Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dempo1 wrote: »
    What is going on with forecasting lately, maybe I'm missing something, but it seems completely off the mark (obviously I know its not an exact science), but not exactly a heat wave, not a minute of sunshine here in the slieve bloom mountains, 15 Degrees, very cloudy, mild yes but not the temperatures forecasted.

Today is a bit of a strange one alright, my met eireann local app is saying it will be 21-23 degrees all afternoon here in NCD yet actually only currently 15 degrees and very cloudy.

Maybe the mini heatwave is starting in a hours time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This glorious June just continues with steely blue skies here in Galway and temps closing in on 25c already:

4rnDlOd.png

In all seriousness though, it actually isn't a bad day at all. Pleasant feeling out and just enough breeze to keep the skin cool and the higher based cloud (compared pretty much every other day this June) adds a certain calming mellowness.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

appledrop wrote: »
    Today is a bit of a strange one alright, my met eireann local app is saying it will be 21-23 degrees all afternoon here in NCD yet actually only currently 15 degrees and very cloudy.

Maybe the mini heatwave is starting in a hours time!

Can I hold you to that :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Maybe it's just me but the days have been mostly cloudy in Dublin, I haven't been experiencing a great summer so far anyway. It hasn't been raining or cold but the sun hasn't come out until the evening mostly, like yesterday, and it was only patchy at best. Maybe my expectations are too high. No sun so far today.
    Tomorrow looks like it'll be great, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This glorious June just continues with steely blue skies here in Galway and temps closing in on 25c already:

4rnDlOd.png

In all seriousness though, it actually isn't a bad day at all. Pleasant feeling out and just enough breeze to keep the skin cool and the higher based cloud (compared pretty much every other day this June) adds a certain calming mellowness.

Fair point it is pleasant, was just hoping for a little, just a little sunshine :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

Feels like there hasn't been much sunshine at all in over a week :( warm yes but without the sun it isn't great is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Not that warm in Meath and a bit of a chill in the wind.
    Not what I was expecting so far.

Maybe it's just me but the days have been mostly cloudy in Dublin, I haven't been experiencing a great summer so far anyway. It hasn't been raining or cold but the sun hasn't come out until the evening mostly, like yesterday, and it was only patchy at best. Maybe my expectations are too high. No sun so far today.

All 12 days of summer?

fvp4 wrote: »
    All 12 days of summer?

Well yes that's why I said I haven't been experiencing a great summer so far, other people in Dublin on this thread seem to be delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sun out in Cobh, 18.1C at the moment, 19.0C max so far. Reckon it'll tip 20 for the second time this year.

• Advertisement

Well yes that's why I said I haven't been experiencing a great summer so far, other people in Dublin on this thread seem to be delighted with it.

I have very low expectations after last year so fact its been 20+ degrees nearly everyday since 31st May + even better no rain in Dublin is a great summer for me!

Today does seem a bit of let down but I hope that's the calm before the scorcher tomorrow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last summer was so bad that this spell seems amazing in comparison. This spell of weather has been decent but it's far from a classic 2013/2018 style event. However if we can bag a mostly sunny day tomorrow and 26C then that will probably be the warmest day since 2018 perhaps.

As usual the main problem with this spell is we are on the very edge of it with the main plume of heat over the continent and south east UK which will push northwards from tomorrow. We will be lucky to get 1 afternoon of a heat spike out of it before the cooler air moves in from the west.

Today has started very similar to yesterday, cloudy and average temperatures, hopefully the sun will break through properly again over the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm in agreement, as I said at the very end of a post yesterday, I haven't found it a particularly good June so far personally. It ain't a 2020 and far from the dreadful first half of June 2019 but it most certainly ain't like the start of June in 2013, 2016 or 2018 either. I don't know, maybe I was just spoiled by the spring for sunshine that I feel this way - especially April.

Yeah at the same time it's great you can walk around in flip flops and drink beer outside etc. I'm just a sucker for lying in the sun and catching rays and most of the time it has been cloudy.

Sun's out here in Arklow now
    A decent enough 18.3c so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

First day it's felt hot in Wexford even with the very slight breeze. UV index must be high because I can feel myself burning after a few minutes in the sun

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest GFS looks like a slight downgrade in the cool temperatures for next week over eastern areas. No major changes but in yesterdays FI post I hinted at some very cool temperatures from Wednesday but depending on sunshine and how quickly the atlantic air moves in, we may still hold onto high teens as far as Thursday with the much cooler air not making it till about Friday.

Tuesday is now looking decent as well with temperatures possibly hitting 24C in places.

arpegeuk-41-88-0.png?12-06

We are still on track for the big cool down but it may be the weekend before we really feel those cool daytime temperatures and chilly nights.

The following 7 days may also remain almost completely dry in parts of Leinster with not much rain breaking through till next weekend.

168-777UK.GIF?12-6

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Another woeful cloudy day in Cork City

You yourself pop in here to say the days or evenings are gorgeous. It’s dryer than normal, warmer than normal and about as sunny as normal in the east. So better than normal unless you like rain

fvp4 wrote: »
    You yourself pop in here to say the days or evenings are gorgeous. It’s dryer than normal and about as sunny as normal in the east. So better than normal unless you like rain

Don't worry yourself over my opinion of the current weather

• Advertisement

Level 42 wrote: »

You really are getting an awful run of weather in Cork. I was looking there at data 22m of rain so fair this month and chilly enough days aswell.

I hope you get a nice day tomorrow!

First day it's felt hot in Wexford even with the very slight breeze. UV index must be high because I can feel myself burning after a few minutes in the sun

The UV index is high to very high for Saturday and Sunday once sun comes out, so yep we need to get that factor 50 on!

Don't worry yourself over my opinion of the current weather

It’s a discussion forum.

Here’s last week for the east from met eireann

Forecast issued at: Friday 11th June 2021 13:00

Over the past week, rainfall amounts have been well below average across most of the country. It was driest in parts of the east with 0mm of rain recorded at Dublin Airport.

Over the past week, mean air temperatures range from normal or slightly below in the southwest up to 1 to 2 degrees above normal in the midlands and east.

and

The past week has been sunniest in the midlands and east, with between 80 and 120% of sunshine totals there, with 44 hours of sunshine recorded at Casement. It was duller elsewhere the southwest and west Connacht receiving less than 40% of average sunshine. Just 11 hours of sunshine recorded at Belmullet (29% of average).

Nobody in the east, particularly Dublin, has much to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm still wearing the jumper and have been out and about since 7 this morning. Cloud and a cool wind so far.

Leitrim

And the sun is breaking out in Dublin again.

Afternoon looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireanngot today badly wrong. We were all set for the beach this weekend. What happened

No sign of sun in Dublin 5 anyway. Hope this doesn't happen tomorrow!

pauldry wrote: »
    Met Eireanngot today badly wrong. We were all set for the beach this weekend. What happened

It's coming tomorrow don't give up hope!

Its giving me a chance today anyway to catch up on the more boring stuff around the house.

I'll be out that door at 8am tomorrow for the beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Level 42 wrote: »

Sunny (well, broken cloud) in Cobh.

Max of 19C so far, don't think that'll be broken today now. Very nice day overall, get on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Wall to wall..cloud cover again.

Advertisement