Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTB Adjudication for deposit retention

Options
  • 11-06-2021 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I've contacted the RTB about my ex landlord who is refusing to answer any texts or calls since I've moved out (1 month ago). There's a couple of things that I'm wondering about:

1. The tenancy was never registered, how will this effect the process?

2. I don't have an address for the landlord. I've read stories where the RTB have refused to take a case because they have no address for the landlord. Can this happen? The deposit I'm owed is 1900 quid, so it's a significant chunk which I cannot afford at the moment.

Given that the landlord won't respond to any communication, is there anyway to get this process expedited or am I stuck with the RTB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

portlygent wrote: »
    I've contacted the RTB about my ex landlord who is refusing to answer any texts or calls since I've moved out (1 month ago). There's a couple of things that I'm wondering about:

1. The tenancy was never registered, how will this effect the process?

2. I don't have an address for the landlord. I've read stories where the RTB have refused to take a case because they have no address for the landlord. Can this happen? The deposit I'm owed is 1900 quid, so it's a significant chunk which I cannot afford at the moment.

Given that the landlord won't respond to any communication, is there anyway to get this process expedited or am I stuck with the RTB?

What was the reason for not giving it back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 portlygent

What was the reason for not giving it back ?

I don't know. He won't answer any of my texts or phone calls. He's just completely ghosting me. Like I said, he's literally just ignoring me. I'm pretty sure what he's doing is very illegal, although very bizarre. He seemed grand all during the tenancy, but I think he may be an old-school cowboy landlord. Like I said, the tenancy wasn't even registered...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

portlygent wrote: »
    I don't know. He won't answer any of my texts or phone calls. He's just completely ghosting me. Like I said, he's literally just ignoring me. I'm pretty sure what he's doing is very illegal, although very bizarre. He seemed grand all during the tenancy, but I think he may be an old-school cowboy landlord. Like I said, the tenancy wasn't even registered...

Strange how long were you renting for , did you give proper notice , were their issues ? What was agreed with the deposit before you left the property ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 portlygent

Strange how long were you renting for , did you give proper notice , were their issues ? What was agreed with the deposit before you left the property ?

12 month lease, appropriate notice was given. There were no issues that I'm aware of, like I said he hasn't answered any requests that I've sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

To answer your questions

Won’t matter that tenancy wasn’t registered. Landlord will have to register and pay €180 for late registration.

If you have no detail on landlord that will be issue. You pay into his bank though? Might be able to tract him that way? Google, social media etc

Impossible to take a case if no valid details. I presume you’ve left the property at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭slystallone

Advertisement