Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

If you're seriously suggesting that a) Ryanair will be flying to LHR and b) that is somehow useful for business travellers - you're dreaming. I and many business travellers need to fly VIA LHR not TO LHR. Since RA are point to point only they are useless to me and I will have to continue driving to Dublin.

I suppose it's actually more likely they are going to announce an AMS route though? Still no use to most business travellers due to the point to point issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Masala

Amsterdam with Ryanair.....Interesting....

didn't think they would pay the Schipol charges unless they had an agenda. KLM about of Cork is a better option especially as they code share.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Tiernster7

Certainly a North Europe route missing from a Ryanair SNN perspective. Would have guessed Charleroi or one of the German airports more likely.

Re business travellers Id say short term that is not the biggest target area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You can think I'm dreaming but let's revisit this shortly.

• Advertisement

Oh god. Aer Lingus wont be back then will they if FR start LHR?

the only reason they are prob back is cause cork is closed while they are doing the runway,if cork wasnt closed they prob wouldnt have come back till early next year.

I know. If FR are really starting LHR they probably wont be back at all now next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm having a hard time believing Ryanair will go for Heathrow, the operating costs are much higher and this isn't a route anyone is crying out for. That and there's not been a word about Ryanair have acquired any Heathrow slots.

If they are starting at Heathrow, why would they start with a route like Shannon?

If they do, why bother, if they'll just remove the route again a year or two down the line?

Ryanair into Heathrow!!!!!!.... is like an old quote from Don Henley of The Eagles on a possibility of a band re-union :

...'when Hell freezes over' !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Ryanair have no flights to or from LHR to anywhere……..so it’s highly, highly unlikely that we’re they ever to get LHR slots that Shannon would be top of their agenda of places to fly to and from!!

Was told earlier that I was passed incorrect information re FR and LHR. Apologies folks.

Speculating obviously but it looks like airport mgmt have put a lot of their post covid renewal plan in the hands of Ryanair.

Where do people think things go from here,

My money would be on facilitating Ryanair to grow, AL withdraw all services they are not politically locked in to and the airport tries to make a deal similar to the Ryanair one with a transatlantic carrier who may then reduce their Dublin routes for exclusively in the west of Ireland.

Business travel, especially that which requires heavy connectivity is the area they may cut loose for a while and I don't disagree much with that strategy.

I know from family and friend circle that new Ryanair (old AL regional) routes in Birmingham and Edinburgh are cheaper and at better times then previous offering and probably an example of Ryanair doing what the airport needs quickly.

SNN has been here before with allowing its self get into bed with Ryanair and thinking that they were best buddies.

.... so let’s see

To get back into bed with Ryanair, is extremely short sighted. Shannon Airport has a long history with Ryanair, a history which seemingly just repeats itself over and over again. Ryanair get a great deal, start loads of routes, deal comes to an end and all the routes are gone. If Shannon pursues this strategy again, its own management will be responsible for it's demise.

No surprise that the Ryanair to Heathrow information was false, I struggle to see how anyone with any knowledge of the aviation business in IRL/UK would even entertain the idea.

I cannot see how the Ryanair flights are more convenient or at better times than the Aer Lingus regional flights, 1x weekly to Birmingham and 2x weekly to Edinburgh! Hardly much use to many.

The US routes will be the real test here, will they return next year? American Airlines had wanted a 787 on the Philadelphia route this year before it became apparent travelling would remain highly restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

100% agree. Ryanair shafted Shannon royally previously - they use Shannon as a pawn in negotiations with DAA and this occasion is the same thing I'd bet. The deals will end and RA will stamp their feet to get a better deal and then leave is my prediction.

And I cannot understand how anyone could consider that the RA flights to BHX and EDI are better than what were there previously! It's gone from 6x flights a week for EDI for instance, to 2x weekly. If I wanted to go to EDI area for business the flights are totally useless. Ditto BHX, 2x flights a week and wrong days to be of any use for business visit.

As to the LHR RA suggestion -... I was joking when I suggested it in a previous post, bit speechless with what transpired since then 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd suggest that the twice weekly FR flights to EDI and BHX are better than the zero fights to EDI or BHX provided by EI. EI don't want to be in SNN, so I wouldn't be expecting them back anytime soon.

2x weekly are better than nothing, for sure, but they do not offer the same level of connectivity as daily/6x weekly flights.

And are they really much better, when odds are they'll be gone by 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

Be long time waiting for those scumbags Aer lingus to come back. Better chance of winning the lotto.

• Advertisement

They are offering something in the routes early. If they do OK I'm sure they ll increase schedule. They are definitely cheaper too.

A halfwit could have told you you were misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Common Diversion Airport

Flight diverts to Shannon with ill passenger (Clare Herald)

A transatlantic flight has diverted to Shannon Airport this afternoon after they crew reported they had a passenger on board who required medical attention.

Delta Air Lines flight DL-265 was travelling from Paris to New York and was about 700 kilometres south west of Ireland when the crew opted to turn around.

The crew made contact with air traffic controllers at the Irish Aviation Authority’s North Atlantic Communications Centre at Ballygirreen in Co Clare and requested clearance to divert to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Not necessarily, contrary to what is often posted here most of the general population are clueless regarding aviation.

If someone who is supposedly in the know says something them most people will take it at face value as they often have nothing to compare it against.

Well considering it came from people involved in airport operations I took them at their word. Simple to misread an email.

Hi all,

Flying in Spain from Shannon with 2 very small children who've never or wouldn't remember flying.

Could anyone in airport advise on the best vantage point and time to see a few planes take off and land

There is a viewing area upstairs but im not sure if its open. There is a good view there

Thanks anywhere outside airport you would recommend

The recommended viewing area is beside the Lufthansa hangar, it's directly beside the runway so good views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Some more good news although the outgoing flight time is not great

[q]SHANNON Airport is to be connected to London Heathrow airport again later this month.

From Monday, September 13, a link between Shannon and the British hub airport will be provided seven days a week.

Between Monday and Friday and Sunday, Aer Lingus will fly from Heathrow to Shannon at 2.45pm.

Each day, a journey back to London will take place at 5pm.

On Saturday, this service departs at 2:20pm from Heathrow.[/q]

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/660606/shannon-airport-issue-update-on-london-heathrow-service.html

Advertisement