Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vrt Ireland

• 14-06-2021 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there. I bought a car in Northern Ireland in May 2019. Having bought the car shortly afterwards I realised I could not insure it as Irish insurance companies would not quote me. So I parked the car in my shed at home. I received the export sheet (front of v5) on May 29th 2019.
    Sometime later I was talking to a friend and they informed me of the vrt penalties which I calculated to be 2400 due over the last 2 years as the OMSP on my vehicle is €2000. Ontop of this I am faced with paying the €890 to vrt the vehicle.
    Today I am badly stuck as to what to do. The car would not have done 50 miles in the past 2 years. This 50 miles was clocked driving the car home from Northern Ireland.
    Anybody got any idea as to where I stand or whether I will just have to pay the penalty or is there a way around it ? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I assume the person who sold it to you declared it exported, so they are no longer for liable for road tax etc? From memory they tear off the section from the V5 and post that. Selling it back in the north will require some sort of reregisteration.
    If there is a liability here of €2400 and it's only worth €2000 then logic would say your better off scraping it for parts. They are strict on the 30 day limit and taxing it from date of import. It's just revenue to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Monte123

njburke wrote: »
    I assume the person who sold it to you declared it exported, so they are no longer for liable for road tax etc? From memory they tear off the section from the V5 and post that. Selling it back in the north will require some sort of reregisteration.
    If there is a liability here of €2400 and it's only worth €2000 then logic would say your better off scraping it for parts. They are strict on the 30 day limit and taxing it from date of import. It's just revenue to them.

Yes I believe so. I’ve tried to phone the dvla in Swansea to try and re register the car with a friend in the north so I can get a new v5 and then book a new vrt appointment to avoid paying the penalty after change of ownership back to south. I don’t know if this is the right way around it. Scrap is out of the question. Revenue have it valued at 2k however cars are fetching up to 7k now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you can check on the DVLA site if it's been marked as exported. If it has, you'd have to go through the re-registration process in the North which would entail taking it back for possible inspection and MoTing it.

I'm a bit confused about your friends figures and how he got them. If it's worth 7k there's no way they'd have an OMSP of 2k on it. Do Revenue actually know you have it?

Advertisement