Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying - 8 to 11K budget. Not diesel, automatic - suggestions?

• 12-06-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What the second hand market like at the moment?

Thanks

Comments

Second hand market is crazy at the minute but there is some serious value to be had in the private market, I can't see you getting much of a car in a garage for that type of money.

Narrow it down to what you like and what type of car you want and we can make suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Second hand market is crazy at the minute but there is some serious value to be had in the private market, I can't see you getting much of a car in a garage for that type of money.

Narrow it down to what you like and what type of car you want and we can make suggestions.

Why is it so crazy compared to other years?

Is Done Deal the only dominant site to look at or is it worth looking on others?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

A lack of second hand cars on the market because of a combination of low sales of new cars due to lockdown and a scarcity of component parts for new vehicles.

This, coupled with increased demand with buyers having a few bob saved up after the last year and driven prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brexit is a major issue.

Op look up north though you may find something that suits.

Depending on what you like say Mercedes or a Prius etc thats totally up to you....
    If you go hybrid it will be auto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

worded wrote: »
    Why is it so crazy compared to other years?

Is Done Deal the only dominant site to look at or is it worth looking on others?

For years dealers just brought in cars from the UK and the Irish market never seemed concerned with not buying new cars when they could get a car from UK

That pipeline is more or less closed now and everyone has suddenly worked out not buying new cars for years is bitting everyone now in the ass.
    Plus people have money saved up from covid and are spending, a new car is something of a luxury and people want something nice after all the days in lockdown.

• Advertisement

Just how bad is it to land a decent car from the UK + VRT ?

Say with a 15K budget? If I really have to push it.

I should have more money in 3/4 months to spend but my present car engine is giving trouble now and its beyond economic repair

So I need to buy sooner than expected ...

Budget now. 10K to 15K at a big stretch..

I should have more money in 3/4 months to spend but my present car engine is giving trouble now and its beyond economic repair

At that price range, I think you'd get an Auris up the years with VRT + Nox but you haven't specified what car you need, estate/hatch/saloon what features etc

At that price range, I think you'd get an Auris up the years with VRT + Nox but you haven't specified what car you need, estate/hatch/saloon what features etc

Dont like Auris

Not too fussy ... estate/hatch/saloon - dont care

Prefer a decent boot but doesnt have to be huge

Recenly got a mid range sized dog ... dont think she minds either.

Has to be Automatic
    Miles not over 75
    As young as possible

I like the Golfs but they are pricey
    Ford Focus is OK - A mid range size car
    Audi a4

I dont think Im going to get something that great for my budget ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honda civic, accord, fit/jazz
    Toyota Prius, Prius plus, insight are all hybrid, Yaris small though
    Seat Toledo/Leon
    Skoda Octavia
    Volvo
    Saab
    BMW 320i
    Hyundai i10 or i20 if you don't mind size
    Merc c or e class....

Petrol will difficult of course but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

From UK it's +vrt +NOx + vat +customs

Unless it's a NI car from NI

• Advertisement

From UK it's +vrt +NOx + vat +customs

Unless it's a NI car from NI

Is there more value / worth the grief in higher end cars?

is it really worth the hassle for a car landed with all fees for circa 15k?

Thanks to everone so far for any guidnace.

I find car purchases daunting ...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I had a similar budget and found what I was looking for on DoneDeal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

The market is crazy but you can still buy & sell. I have just bought a new car and traded in. I got what I was looking for and happy with purchase. So dont be put off by all the doom & gloom

Advertisement