Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carbon fork for a Genesis CdF

• 15-06-2021 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of the Genesis Croix de Fer owners have swapped out the steel fork for a carbon one?

I haven't fully taken to my CdF yet but wondering if dropping almost a kilo by swapping forks could help.

The Genesis one looks good, but it is 399€ so a bit much to spend on a bike I'm still unsure on. I use it for gravel and considering making it my winter road bike for group rides too.

I'd need 12mm thru axles, mudguard mounts and flat mount disc brakes which might complicate things further (although don't need any extra bag or bottle mounts). Frame is the 853 2020 model.

Is there anything else out there that I could consider? I'd even consider one of the Chinese brands (the more well known ones) but not sure about what exactly I would need

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Peeling1979

Just wondering if any of the Genesis Croix de Fer owners have swapped out the steel fork for a carbon one?

I haven't fully taken to my CdF yet but wondering if dropping almost a kilo by swapping forks could help.

The Genesis one looks good, but it is 399€ so a bit much to spend on a bike I'm still unsure on. I use it for gravel and considering making it my winter road bike for group rides too.

I'd need 12mm thru axles, mudguard mounts and flat mount disc brakes which might complicate things further (although don't need any extra bag or bottle mounts). Frame is the 853 2020 model.

Is there anything else out there that I could consider? I'd even consider one of the Chinese brands (the more well known ones) but not sure about what exactly I would need

Don’t have an exact answer but I’m part of the Genesis Croix de Fer group on Facebook and the discussion does come up there a bit so you might have some luck if you ask thereðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks, didn't know about that FB group so will take a look there

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Thanks, didn't know about that FB group so will take a look there

I had a croix de fer and like you the fork wasn’t sitting well with me
    I considered changing it
    Rode the bike before before deciding -
    Then done the sensible thing and sold it and went back to an equilibrium
    There’s more weight and lardyness in the frame than just the fork .
    So if the weight gets in the way of your riding - I wouldn’t bother up grading the fork.
    Lovely machine - but for cruising abs a little gravel in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I had a croix de fer and like you the fork wasn’t sitting well with me
    I considered changing it
    Rode the bike before before deciding -
    Then done the sensible thing and sold it and went back to an equilibrium
    There’s more weight and lardyness in the frame than just the fork .
    So if the weight gets in the way of your riding - I wouldn’t bother up grading the fork.
    Lovely machine - but for cruising abs a little gravel in my mind
    Thanks, I'd actually love a rim braked Equilibrium, & selling this has already crossed my mind but it is my first steel bike so don't want to give up on it so quickly.

I think the challenge with this is that I don't know what I want this bike to be. I have a good bike, winter bike and gravel bike, and would like this to replace either the winter, gravel or both. The issue is for a winter bike it might be a bit heavy on group rides (and I also need to decide if it is going to be a 1x or 2x set-up), and if I was upgrading my gravel I'd probably go with a faster gravel bike (something like a Canyon Grail)

Think I need to ride it a bit more and decide. I've found a possible candidate for a fork from the Facebook page suggested above, but will toss a coin on whether to set it up as a 1x or 2x and get out on it a bit over the next few weeks before deciding anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Thanks, I'd actually love a rim braked Equilibrium, & selling this has already crossed my mind but it is my first steel bike so don't want to give up on it so quickly.

I think the challenge with this is that I don't know what I want this bike to be. I have a good bike, winter bike and gravel bike, and would like this to replace either the winter, gravel or both. The issue is for a winter bike it might be a bit heavy on group rides (and I also need to decide if it is going to be a 1x or 2x set-up), and if I was upgrading my gravel I'd probably go with a faster gravel bike (something like a Canyon Grail)

Think I need to ride it a bit more and decide. I've found a possible candidate for a fork from the Facebook page suggested above, but will toss a coin on whether to set it up as a 1x or 2x and get out on it a bit over the next few weeks before deciding anything.

I’ve had a few equilibriums
    Great bikes - they really are
    The Reynolds 725 tuned is the stand out - for me .
    And as you say- rim brake

It’s my winter / wet day machine and every time I ride it I wonder why I bother with any other bike !!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement