Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

What >11 metre byses are turning to/from Castlepark Road from the R119?

While the service is currently suspended until further notice, when the Aircoach 703 to Dalkey is reinstated, one can assume that the Plaxton Panthers will still be the order of the day at 12 Meters in length. These struggled even before the works were carried out. Now, it will be nigh on impossible. Much of these junctions will need another revision when we are out of the pandemic.

With all of these junction tightening works going on, Dalkey will only really be accessible via the car, the bike or the DART. This is inherently very regressive and will only serve to benefit those with an elitist ivory tower mentality.

Now, I have no problem with people being wealthy and having big houses. In fact, I am predominantly capitalist at heart as capitalism and the wealth it generates through competition and hard work forms the backbone of most first world economies. However, I do have an issue with those who try to keep places like Dalkey to themselves.

This paints an unwelcoming atmosphere for those outside of Dalkey and will only serve to perpetuate the status quo of Dalkey as a town of snobs and consequently tarring all Dalkey residents with the same brush.

Back to the topic at hand, I do like the 2 lane cycle track along the coast and Dun Laoghaire seems to be on the way back to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

What junctions involving buses in Dalkey have had their turning radii reduced?

The entire 'Squareabout' outside McDonagh's, especially where the zebra crossing is. It had to be redone because they initially hadn't engaged in any consultation whatsoever with the relevant stakeholders and it was impossible to get a bus around the corner. Now you can just about get a bus around the corner, with a few inches to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I live close to Blackrock village. Strolling through the main street the other day and having a takeout coffee was nice......but......the seats that they have put in place on the main street areas were filthy. Chairs and tables and ground around sticky and dirty. The new bins that were put in place were also filthy, handles, insides, ground around.

Does anyone know if Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Co have anyone with a power hose cleaning around these areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I see 00 Pizza in Patrick's Street has covered and uncovered seating in the parking spaces. Can anyone recommend it? Only ever passed it on the way to Kyoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

fixXxer wrote: »
    I see 00 Pizza in Patrick's Street has covered and uncovered seating in the parking spaces. Can anyone recommend it? Only ever passed it on the way to Kyoto.

it's really good pizza. a touch pricey, but quality.

for context, my go to pizza would be fellinis in deansgrange, 00 is my special occasion pizza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

fixXxer wrote: »

IMO it's ok pizza that is overpriced

frash wrote: »
    IMO it's ok pizza that is overpriced

ooh. i agree that it's a touch expensive. where would you get your pizza from (in the DL area, just to keep 'on thread')?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

ooh. i agree that it's a touch expensive. where would you get your pizza from (in the DL area, just to keep 'on thread')?

For takeaway - Shovelhead down by the Purty is pretty good
    For eat-in 'That's Amore' never disappoints

Marked or not, they're still breaking the law by parking that close to a junction. But parking laws are very rarely enforced in that area. They also need to do something about the double-parking situation on Breffni Rd. I'm aware that most of the houses don't have off-street parking, but that's their problem. It shouldn't be the problem of other road users.

Before they narrowed the junction, people were parking all around the corner. Going for a dip at the forty foot trumps any laws, don't ya know.

It's crazy at the weekends, people just see a spot and park in it, the fact it is a stupid or illegal place to park is irrelevant and of course, on a Sunday there are no wardens so you can park anywhere you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Would you believe it? I didn't even know we had a Mayor. :D

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dun-laoghaire-rathdown-mayor-una-20793423

• Advertisement

The entire 'Squareabout' outside McDonagh's, especially where the zebra crossing is. It had to be redone because they initially hadn't engaged in any consultation whatsoever with the relevant stakeholders and it was impossible to get a bus around the corner. Now you can just about get a bus around the corner, with a few inches to spare.
    Comparing the satellite/streetview imagery from a few years back with what appears to be the current version shows significantly wider turning radii for buses/HGVs.

You can compare the old version here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2782745,-6.1070826,3a,75y,192.69h,75.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1zthny7R4Y-zvo0kQscUSw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D1zthny7R4Y-zvo0kQscUSw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D315.97162%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

@pat, the aircoach route 703 doesn't turn from the R119 onto Castlepark Road using the junction you were initially complaining about.

frash wrote: »
    For takeaway - Shovelhead down by the Purty is pretty good
    For eat-in 'That's Amore' never disappoints

Will try shovel head so. Wife says amore is great too, just never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Mav11 wrote: »
    Would you believe it? I didn't even know we had a Mayor. :D

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dun-laoghaire-rathdown-mayor-una-20793423

She's the cathaoirleach, possibly the most photographed and PR savy/hungry person in the history of the council.

pm1977x wrote: »
    She's the cathaoirleach, possibly the most photographed and PR savy/hungry person in the history of the council.

That’s probably why it didn’t register with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They say don't speak ill of the dead, so I won't, but there was worse than her for a photo op not a million years ago.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They say don't speak ill of the dead, so I won't, but there was worse than her for a photo op not a million years ago.

Fair enough, I think I know who you mean, coincidentally, since my post I was scrolling on Facebook and she came up twice in PR shoots to do with chewing gum and the coast guard. I presume herself and Robert Burns have their eyes on bigger prizes considering how heavily they both promote themselves front and centre (at the taxpayer's expense of course!) via DLRCOCO photo shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

That doesn't make her the Mayor.

I had to laugh earlier, she posted a tweet apologising for not being active much on Twitter lately due to being unwell. Not too unwell for all the photo ops apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fair enough, I think I know who you mean, coincidentally, since my post I was scrolling on Facebook and she came up twice in PR shoots to do with chewing gum and the coast guard. I presume herself and Robert Burns have their eyes on bigger prizes considering how heavily they both promote themselves front and centre (at the taxpayer's expense of course!) via DLRCOCO photo shoots.

What taxpayers expenses have been involved in any such photo shoots?

The Councils use contracted professional photographers, not their own resources. Everytime these photoshoots appear, its a few hundred lids of yours and mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Marked or not, they're still breaking the law by parking that close to a junction. But parking laws are very rarely enforced in that area. They also need to do something about the double-parking situation on Breffni Rd. I'm aware that most of the houses don't have off-street parking, but that's their problem. It shouldn't be the problem of other road users.

A joint planning application for off-street parking has been lobbed in for all but one of the houses on Breffni Terrace that do not currently have parking within their curtilage. If the planning applications are approved that will be the end of parking on the south side (DL direction) of that road.

And regarding the remodelling of some of these wide sweeping corners, I noticed tonight that St. Catherines Road/Albert Road junction is now being done. Personally, I'd love the corner at Fitzgerald's pub to be tightened, while they are on this kick. There might even be room for an outdoor table or two afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Councils use contracted professional photographers, not their own resources. Everytime these photoshoots appear, its a few hundred lids of yours and mine.

The one that I was at had a staffer taking pics with their phone.

I had to laugh earlier, she posted a tweet apologising for not being active much on Twitter lately due to being unwell. Not too unwell for all the photo ops apparently
    What a nasty and mean-spirited comment, but hardly unexpected from you I guess.

"Someone apologised for not using social media recently due to feeling unwell, but they're still doing events related to their role on the Council. I'm going to be snide, smug, condescending and unpleasant about it because I can't see the clear difference between the two."

[HTML][/HTML]
    Tarabuses wrote: »
    That doesn't make her the Mayor.

I never said it did.

The last one I witnessed had a guy with a decent dslr with various lenses and a decent enough video camera. In other instances I’m sure it may well be other council staff...paid by??? (perhaps their time could be better spent elsewhere, there’s more pressing issues than taking pictures of pizza bins.)

The social media doesn’t run itself either, press releases don’t release themselves, it all comes at a cost to the taxpayer, which is fine when promoting council initiatives, but do these people have to be front and centre all the time?
    now and again they could just stay out of frame lest it becomes more about them as individuals promoting themselves vs promoting council initiatives. I’m sure it’s considered part of the role but there’s a balance to be struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Monkstown outdoor space in the previous loading bays / parking spaces is now in use. Have to say I’m pleased FxB have set it up for their dining business as opposed to pub. Looked nice other than the line of traffic spewing out fumes beside it.

But, 8A are spreading out on the pavement. Really annoying as a local resident trying to walk by with (granted) a double buggy.

In Dún Laoghaire itself today when a business was setting out tables that I couldn’t walk past on the pavement, with the buggy, I asked if space could be left to get past. The response was “f*#k off”. I think the person regretted their gut response when I challenged them, so I won’t mention the business. But the residual pavement space in some locations is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What a nasty and mean-spirited comment, but hardly unexpected from you I guess.

"Someone apologised for not using social media recently due to feeling unwell, but they're still doing events related to their role on the Council. I'm going to be snide, smug, condescending and unpleasant about it because I can't see the clear difference between the two."

Jesus ****en Christ. People now have to apologise for being absent from the internet for a period of time? Ffs! Really? Have we reached that depth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

tom1ie wrote: »
    Jesus ****en Christ. People now have to apologise for being absent from the internet for a period of time? Ffs! Really? Have we reached that depth?

People have been doing that for years. It’s nothing new.

Zaney wrote: »

But, 8A are spreading out on the pavement. Really annoying as a local resident trying to walk by with (granted) a double buggy.

In Dún Laoghaire itself today when a business was setting out tables that I couldn’t walk past on the pavement, with the buggy, I asked if space could be left .

So, did you manage to get past, or did you have to go back home?

• Advertisement

The one that I was at had a staffer taking pics with their phone.

If you can reconcile some of the quality of these frequent photoshoots with a camera phone being used, good for you. I've been at more of those events than I care to remember down the years and its always professionals, I can even name the two main providers.

I remember the Indo covering the costs in a wider FoI story once. You could always send one in yourself to DCC or DLR and see what comes back.

Advertisement