Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Leo casually mentions conversation with amazon having a presence in Shannon again. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40302962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Looks like LTSL is officially up for sale. Apparently the aircraft they service can be done more efficiently (cheaper) in other LHT facilities. Atlantic aviation interested in purchasing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Looks like LTSL is officially up for sale. Apparently the aircraft they service can be done more efficiently (cheaper) in other LHT facilities. Atlantic aviation interested in purchasing....

That luft out near motorway?

lab man wrote: »
    That luft out near motorway?

No, Shannon aerospace by the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I thought that was only the wing department/engine department. i thought the spraying/ painting was supposed to be safe.
    that was always going to be the way, cheaper wages in other eastern european countries. like the time dell moved as well for cheaper labour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I thought that was only the wing department/engine department. i thought the spraying/ painting was supposed to be safe.
    that was always going to be the way, cheaper wages in other eastern european countries. like the time dell moved as well for cheaper labour.
    Lufthansa Technik in Shannon isn't a paint shop. They do major maintenance checks on aircraft.

Lufthansa Technik in Shannon isn't a paint shop. They do major maintenance checks on aircraft.

sorry brain fart there, i was thinking of other places, all the name changes put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Looks like LTSL is officially up for sale.

I can't find anything online, do you have a link?

Shannon - Commercial Movements (IAA)

|Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sept|Oct|Nov|Dec|Total
    2015|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2016|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2017|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2018|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2019|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    2020|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |_7,229
    2021|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ||||||||
    Change|-72.7%|-65.8%|-63.9%|-74.5%|-76.7%|||||||

The 2021 figures from March onwards are compared with the corresponding month in 2019.

Actually Lufthansa Technik had a paint hangar.

As far as I know they took it over from Aer Rianta International.

Then there was a management buyout that created Eirtech Aviation.

They in turn were acquired by IAC and who expanded and built a second paint hangar.

555640.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Lufthansa Technic has the hangar to the left of that picture.
    That hangar is used by IAC now.

AnRothar wrote: »
    Lufthansa Technic has the hangar to the left of that picture.
    That hangar is used by IAC now.

I was referring to the Paint Hangar (H6) and a history of its owners that painted there (ARI ==> Lufthansa Technik ==> Eirtech Aviation ==> IAC)

You are referring to the former Aer Lingus Maintenance Hangar (H5) which Lufthansa Technik uses today but for what I don’t know. Transaero had it too for a while with plans to recycle aeroplanes.

Its no wonder JamesBond2010 would get confused with all the Lufthansa Technik enterprises at Shannon over the years. ;)

I can't find anything online, do you have a link?

No link as such, but their employees received a memo from their CEO yesterday informing them of interest from Atlantic aviation, and that a sale of the company was probably top of a list of three preferences regarding the future of the operation, as being considered by bosses in Germany. Decision on their future is due some time in July apparently. Quite disappointing to see LHT considering this action. They've been a good employer since the 90s, but I understand they are really trying to streamline their operations and that includes ALL their subsidiaries including those in Germany. Another victim of the pandemic.....

No link as such, but their employees received a memo from their CEO yesterday informing them of interest from Atlantic aviation, and that a sale of the company was probably top of a list of three preferences regarding the future of the operation, as being considered by bosses in Germany. Decision on their future is due some time in July apparently. Quite disappointing to see LHT considering this action. They've been a good employer since the 90s, but I understand they are really trying to streamline their operations and that includes ALL their subsidiaries including those in Germany. Another victim of the pandemic.....

Its only a matter of time as well before the Eastern European countries wages rise to the same as Ireland & Germany. Where will they move then. ?? One of the lads was telling me he gets tired of flying to the countries just to work for a few wks & then come back home again part of his new contract though can move him around where there is business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Aer Lingus Regional in it's current form (Stobart) has been liquidated. Will leave a few gaps at Shannon to be filled when things return to some form of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Aer Lingus Regional in it's current form (Stobart) has been liquidated. Will leave a few gaps at Shannon to be filled when things return to some form of normality.

Number of players in the field dwindling fast. Gonna be a lot of airports knocking on doors of Emerald Airways ... despite being an airline with no planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Ryanair schedule picking up from July 1st with a few routes returning aswell as STN going 7 days.

Any chance in 2022 of a reset button for the Edinburgh and Birmingham routes is now gone.

I don't see Michael O'Leary getting involved in 2022 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Any chance in 2022 of a reset button for the Edinburgh and Birmingham routes is now gone.

I don't see Michael O'Leary getting involved in 2022 either.

Aer Lingus are finished in Shannon. There will be no reset on this. Barring a diversion that can't make Dublin or Cork we won't see an EI aircraft here for years.

IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

These regional routes have a way of surprising us, i wouldn't be entirely sure they won't come back in some shape or form under some operator by the end of 2022.

• Advertisement

Aer Lingus are finished in Shannon. There will be no reset on this. Barring a diversion that can't make Dublin or Cork we won't see an EI aircraft here for years.

IMO of course.

Are you sure of this? I got told by SNN that EI are definitely returning but Sept earliest. SNN LHR schedule got updated this week to what looks like a return from Sept 13th by DUB based crew. SNN also said TA flights would return!?

Also really feel for the Shannon based EI crew. Credit to the airline and such great service and help from them when i flew pre Covid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is now a massive gap in the market for a UK/Ireland regional airline now that Flybe and Stobart are gone bust. Clear route viability but Flybe had a hangover from poor management in the last few years and Stobart had all the EI contract stuff plus both were affected by the pandemic.

Clear number of routes viable from regional airports around the islands. Nice efficient ATRs or lesser so Dash 8s. No buying gas guzzling E195s and running them down to the Mediterranean.

Avgeek2101 wrote: »
    Are you sure of this? I got told by SNN that EI are definitely returning but Sept earliest. SNN LHR schedule got updated this week to what looks like a return from Sept 13th by DUB based crew. SNN also said TA flights would return!?

Also really feel for the Shannon based EI crew. Credit to the airline and such great service and help from them when i flew pre Covid.

If they did it would be manchester- Snn -Boston or something along the lines like that
    They would only stop for a pick up along the way as one of the mangers said in passing they dont know anything anyway till later in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

Avgeek2101 wrote: »

I would expect that if they are to come back this year it would surely coincide with Cork -LHR being stopped for a period from September?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Tiernster7

Was told a while ago that airport were particularly keen for Ryanair to fill Edinburgh/Glasgow route and that chances of success were promising enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

LHR has been changed for mid September return, 2 daily some days

Daily

EI386 SNN 1700 LHR 1820
    EI385 LHR 1445 SNN 1610

Th/Fri/Sun/Mon

EI387 LHR 1910 SNN 2030
    EI388 SNN 2120 LHR 2235

More than 500 jobs at risk at Lufthansa’s Shannon base (Business Post)

Lufthansa Technik, the aircraft maintenance and repair business, is carrying out a strategic review of its Shannon operations which could result in the business being sold or closed down, the Business Post can reveal.

The German firm employs over 500 people at its Shannon facility, making it one of the largest employers in the midwest region.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

LHR has been changed for mid September return, 2 daily some days

Daily

EI386 SNN 1700 LHR 1820
    EI385 LHR 1445 SNN 1610

Th/Fri/Sun/Mon

EI387 LHR 1910 SNN 2030
    EI388 SNN 2120 LHR 2235

Utterly useless to any business traveller

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Its Shannon sure u hardly think they are going to put on a good time for it.they can complain then there is no demand for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ctlsleh wrote: »

Would expect a morning A321 NEO to follow but they might delay that until winter.

The schedule looks identical to what was proposed in 2019 just the Neo rotation is missing.

Advertisement