Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth for a electric fencer.

Options
  • 14-06-2021 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Got a pel solar powered electric fencer and was wondering how many earth bars are people using and how deep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭emaherx

Dupont wrote: »
    Got a pel solar powered electric fencer and was wondering how many earth bars are people using and how deep.

For how many acres and how many joules?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

emaherx wrote: »
    For how many acres and how many joules?

It says it will cover a maximum of 8 acres and .5 joules output. At the minute I’ll be using it for 50 metres of electrified chicken net wire and I hope to get some calves on the field and was thinking of 2 strands of poly wire for that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It says it will cover a maximum of 8 acres and .5 joules output. At the minute I’ll be using it for 50 metres of electrified chicken net wire and I hope to get some calves on the field and was thinking of 2 strands of poly wire for that

For your use you describe one Earth bar would be fine.

If you were using the fence at its maximum the recommended is 3 i1 meter long earths 1 meter apart from each other.

_Brian wrote: »
    For your use you describe one Earth bar would be fine.

If you were using the fence at its maximum the recommended is 3 i1 meter long earths 1 meter apart from each other.

Will ordinary mild steel solid round bar do?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Galvanised would be best but you will get away with regular bar.

Didn’t the fencer not come with an Earth ?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Galvanised would be best but you will get away with regular bar.

Didn’t the fencer not come with an Earth ?

No just the leads to connect it to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Will ordinary mild steel solid round bar do?

The Rust that forms as a skin around the mild steel is a poor conductor of electricity so reducing the effectiveness of your earthing system creating a poor conducting barrier between the metal and the ground. Mild Steel rods should only be used as a temporary measure.

Advertisement