k for the newer engine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd actually say a late edition of the 1.7 engine would be a much safer bet than a 1.6, the 1.6 much like the early 1.7's are prone to all sorts of issues.

Clutches and gearboxs give trouble across the board in them, so getting one with a few years manufacturers warranty would be best, whether it be 1.6 or 1.7 the gearbox is far more likely to get you than the engine.

You want to make sure the clutch pedal is nice and light to operate, that there is no free travel in the pedal, that the bite isn't too close to the floor and that all gears are clear and easy to select. A negative to any of the above will be an issue. Manufacturers warranty will cover the gearbox and clutch hydraulics but not the disc or pressure plate.

Advertisement