Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chested Draw Issue (IKEA)

Options
  • 13-06-2021 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I purchased a Platsa chested draw from IKEA and discovered what looks to be a defect as I was assembling the legs, as you see in the picture the threaded screw pushed through the bottom panel which is not meant to am sure so would I be in a position to return it because I really don’t see anything that am doing wrong here?

Thanks
    Francie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

francie81 wrote: »
    Hi all

I purchased a Platsa chested draw from IKEA and discovered what looks to be a defect as I was assembling the legs, as you see in the picture the threaded screw pushed through the bottom panel which is not meant to am sure so would I be in a position to return it because I really don’t see anything that am doing wrong here?

Thanks
    Francie

Chest of drawers?

Did you use a hex key or a cordless drill/screwgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

rostalof wrote: »
    Chest of drawers?

Did you use a hex key or a cordless drill/screwgun?

The spanner supplied with legs (opposite end) designed to screw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I don't think it's a fault,
    maybe you left the threaded screw too long.
    Shorten it with a few more turns of the long slotted nut before engaging it in the socket .
    Or you could try screwing the threaded bar into the socket first (finger tight only)
    then fit the leg and tighten with the slotted nut

I don't think it's a fault,
    maybe you left the threaded screw too long.
    Shorten it with a few more turns of the long slotted nut before engaging it in the socket .
    Or you could try screwing the threaded bar into the socket first (finger tight only)
    then fit the leg and tighten with the slotted nut

This is exactly what I done but somehow the thread still went through am taking it back in the hope they replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The fault is probably the wrong screw. Either OP used the wrong one or one that was too long was supplied.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

The fault is probably the wrong screw. Either OP used the wrong one or one that was too long was supplied.

Not a screw, as such more a threaded bar that goes into female socked on underside of cabinet.
    unlikely to have used wrong item.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/assembly_instructions/laetthet-leg-white-wood__AA-2024193-1_pub.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Seems pretty obvious that it was over-tightened in some fashion, no?

My bet is that you didn't catch the thread quite tight(maybe even cross-threaded) and you kept forcing it in. No matter what it would have taken a lot more force to do this and felt "wrong", telling you to stop. With ikea stuff, if you have to force something in it usually means you're doing it wrong and are about to cause damage.

Anyway, feel free to bring it back. Taking the hit for the odd customer mistake is very much built into their business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Easy to check by comparing it to the other ones supplied.

Got it replaced lads strange one but it was ok this time however I ran into another issue with the drawer runners but I can sort this, sometimes IKEA’s instructions can be somewhat off.

Glad to hear that Francie ,
    do you mind saying what you did differently this time, to make it work.
    You won't be first for this to happen to, and If I know Ikea they will soon rectify
    the issue when they see the same items returned with similar problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement