Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mower recommendations

• 13-06-2021 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Whats the best side mounted 8ft disc mower out there for reliability. Any 1 know prices for new machines?
    Any makes to run a mile from?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

brianb243 wrote: »
    Whats the best side mounted 8ft disc mower out there for reliability. Any 1 know prices for new machines?
    Any makes to run a mile from?
    TIA

I have a 9ft kverneland here. Tis grand. Have it 5 years now. No problems ever with it. Friend bought a new one of them this season, think he said €8,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

have worked kevenderland,kuhn,krone mowers over the past few years and couldn't fault them,€8000-€9000 will buy them..claas are also very good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Krone 8ft price about the same as above, no issues. Kuhn would also have a good name. You have a whole number of models and brands, most with a Comer bed, which come at a lower price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Krone 8ft mower here. Purchased Dec 2019 @ €8K. Well engineered mower and no faults after 200 acres. Also considered a Claas, Kuhn, and Keverneland. Do a search on here as there are several threads discussing the pro's and cons of various makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Ive a 8ft krone conditioner for the last 9 or 10 years. No bother with it bar one of the seals went in the gearbox . Grass got wrapped around the shaft and ate the seal .
    If i had more of a choice at tge time i would have bought a kuhn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’m hoping to buy an 8 foot mower/topper. I’m trying to farm 70 acres of grass. Should I go new or second hand. I hate spending money on machines but also hate paying lads! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭older by the day

I’m hoping to buy an 8 foot mower/topper. I’m trying to farm 70 acres of grass. Should I go new or second hand. I hate spending money on machines but also hate paying lads! Thanks

I got a second hand 8 ft krone, 3500 Euro , 3 years ago. In good condition. I cut a bit for bales and top the level fields. I couldn't justify paying 9k. At 25 Euro an acre for mowing it would take 360 acres. To pay for its self letting out tractor costs and labour and time. But it's your money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

i bought a 4 year old 10ft HD kuhn for €5500 there 2 season ago,it was off a racecourse and only used for light topped on dead flat ground so was in perfect condition,.same machine new is €10000+.good clean 8ft mowers can be hard got because they are usually only changed when they are wore out...i know claas are doing finance packages on grass equipment at the moment that leave buying a new machine very attractive..like, for example 5 year at less than 1% fixed interest..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

:D I bought a brand new claas 5 foot 6 drum mower years ago for 1500 .... mow about 20acres a year....granted it's a very slow proposition if you intend to do more than 10 acres at a time but I reckon its well paid for itself at this stage. It's a pity you can't seem to get wider ones, does a great job in my mind. If you could front mount one I'd nearly consider doubling up:D

Had to get a lad to come and mow 14 acres a couple of years back and it cost me the guys of 450 euros so that put things in perspective for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭148multi

The kuhns are a good mower but inclined to block with grass, have to over rev to get the grass through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

amacca wrote: »
    :D I bought a brand new claas 5 foot 6 drum mower years ago for 1500 .... mow about 20acres a year....granted it's a very slow proposition if you intend to do more than 10 acres at a time but I reckon its well paid for itself at this stage. It's a pity you can't seem to get wider ones, does a great job in my mind. If you could front mount one I'd nearly consider doubling up:D

Had to get a lad to come and mow 14 acres a couple of years back and it cost me the guys of 450 euros so that put things in perspective for me!

Jaysus I'd love to get that kind of money for mowing. €20 an acre here is the most you'll get

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

amacca wrote: »

14a x €20 is not €450

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

14a x €20 is not €450

I think the price of buying and running machinery is different in everyone's head!
    How many acres do you need to cut to justify a mower, plus the tractor, diesel and time?
    In our house they would nearly kick me out when I mention those type things to the brother or father! If mowers were made of gold they would still want one to cut our few acres for the loss making sucklers to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Bullocks wrote: »
    I think the price of buying and running machinery is different in everyone's head!
    How many acres do you need to cut to justify a mower, plus the tractor, diesel and time?
    In our house they would nearly kick me out when I mention those type things to the brother or father! If mowers were made of gold they would still want one to cut our few acres for the loss making sucklers to eat.

Going rate is still €20 an acre to mow .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do New Holland make their own mowers, or is it rebadged.

Do New Holland make their own mowers, or is it rebadged.

They were kongskilde and CNH bought that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭amacca

14a x €20 is not €450

By way of explanation

Looked back, 438. The lad travelled about 10k to and from, I won't lie it stung a bit but I couldn't do it and I needed it at short notice and there were a couple of lads local that woukd promise the sun moon and stars but it would be getting done just in time to bale it in the rain.... the priority was getting it done, if I went in too hard at the start I'd be waiting. I got the feeling I was being fitted in as it was and more of an inconvenience than anything.

It was either go that way or run the risk of having approx 180 bales of ****e.

But I suppose even at 280 I still think my cheap old fashioned drum mower more than earns it's keep....even with time, maintenance and diesel taken into account.

On the economics of a mower. I bought one simply because not having one used to prevent me making good quality silage.
    It is €20 + VAT for mowing. At 5 bales to the acre that is €4.50 per bale. I used to end up letting it get heavier to get value out of the mowing. After I bought it I have often mowed at 3 bales to the acre on paddocks and have far better silage. How heavy the crop is now makes no difference to contractor charges as he is only paid by the bqle and none of the work is by the acre. I wouldn't be without a mower again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Grueller wrote: »
    On the economics of a mower. I bought one simply because not having one used to prevent me making good quality silage.
    It is €20 + VAT for mowing. At 5 bales to the acre that is €4.50 per bale. I used to end up letting it get heavier to get value out of the mowing. After I bought it I have often mowed at 3 bales to the acre on paddocks and have far better silage. How heavy the crop is now makes no difference to contractor charges as he is only paid by the bqle and none of the work is by the acre. I wouldn't be without a mower again.

Very good point. some items on a farm wouldn't wash their face if one did a simply accounting analysis. Another item not used often on a lot of farms is a cowbox but not having one is a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Grueller wrote: »
    They were kongskilde and CNH bought that brand.
    They were originally JF as they were taken over by Kongskilde first. I have an 8 foot JF conditioner mower that was bought new in 2009. I had to get some blade holders for it last year and they came in the new Holland colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Dunedin

What’s the opinions on Kuhn, krone or kbernerland mowers. Looking at 8 or 9 foot mounted.

own use only and mixture of mowing and topping.

Advertisement