Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling analysis on TV

• 11-06-2021 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

Something that is striking me tonight, and was kind of alluded to in another thread.
    The hurling panels on RTÉ don’t argue with each other these days, there seems to be too much agreement and no diversity of opinion. There are good analysts like Daly and Shefflin, but there seems to be a lot of group think, very little debate.
    In the All Ireland two years ago there was
    Some debate about the red card, but it was a bit predictable, the KK man who knew Richie defended him and the others agreed with what was a pretty easy decision for the ref. Also that summer I remember Donal Og expressing surprise at a substitution and Henry saying it was correct because a goal and a few points had been scored off the guy in question.
    I remember the debate because disagreement is so rare.
    Loughnane and Eddie Brennan are missed very much.
    The RTÉ soccer coverage has declined as well,
    it used to be nearly as entertaining as the games.
    Definitely couldn’t say that tonight.
    Diversity of opinion is very important, but it doesn’t really seem to happen in relation to the hurling analysis. Of course you don’t want people disagreeing for the sake of it or for controversy, but people agreeing with each other all the time is no use either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Something that is striking me tonight, and was kind of alluded to in another thread.
    The hurling panels on RTÉ don’t argue with each other these days, there seems to be too much agreement and no diversity of opinion. There are good analysts like Daly and Shefflin, but there seems to be a lot of group think, very little debate.
    In the All Ireland two years ago there was
    Some debate about the red card, but it was a bit predictable, the KK man who knew Richie defended him and the others agreed with what was a pretty easy decision for the ref. Also that summer I remember Donal Og expressing surprise at a substitution and Henry saying it was correct because a goal and a few points had been scored off the guy in question.
    I remember the debate because disagreement is so rare.
    Loughnane and Eddie Brennan are missed very much.
    The RTÉ soccer coverage has declined as well,
    it used to be nearly as entertaining as the games.
    Definitely couldn’t say that tonight.
    Diversity of opinion is very important, but it doesn’t really seem to happen in relation to the hurling analysis. Of course you don’t want people disagreeing for the sake of it or for controversy, but people agreeing with each other all the time is no use either.

Jackie Tyrell really disappointed me recently with his broad statements and no in debth analysis. Then I suppose the time for in debth analysis is very short. That why I prefer now to listen to many of the very good podcasts available.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adelman of Beamfleot

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Jackie Tyrell really disappointed me recently with his broad statements and no in debth analysis. Then I suppose the time for in debth analysis is very short. That why I prefer now to listen to many of the very good podcasts available.

Whose (incorrect) decision was it to not accompany Tyrrell's analysis with clips to back it up do we think? I doubt analysts have the final say on such decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Why anyone needs to listen to "analysts" is beyond me. Can you not figure out what is happening in the game and form your own opinion without some talking head telling you?

Half time is for making tea and going to the jacks, maybe a quick call to a friend or the brother to discuss the half and the same at the end of the game.

Turn on the Sunday game 15/20 mins late and you can fast forward them talking nonsense and just watch the limited action they show.

It's one thing that's really bugged me about no crowds allowed tbh. I'd normally be at the games so never heard the drivel they come out with and I didnt last very long listening to them when I started watching on telly.

Discuss the game with people you know, theres no need to listen to or take a blind bit of notice of "analysts".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

But good analysis adds something to watchin sport on TV. Definitely it can, but hurling analysis is gone very poor. Surely the least well served major sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't watch the analysis on RTE, its a complete waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Watching the kilkenny v Clare game on Eir. Anthony Nash on co commentary, he's excellent. I often find the players who have just retired very good, they're very in tune with things still having been involved themselves not long ago

big_drive wrote: »
    Watching the kilkenny v Clare game on Eir. Anthony Nash on co commentary, he's excellent. I often find the players who have just retired very good, they're very in tune with things still having been involved themselves not long ago

Nash is okay, I think his commentary around Conlon isn’t great, he did acknowledge he was playing well, but the criticism of the switch is a bit simplistic. Sure if Conlon was likely to play like 2018 and Clare had a cast iron option at centre back it’d make sense not to change. But it’s not 2018 and Clare have had a problem at centre back for years.
    This is one of the problems I guess, the experts mightn’t know as much as people from the actual counties, because they don’t see club hurling there, or even all the county games.
    But I’m being a bit critical, he is quite good. Far better than another former Cork goalie:)

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't watch the analysis on RTE, its a complete waste of time

I don’t think it’s always a waste of time.
    But very often it is, has actually got an awful lot worse over the last few years. The Kilkenny lads, Daly and Cummins are okay, a lot of the other lads are very poor. To me they seem to want to make it complex and, funny as it is to say about hurling commentary, they’re ideologically motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

While I understand the point you are making and agree to a certain extent, people who love hurling can't get enough of it and more highlights and more analysis is music to the ears.

This thread is just focused on the TV analysis and not your own opinion of the matches - which everyone should have also btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Are they afraid of upsetting county boards who might be looking for a manager in next year or two. At the end of the day the players are amateurs and I dont like to hear any of them getting stick. Whatever about a team getting stick.

The analysis is decent enough they focus on decent passages of play, tactics, a player having a great game but dont dwell on player errors which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement