Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallins / Lyons cycle to City Centre

Options
  • 10-06-2021 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hope someone can help here, wondering is it possible to cycle a grand canal route to Dublin City centre? From sallins or Lyons area

Both novice road bike users and enjoying a few local cycle routes……love to try a spin into town by mostly using grand canal or decent bike lanes too if needed. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It's grass from sallins to lyons. Then solid surface to Hazel hatch Bridge. Then grass to where the R120 Bridge is. Then paved again the rest of the way in (pretty sure, haven't done all that stretch.)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

It's grass alright from Sallins to Ponsonby Bridge (L2007), about 6km, but the last stretch from Devonshire Bridge (Kileen Golf Club) about 2km is particularly boggy where the canal has overflowed. WWI has also been digging up the towpath as part of "survey works" in advance of some upgrade in the future.

From Ponsonby Bridge to Hazelhatch 4.4km, it's either paved or unbound gravel, very doable on any bike.

From Hazelhatch to 12th Lock (R120) it is grass again, another 4.6km, some very rough sections, particularly throught the quarry at Gollierstown and the last kilometre, but it is passable if not enjoyable.

From 12th Lock it is paved all the way to the docks, but on-street from Suir Road Bridge to Charlemont Bridge.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I wouldn't want to be going into work when it is wet from Hazelhatch to Lucan, you and your clothes and bike would be all mucky. It is fine now when it is dry but that's not normal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't want to be going into work when it is wet from Hazelhatch to Lucan, you and your clothes and bike would be all mucky. It is fine now when it is dry but that's not normal.
    You can get half decent gear to wear if it is wet and mucky which you can take off on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Sure the muck will be thrown everywhere including your eyes when that stretch is wet, there are big puddles. You would have to wash the bike as well when you get into work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sorry, I misread. I had been thinking the stretch between Ardclough and Hazlehatch, not HH to Lucan (which I've never cycled because of the poor surface!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Sorry, I misread. I had been thinking the stretch between Ardclough and Hazlehatch, not HH to Lucan (which I've never cycled because of the poor surface!).

Ah but it's fun when it isn't sucky slidy death mud.

Advertisement