Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Eye Cinema due to reopen?

• 21-08-2020 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I see some of the other cinemas have reopened. Surprised the EYE hasn't opened it's doors with some basic measures in place.

Was wondering if anyone had any info on whether or not we will see it opening in the near future?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Will they be administering the vaccine at the door so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Did the eye cinema not change hands during the lockdown ? Might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd be sorry to see it close down for good. For my geekdom days it was the place to go to for the high frame rate copies of The Hobbit movies and the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special. Not sure Palas or Omniplex would be interested in that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

This is the email I was given when I contacted the cinema. agalligan@eyecinema.ie . If you have any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Wait is it closing for good? Pretty sure it’s owned by the same crowd as the G Counter and Tribeton who also haven’t opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I thought it had only changed management a little before the lockdown. had certainly changed policy on a number of things.
    So Wednesday was the only cheap day to go instead of films showing daily before 2.30 or 12.30 over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pryingEyes999

Is the Eye basically gone now? I presume its closed for good, to be turned into offices or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

flazio wrote: »
    I'd be sorry to see it close down for good.

I remember moving into Wellpark just before the Eye opened back when the Omni was a dump. Do I have that name right, what was the IMC called before? Maybe by the Eye needs a revamp and maybe go the Salthill luxury route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

According to solo check they are still functioning as a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I remember moving into Wellpark just before the Eye opened back when the Omni was a dump. Do I have that name right, what was the IMC called before? Maybe by the Eye needs a revamp and maybe go the Salthill luxury route?

Yeah there was a split in the company that led to Omniplex/IMC, so the one in town became IMC as part of the agreement.

Eye was the best but now I go to the Omniplex in Salthill. Bit of extra hassle/cost but definitely worth it.

IMC in town is fine but nowhere near as nice. The one in Oranmore is a dump, I'm surprised it's even open these days. It was great when it opened but they seem to have made zero investment in it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah there was a split in the company that led to Omniplex/IMC, so the one in town became IMC as part of the agreement.

Eye was the best but now I go to the Omniplex in Salthill. Bit of extra hassle/cost but definitely worth it.

IMC in town is fine but nowhere near as nice. The one in Oranmore is a dump, I'm surprised it's even open these days. It was great when it opened but they seem to have made zero investment in it since.

Place in oranmore was doomed from the start,
    It had a plan, pub (nightclub upstairs as well?), The amusements pool bowling and a cinema. This is all great and oranmore could have done with all these but it built it at an industrial park with zero residential nearby no bus service and well the recession hit too which was probably the nail on the coffin.

Omniplex salthill all the way worth the money but I'm IMC retail park are overcharging for what they provide as well as the extra price for screen one.
    Eye was my regular until it shut but standards were dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was beginning to show signs of age, but it's still a loss. With the pálás and the Omniplex in Salthill there is more variety now but the Eye still had a good mix of the blockbusters and the less mainstream stuff up until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Very disappointed it's gone. I could walk to the Huntsman, have a pint, watch a film and stroll home. Always preferred it over the IMC and Salthill is a car or bus journey away. And more expensive.

I'd imagine it would take a lot of work to refit that space for other uses. Is there any other cinema group that would take it on? Or maybe a small theatre/music/comedy venue?

Funny enough I came across a similar question on FB here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/whatsoningalway/permalink/1496361790712931

Can't guarantee this is legit but this may be of interest:
    I work in the Eye Cinema. As Noreena said we are looking to open towards the end of July, could be earlier. Ye just don't realise the amount of work it's going to take, it's not something that can happen overnight, it'll take weeks. Our owners want to make sure it's going to be commercially viable and that there are enough good movies out to keep the place running and the cash coming in. Also I'd say they are not risking spending thousands on stock and then we suddenly end up back in level 5. They're being very cautious! There is a lot to be done to bring the place back up to a functional business standard, unlike the other cinemas who opened when the last lockdown measures eased, we've been closed since March last year.. The building is in dire need of some maintenance and a thorough deep clean.. Just gotta wait a little longer guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Funny enough I came across a similar question on FB here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/whatsoningalway/permalink/1496361790712931

Can't guarantee this is legit but this may be of interest:

Fair point on the movies in that FB post. There hasn't been too many releases over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I met one of teh mangers a few months ago who said it wasn't closed per se. Not sure if that was this year or last,
    I have noticed that the Logo sign no longer said Eye Cinema since Eye was missing. I thought I saaw they redid teh Cinema part of taht sign a few weeks back but its still the same with teh name.

Did they change management at the beginning of last year? I noticed they stopped having the Earlybird discounts on during the daytime that had been a feature since opening. I think the person who I was talking to said the management had changed during the lockdown too.
    So wonder what it is coming back as . I liked the seats in there much better than the Omniplex but saw they redid those a few years ago.
    Would be good if there was some kind of discount time . So hope it is going to look into that.
    A season ticket would also be a good idea if it provided a decent discount.

Just hope its not going to come back as absolutely low com denom in what its choosing to show. It did cater somewhat to arthouse tastes to at times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Redkite200

Off topic slightly as not the Eye but went to the IMC (formerly 'Omniplex') on the Headford Rd.

A few observations, they could do with some ticket machines like you see in more modern cinemas for ticket collection to speed up the process of queueing.
    The checkout process is (obviously) geared towards people buying ridiculously overpriced sweets, soft drinks and popcorn but with the amount of kids movies these days that's an easy market to aim for so understandable I suppose.

The staff were friendly and professional. One minor gripe was that while watching the film we went to see in screen 6, you could in quiet parts of the movie, fairly clearly hear the sound from next door in screen 7 which was quite distracting at times.

On top of that the staff came in to check tickets of some people up the back and the staff member's hair was in the projector line so we had a silhouette of his head on screen for about 5 mins while he sorted out some issue which was a bit of a distraction to say the least, dunno what was going on but they had to come in and out 3-4 times and check a few different groups tickets and move a group of people down a couple of rows.

This is far from a rant or anything, otherwise it was a good experience, the socially distanced seating is great and the seating itself since I was there last (many moons ago!) seems to be have greatly improved, the toilets were all clean, lots of sanitizer and so on. The trailers didn't go on infinitely, the film we went to see came on I'd say less than 10 mins from the advertised start time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Is it curtains for the EYE? It was the best cinema in town imo. There hasn't been a peep outta them since they shut shop in March 2020.

Salthill is handy for me but €14 is a pricey ticket, even if the seats are pretty comfy. Is there any cinema doing midweek deals?

Are there no late night shows anywhere at the weekend? Tis a pity...would be a handy place for a bag of cans after the pubs close 😃

Post edited by biko on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I was in traffic on the Dublin Rd outside it and I could see people inside it last week in the section upstairs after where you hand in your ticket. Hopefully they are cleaning it up for reopening as there are a lot of films out in last quarter this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Roscommon cinema does an offer medium coke, popcorn, and ticket for ten euro

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭sphinx501

I am looking for a dash cam install in a Tiguan, is there any recommendations for anyone doing this in the North Dublin area?

Halfords offer the service, however I have not heard of any recent experiences from anyone and if they would do a full install i.e. hidden cables completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

There has been a similar post here.Before the crash of the site,so anyones guess where it is now.I have installed my own in 2 cars.It's easy just with front screen if the trim is "loose".Rear camera -more trim,more effort.Plastic tool supplied with dash cam.The A pillar will be the hardest part for you.Maybe you have some plastic kitchen utensils to lift the plastic trim a little-nothing with sharp edges-if they slip and cut you or break the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Before COVID, they were briefly in administration, and taken over by the Omniplex Group, but i think that was reveresed.

They website is still live, so at least they are still paying the hosting charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭handpref

Can’t pm ya but Greg Phillips auto & audio comes recommended. He was mentioned in one of the missing threads at one stage, quality work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

It was the imc group if I recall

Here's the last thread on this: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117452292#Comment_117452292

Man, the new site is terrible. I couldn't easily search just this sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old and new threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

I think there might be sign of life for the Eye. I noticed that they have this info on top of their website saying: 'We would like to thank all of our customers for their continued patience and support. We are proud to share that the EYE Cinema will be reopening this Autumn. Please check back soon for confirmed dates.' Maybe this was there last year too but I never noticed it.

Also, they have now a few 'No time to Die' showings listed from 30.09. on their website which seems to be a good sign.

Advertisement