Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of metallic paint

• 13-06-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭

Can someone answer a curiosity for me? Why does metallic paint cost so much on a new car compared to non-metallic. I appreciate there are additional ingredients, for want of a better word, but surely it's the same process in the spray booth, it costs no more to ship the vehicle in the end and no additional duty applicable

Is it just a sales thing given more people prefer metallic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

simply extra layers of paint and laquer are needed for the finish, hence the extra cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Also, it’s a handy way of getting an extra few quid from the customer while keeping the base cost of the car down.
    The actual cost of production is small, but there are additional materials used. vw for example are charging €800 for it these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭POBox19

Metallic is a better paint and does not fade the way plain paints do. IMHO it is worth the extra as the car will look a lot better as it ages over a plain one. Just look at an old red car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

It's much the as the dealer charging "delivery charges" of 750 euro. It doesn't cost the dealer 750 euro to deliver the car to them from the port and prepare for the customer, there's good profit built in.

The dealer hardly expects the customer to collect the car off the boat in Cork! Nor do Tesco add on delivery charges at the checkout for the delivery of your tin of beans to the shop.

Are cars the only goods that carry a "delivery charge"?

It's much the as the dealer charging "delivery charges" of 750 euro. It doesn't cost the dealer 750 euro to deliver the car to them from the port and prepare for the customer, there's good profit built in.

The dealer hardly expects the customer to collect the car off the boat in Cork! Nor do Tesco add on delivery charges at the checkout for the delivery of your tin of beans to the shop.

I looked into these delivery charges before. It's the full delivery cost from port to storage and to dealer and includes the stripping of the coverings, the be removal of protection wax and general preparation.

As these costs are after it landed, they can be listed separately and the vrt does not apply. If it was included in the price, vrt would be added on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Can someone answer a curiosity for me? Why does metallic paint cost so much on a new car compared to non-metallic. I appreciate there are additional ingredients, for want of a better word, but surely it's the same process in the spray booth, it costs no more to ship the vehicle in the end and no additional duty applicable

Is it just a sales thing given more people prefer metallic?

Manufacturers barely make any money on the very base model. They advertise the lowest possible price (from € 19.975) and anchor the buyer with.

It is all the things you want on top that bring the money. The cost to add them is very little (exp. why would a three arm steering wheel cost anything more than four arm?!), but they are desirable, so clients will pay for them extra.

I hate that one... The 'delivery charge' is a way to falsy advertise a true cost of the car. Same story with 'convenience fee', 'booking fee' or 'fuel surcharge' in different businesses.

It was ruled long time ago that Ryanair cannot charge fee simply for selling you a ticket. Similar should be applied to car dealers or cinemas and different venues. :\

grogi wrote: »
    I hate that one... The 'delivery charge' is a way to falsy advertise a true cost of the car. Same story with 'convenience fee', 'booking fee' or 'fuel surcharge' in different businesses.

It was ruled long time ago that Ryanair cannot charge fee simply for selling you a ticket. Similar should be applied to car dealers or cinemas and different venues. :\

Read my post above regarding this.

Vrt is based on retail price of the car, so this saves you a few quid

Should be a better way though

Darc19 wrote: »
    Read my post above regarding this.

Vrt is based on retail price of the car, so this saves you a few quid

Are you seriously trying to say that it is for the benefit of the customer?! :D

grogi wrote: »
    Are you seriously trying to say that it is for the benefit of the customer?! :D

Partially

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/why-the-car-price-you-see-is-definitely-not-what-you-will-pay-1.3385150

• Advertisement
Advertisement