Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do Job wise?

Options
  • 14-06-2021 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all

need some advice or a bit of direction if thats okay would be great to hear others opinions, Basically male 22, Jobless, not in college since 2020, Wouldnt be the brightest done LCA, went into two plcs in IT programming qqi5 failed because of maths done very well bar maths, qqi6 passed done fairly good mostly distinctions, Then covid hit i deferred my college year application and since then i just know i wouldnt be able to do it i have lost total interest in the course and computers in general(I could re apply for next year but don’t think it’s the best idea). I have been looking at apprenticeships especially the electrician i built a few computers in my time done some car stereos too, and i have done about a years in total in the construction industry mainly a laborer very hard work, doing all the dog work, carrying cement, cleaning etc. I didn’t like it but didn’t hate it either the pay check was my motivator not the best motivator though, I do have connections in the brickwork sector and could get an apprenticeship but i’m not sure i could handle 4 years of that especially for the first two years the money is not the best, and ideally i’d love to try and be in the garda in around 2/3 years time kind of looking for something around 2/3 years that would tie me over if that makes sense?My long term goal would be to join the Gards and i would want to do that in the next 3 years or so this has never changed over the years and i really do want to give it a go. I’m kinda worried about the electrician as i’m not the best with maths at all, plus i’ve never had any particular experience of course in around the sites i’ve seen what they do and it does look the best of the trades in my opinion, looks a lot more mentally harder then physical which i would like. I’m a bit in crossroads do i apply for the garda and try my luck (later this year) or go for the bricklaying which i could get a apprenticeship have no experience in actual brick work or go and try and find somewhere that would take me on for an electrician apprentice i just hate being in new waters and i know what the construction sector is like very toxic and asking for help i just would feel a bit useless if anyone gets me? with the labouring it was all easy physical work didn’t need to ask what to do most of the time. Most of my interests aren’t job worth bar some hunting the Irish army would be a shout but the 5 years contract really puts me off it, plus conditions are not the best. Another ambition was to go to the uk before trying the garda and i suppose any apprenticeship would be recognized anywhere another pro for apprenticeship
    I suppose it would be nice to have something to fall back on if the gards wasn’t what i thought it would be like, plus it’s a long process and a lot of people apply. I seen a few threads like my situation and thought i would register if anyone could give me some advice or recommend anything that would be great, I’m just lost in a endless cycle at the moment waking up doing the same thing every day it cracks you up slowly.
    sorry for the long post

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I can't really see the logic of doing everything else but trying to join the Garda if that is what you want to do....

That said, the joining qualifications listed on their site are the minimum and with competition the actual qualifications of those accepted are probably higher. But if you don't try you'll never know.

Your post seems to suggest that you have a big problem with commitment and hard work to achieve anything, so I don't know if you'll have what it takes to get through the course and qualify... For example, Guards are responsible for prosecuting people in the lower courts, that means they are up against legal professionals and they need to have a sufficient command of the law to take on the professionals, so there is a lot of hard exacting study needed as well as physical program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sageexcel

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I can't really see the logic of doing everything else but trying to join the Garda if that is what you want to do....

That said, the joining qualifications listed on their site are the minimum and with competition the actual qualifications of those accepted are probably higher. But if you don't try you'll never know.

Your post seems to suggest that you have a big problem with commitment and hard work to achieve anything, so I don't know if you'll have what it takes to get through the course and qualify... For example, Guards are responsible for prosecuting people in the lower courts, that means they are up against legal professionals and they need to have a sufficient command of the law to take on the professionals, so there is a lot of hard exacting study needed as well as physical program.

cheers for the reply,

i wouldn’t say i have much of a problem with commitment as such but it’s more of a if i don’t like something could be anything I wont put 100 of my energy to focus on it ( if i like somthing i’ll go 100 percent but if i don’t i won’t put much into it) I had a big lifestyle change if that makes sense to lose my passion in computers i know it may sound a bit strange but i lost over 90lbs of weight and started eating healthier, Picked up sports, gym all that and when that happened slowly my interest in the computers fell off. I do agree the garda would be hard especially the learning, Looking back i would have went into the normal leaving cert as my grades in the junior weren’t bad at all it was morely for stress and anxiety around the leaving cert and the exams thats why i went for the LCA option.
    with the construction id love a job that j could wake up in the morning and be actually liking to go to work, not that i hated construction but the work was physically demanding and when i done construction all my hobbies such as the gym, running i couldn’t as much as i would like to, and it does hurt since that became such a part of me, I know the garda shifts are over the place(nights etc) waking up at 5:30am back at home at 5:30pm it was just a bit much and being treated like a dog wasn’t the best feeling and not much satisfaction when completing the job.
    ( also like to add that i know a lot of people hate there jobs and still get through them but i do feel like the construction especially laboring is a bit different then most, ran to the dogs, working in the p#ssing rain, bad pay etc not a excuse really but there a lot of cons, Didnt stop working but there is no work for me at the moment another con too)
    you do raise valid points and i thank you for that, The only hesitation i have with applying with the garda is that if i have that experience with life i do feel like it’s a career i’ll stay with (i’ll only know once i try for it) i’m just a bit worried that i wont have that time to “live” a little before i go into the garda such as traveling to the uk for a few months working stuff like that if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DarceyEllie

you are still v young and its good to stop and take stock of what you want in life. I would look into the electrician apprentice. You seem to be technically minded so play to your strengths. I would view the Gardaí as a long term plan as who knows when the next campaign will arise and there is no guarantee you will get it first time. Those campaigns can also be a long process. Would you think about joining the Gardaí reserves in your spare time?

Sageexcel wrote: »
    The only hesitation i have with applying with the garda is that if i have that experience with life i do feel like it’s a career i’ll stay with (i’ll only know once i try for it) i’m just a bit worried that i wont have that time to “live” a little before i go into the garda such as traveling to the uk for a few months working stuff like that if you get me?

Well the fist thing you should do is ensure that you have all the qualifications necessary to apply for the Garda? Can you work in two languages as required, have the min LC requirements and then some. Do you have sports and hobbies that would be acceptable on an application and so on.

If not get working on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Maybe focus on the here and now- That being you have to work to earn money , so take on a job that you can to keep yourself in pocket.

If you know yourself you don't wanna do it allow it be a stop gap until you get the pocess for the Garda up and running. As far as I know they don't hire as often as they once did so a Job in between now and then would be beneficial as you have no idea you could be stood on the sidelines waiting for it.

Sparking is a handy enough trade compared to physical labour of a bricky, which you are essentially a labourer for 10 months. Electricians apprentice is mainly fetching cable from stores, second fixing rooms after the electrician HaS went in and first fixed. Its also not Diry work so if you can land it with a reputable company do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi OP

it's good that your trying to figure out your options and you have a few ideas.. dont let your past academic grades dictate your plans too much.. I did brutal in school and managed to get very advanced qualifications in the end.. I also did two years of an apprenticeship in between so I like that you are considering one also..

you appear to be toying with just two different apprenticeships.. brickie and sparks, you should look at others too lift engineering.. loads of money, refrigeration engineer, plumbing, plastering..

if you do qualify as a Garda the money is quite poor it would be helpful to have a trade and do nixers

you're young.. you have plenty of time, dont worry about 2 years of low wages.. it's a very short time really, getting a qualification and a job you enjoy is key. best of luck

If your long-term goal is joining the gardai, join the garda reserve now.
    It will give you the inside info and you will soon know if it's for you or not.

Irish army would be a shout but the 5 years contract really puts me off it

Maybe consider the MPs and then move to Garda…

Advertisement