Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing from county to ZV reg

Options
  • 23-05-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Ladies/gents,

Asking this question as there is no classic motorcycles forum around here just the general thread.

VRT’d a classic bike last year, went with 86-C-400**

Tried changing it to ZV and I’m getting the run around.

NCT say Revenue

Revenue say NCT VRT registration department

VRT dept say Revenue.

At a loss

Comments

It's Revenue. You need a VRT35 form.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Do u need to change to ZV when it goes classic, to get the cheap Road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Do u need to change to ZV when it goes classic, to get the cheap Road tax?

No, once the car is 30 years old, based on date of registration, you can get the car reclassed as vintage at your local motor tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

gipi wrote: »
    No, once the car is 30 years old, based on date of registration, you can get the car reclassed as vintage at your local motor tax office.

by post at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

gipi wrote: »

Its based on date of manufacture, which may be a few months earlier than date of registration, if you can prove it etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

zg3409 wrote: »
    Its based on date of manufacture, which may be a few months earlier than date of registration, if you can prove it etc

Tried thatlast year on my 944 turbo .had date of manufacture from porsche,certificate of authenticity.Tax office refused ,they said date of first reg.So thats coming up n a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I got both my 88 S124 and 90 W126 changed to vintage during the first week of the year. Both were registered on August 1st of that year. It depends on the county you live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

w124man wrote: »
    I got both my 88 S124 and 90 W126 changed to vintage during the first week of the year. Both were registered on August 1st of that year. It depends on the county you live in.

It should make no difference what county your in .motor tax is the same throught the country

turbocab wrote: »
    It should make no difference what county your in .motor tax is the same throught the country

well it always was the case if you met the right person you could get some leeway in person sometimes. I twice taxed cars as vintage in the January of the year in which they became 30, but I do believe the intention is that it was supposed to be the anniversary of 1st registration.

@W124man was that over the counter or by post?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Indeed you are right it SHOULD make no difference what county you're in but the reality is that different motor tax offices apply different criteria to various things such as this. Another common variation is in the requirements applied for taxing a commercial vehicle.

• Advertisement

Its glaringly obvious that it isnt the same throughout the country.
    Isambard wrote: »

@W124man was that over the counter or by post?

Over the counter before Covid obviously. Once they got clearance from Shannon the changes were made to the logbook. Takes about 25 minutes.

Its glaringly obvious that it isnt the same throughout the country.

Over the counter before Covid obviously. Once they got clearance from Shannon the changes were made to the logbook. Takes about 25 minutes.

yes, i don't think it would happen by post.

Isambard wrote: »
    yes, i don't think it would happen by post.

Im a firm believer in sitting opposite a person you are dealing with. This goes with insurance as well as taxing the car. If you are looking for something a bit different, a letter or a phone call is too anonymous and too easy for them to go into auto pilot and not care. Be nice and friendly and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Im a firm believer in sitting opposite a person you are dealing with. This goes with insurance as well as taxing the car. If you are looking for something a bit different, a letter or a phone call is too anonymous and too easy for them to go into auto pilot and not care. Be nice and friendly and see what happens!

Couldn't agree more, especially with classic insurance.

Advertisement