Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving other cars insurance policy under 25?

Options
  • 11-06-2021 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I'm wondering if any insurance company does driving other cars for under 25 anymore?. I'm 23 with 5 years no claims or no points and AXA told me no over the phone.
    I'd be more than willing to pay more as its a very handy feature to have with my insurance and the fact I have this many years no claims etc. Shows that I'm a safe driver. Is there any Lee-way when your 24? I understand over 25 for classic car insurance but most driving other car policy need the car to be under 20 years old anyway. Anyone have any luck getting this on their policy >25?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does it specify this on your insurance certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

Does it specify this on your insurance certificate?

No but if you check Axa's website they pretty much say over 25s only and it seems to be the same with Liberty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try get named on other cars policy. Beware many of these driving other cars rules have catches such as car cannot be owned by you. Car must be insured and NCT to someone else. Often driving other car is for emergency or very temporary purposes only. Often insurance is third party only. Engine size limitations etc.

Read all small print in policy documents. Sometimes they don't give you them and you need to download from their website and there can be multiple versions depending on your actual policy. Over the phone brokers or agents may not even know or understand all the catches.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pearsett100

zg3409 wrote: »
    Try get named on other cars policy. Beware many of these driving other cars rules have catches such as car cannot be owned by you. Car must be insured and NCT to someone else. Often driving other car is for emergency or very temporary purposes only. Often insurance is third party only. Engine size limitations etc.

Read all small print in policy documents. Sometimes they don't give you them and you need to download from their website and there can be multiple versions depending on your actual policy. Over the phone brokers or agents may not even know or understand all the catches.
    Ya was able to switch and get the cover with liberty and there is one or two limitations as you said the car must have nct, there was no engine restriction but the car must not be older than 15 years old (the one or two I would borrow aren't), sure hope this becomes easier when I turn 25 and don't have to read through every insurers policy document

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ya was able to switch and get the cover with liberty and there is one or two limitations as you said the car must have nct, there was no engine restriction but the car must not be older than 15 years old (the one or two I would borrow aren't), sure hope this becomes easier when I turn 25 and don't have to read through every insurers policy document

You always need to read your policy document, they are all different, even when it comes to driving of other cars

• Advertisement
Advertisement