Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to publish a children's book?

Options
  • 11-06-2021 7:34pm

Hi,

I'm sorry if this question has been raised before, but could anyone tell me what is the best way to go about publishing a children's book? We are not talking about a novel, or even a short story, more like a book aimed at very young kids - roughly 500+ words with illustrations.

Also, should the illustrations be included when submitting to publisher and how long would it normally take to hear back?

PS - unfortunately self-publishing is not an option due to lack of funds.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

You're chances of getting published by sending an unsolicited manuscript to a publisher are very low, they won't even look at it if you're an unknown. you need to get an agent to read it first.

Ok, and how would I go about doing that?

I’m sorry, I literally know nothing about the process, so the more advice I get from people who’ve actually done it, the better.

Thank you.
    You're chances of getting published by sending an unsolicited manuscript to a publisher are very low, they won't even look at it if you're an unknown. you need to get an agent to read it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

There's no simple, fixed formula to being picked up by an agent. You might as well be asking, 'How do I become a Hollywold actor?'

You need to do more research about how the industry works, what agents rep children's book authors, how to write a query. It's not an easy thing to break into and there isn't a short and sweet easy to follow recipe I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

You absolutely need to do your homework on the children’s publishing world. There are opportunities but firing proposals out blind will win you nothing. You need to really understand your target market. 500 words will be a very specific age group; the classic picture books like Where the Wild Things Are or the Very Hungry Caterpillar will be 150 words. You need to know your market, then know who are the authors, then find out who their agents are, then target those agents. Your pitch is absolutely critical, don’t attempt this without guidance.
    Go out and learn. Find books/magazines by and for children’s authors and read what other writers are doing. Attend literary festivals once they start up again and listen to the authors. Get to meet the agents if you can and listen to what they are looking for. Find a course on writing for children.
    On the absolute other side, if you just want to see your work in print and may sell a few dozen copied through local bookshops, there are plenty of sites that will allow you to do that at very low cost, maybe a few hundred euro for full colour, assuming you’re doing your own illustrations, but you’d still be well advised to do your homework on other people’s experiences.

Advertisement