Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing conservatory roof - worth it??

Options
  • 08-06-2021 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I have a conservatory (the kind with the glass/ clear plastic roof). It's a waste of space at the moment - freezing in the winter and can get very warm in summer so we basically just use it for storage. We'd like to tear it down in a few years as part of a bigger renovation/extension project. In the meantime we could really do with the extra living space. I've seen companies that will replace a conservatory roof with lightweight roof panels. Does anybody have experience with this type of thing? Are they worth it? Would it be worth putting some kind of insulation into the roof/ceiling ourselves? We are competent DIYers. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

One of our neighbours had it done a while ago & said they use it all the time now & it's a very comfortable room. Don't know what company they used but the builders were only there for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

will it darken any rooms in the original house if you roof it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

will it darken any rooms in the original house if you roof it

That's a good point but I don't think so. It's on the north-east side of the house and a large window in the dining area was replaced with a partially glazed door to access the sun room. It was a bad decision IMO (done by previous owners) because it's left the dining area very dark. Not sure that losing roof light in the sun room would make a huge difference. I might try covering over the glazing in the door to get a better sense of that though. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I have a conservatory (the kind with the glass/ clear plastic roof). It's a waste of space at the moment - freezing in the winter and can get very warm in summer so we basically just use it for storage. We'd like to tear it down in a few years as part of a bigger renovation/extension project. In the meantime we could really do with the extra living space. I've seen companies that will replace a conservatory roof with lightweight roof panels. Does anybody have experience with this type of thing? Are they worth it? Would it be worth putting some kind of insulation into the roof/ceiling ourselves? We are competent DIYers. Thanks

There are a few issues here, to be considered.
    The original design of the conservatory was to support the weight of the Polycarbonate roof. A lot of co's to keep it cheap and cheerful used 18mm Poly, you might as well, have no roof at all.
    So will the walls, foundations etc, support the weight of the new roof, Tiles, Insulation and ceiling.
    Look at the side windows, do they have vertical support between each window opening, or is it just one big window, with top openings, you should see a thin pvc cover between each section, if not the only support is at the corners, and the weight may make it bulge out.

Originally if under 25 SqM, the conservatory would have been exempt from Building Regulations, now if you convert it to a Sunroom, that may no longer be the case, in that event you might need Cert's to confirm the room complies with Building Reg's, perhaps one of the Arch's or Engineers, on here can comment on that

Good luck in any event

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

Did you go ahead with insulating the roof in the end? Would you recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

We didn’t. The whole room is subsiding so we’ve opted to knock it altogether

Advertisement