Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Foggy at Cork Airport, vis is just 300 meters causing one plane to divert to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Last summer stats
    EXTREME VALUES FOR SUMMER AT SYNOPTIC STATIONS

Rainfall:

Highest seasonal total: 561.1 mm at Valentia Observatory, Co Kerry (181% of its LTA)
    Lowest seasonal total: 217.1 mm at Oak Park, Co Carlow (113% of its LTA)
    Highest daily rainfall: 54.5 mm at Valentia Observatory, Co Kerry (55% of its monthly LTA) on Wed 29th Jul

Temperature:

Highest mean seasonal temperature: 15.2°C at Oak Park, Co Carlow (0.3°C above its LTA)
    Highest mean seasonal temperature: 15.2°C at Oak Park, Co Carlow (0.3°C above its LTA)
    Highest air temperature for the season: 27.1°C at Newport, Co Mayo on Mon 1st Jun
    Lowest air temperature for the season: 1.6°C at Mount Dillon, Co Roscommon on Mon 31st Aug
    Lowest grass minimum for the season: -1.6°C at Mount Dillon, Co Roscommon on Mon 8th Jun

Sunshine

Highest seasonal total: 451.2 hrs (daily mean 4.90 hrs/day) at Cork Airport, Co Cork
    Lowest seasonal total: 275.5 hrs (daily mean 2.99 hrs/day) at Gurteen*, Co Tipperary
    Highest daily sunshine for the season: 15.6 hours at Johnstown Castle*, Co Wexford on Mon 1st Jun

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

No f-ing comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Certainly not the typical summers day in the South East. Heavy sea fog all evening with visibility very poor now in Wexford

pad199207 wrote: »
    Certainly not the typical summers day in the South East. Heavy sea fog all evening with visibility very poor now in Wexford

No fog up the road but dull and windy,
    Gusting to 40kmh
    16c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

Horrendous in south mayo
    Like an October’s evening
    The wind making it impossible to do anything outside . Like walk !
    Has put me in really bad form

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today was overall fairly dissapointing. The wind has not let up at all and dampened the very warm air over us and we ended up much more cloud than what I was expecting. We reached 22C for a few hours earlier in the afternoon when we had some nice sunny spells but the frequency of the cloud prevented temperatures going higher and that wind still had a cooling add on affect.

Today's max temperatures illustrates how poor it's been across the south and west, this is very similar to how the east was last August with an entire month of cool temperatures and low hanging cloud after a very wet and cool July so I can understand the frustration.

txint_uk.png

Tomorrow will be more of the same, just not was warm as today, temperatures more average everywhere and there will be plenty of cloud so most places will stay in the teens tomorrow.

arpegeuk-41-27-0.png?10-18

Tomorrow should be less windy than today thankfully. There will be very little sunshine tomorrow, best chances of some hazy sunshine may be in the south.

arpegeuk-4-24-0.png?10-17

Saturday will be an improvement, particularly in the south with less of an onshore wind and more in the way of sun, however it looks like many western and northern areas may stay cloudy.

arpegeuk-41-52-0.png?10-18

Sunday will probably be the warmest day of June 2021 with temperatures up to 26C possible in some areas depending on sunshine.

arpegeuk-41-75-0.png?10-18

It will stay relatively mild up to Tuesday and then the Atlantic takes over completely from Wednesday with a fairly significant pattern change into a much cooler airmass.

Much cooler !

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

km79 wrote: »
    Much cooler !

If it's cloudy all day everyday, I don't mind if it's chilly. Cannot stand dark damp days that are overly warm, ugh. Hate feeling like I'm living in an armpit.

Outdoor dining
    LOL
    I’d be happy if the weather allowed a beer out in the back garden at some stage this summer :(

• Advertisement

Is it safe to say that other than the very east of the country the rest of us are experiencing a very meh summer so far with the prospect of it declining even further after a brief respite possibly this weekend-I’ll believe it when I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

The gfs ensembles are a horror show tonight. Hopefully it doesn’t verify. Very cool and lots of showers. Thankfully the ecm is not as bad. Still poor output for approaching the longest day of the year.

I can’t imagine the outdoor dining is to appealing at the moment. Wind whipping around dull skies and drizzle. No thanks. Roll on July 19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Max of 15.3C here today in East Cork.

Max so far in June of 19.8C. Still hasn't gone over the 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

those stats are grim for Kerry.
    luckily i'm heading there in two weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today's max temperatures illustrates how poor it's been across the south and west, this is very similar to how the east was last August with an entire month of cool temperatures and low hanging cloud after a very wet and cool July so I can understand the frustration.
    :confused:
    Compared to the west, the east was a sunny tropical paradise last July and August.

New Moon

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The East was like that all "summer" last year. West getting a dose of that the past few weeks

Unbelievable.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Compared to the west, the east was a sunny tropical paradise last July and August.

Nowhere had a good July last summer, a month of rain and 14C.

Temperatures here in Meath also struggled throughout August 2020 with endless days of cloud and 15C.

June 2020 started with the two warmest days of 2020 and by June 3rd a cool northerly took over and the rest of the month was showery and the final week of June was a deluge and this continued throughout July. Last summer gave 2012 and the awful summers of 2007/2008 a run for their money.

Horrendous in south mayo
    Like an October’s evening
    The wind making it impossible to do anything outside . Like walk !
    Has put me in really bad form

I enjoyed that breeze today, and still nice and wild sounding now. If it was totally calm out the sticky humidity would be horrific.

New Moon

Gonzo wrote: »
    Nowhere had a good July last summer, a month of rain and 14C.

Temperatures here in Meath also struggled throughout August 2020 with endless days of cloud and 15C.

June 2020 started with the two warmest days of 2020 and by June 3rd a cool northerly took over and the rest of the month was showery and the final week of June was a deluge and this continued throughout July. Last summer gave 2012 and the awful summers of 2007/2008 a run for their money.

I don't remember much about the rain last July or August to be honest, I just remember the eternal low cloud. July & August 2019 (the year before) however, were, by any stretch, very very wet; yet, still nowhere near as dull as last summer.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Outdoor dining
    LOL
    I’d be happy if the weather allowed a beer out in the back garden at some stage this summer :(

Mad in such a small country we have such extremes.. I've been outside every evening for dinner the last few days in Dublin...only in now and its still warm out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Mad in such a small country we have such extremes.. I've been outside every evening for dinner the last few days in Dublin...only in now and its still warm out there

I hope it wasn't Indian grub Delhi?

Eternal sunshine paradise here in Laois /Offaly :D

In all seriousness though, it's been very pleasant but this afternoon and evening' s weather was very odd altogether..like an eclipse coolness hangover, with intermittent blasts of humidity.

Actually very pleasant out tonight. Quite breezy, but definitely a June night. My two Tom cats think it's the cat's pyjamas. Perfect hunting night. Which, if the pubs were open, it would be too. A proper summer's day and night overall. The fields are teeming with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

We really weren't..

Out of the (very limited) stations available for sunshine data, both Casement and Dublin Apt were the dullest synoptic stations during August in terms of absolute sun totals including only 97 hrs at D.A. which was a new August record.

Gurteen was the dullest in July with 93 hrs followed by Belmullet with 97 hrs and Dublin Apt 104 hrs.

It was the south that was more the 'sunny tropical paradise', at least going by Cork Airport which was the sunniest in both months but still below average.

For the summer as a whole, only Belmullet was duller than Dublin Apt out of the 7 stations listed in the seasonal summary charts, albeit Gurteen was even duller than both with its inland location probably being part of the reason why, and it was the dullest summer on record at D.A. with only 331 hrs (3.6 hrs per day) when a typical 1981-10 summer should have around 494 hrs (5.4 hrs per day), so a remarkable deficiency.

Wherever you were, it was a cloudy to very cloudy summer, even by Irish standards, and I'd rather it be completely erased from existence. The only 'good' moments I can take from it are the Neowise Comet during July and the abundance of good noctilucent cloud displays during the season that were visible when the cloud would fortunately break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I hope it wasn't Indian grub Delhi?

Eternal sunshine paradise here in Laois /Offaly :D

In all seriousness though, it's been very pleasant but this afternoon and evening' s weather was very odd altogether..like an eclipse coolness hangover, with intermittent blasts of humidity.

Actually very pleasant out tonight. Quite breezy, but definitely a June night. My two Tom cats think it's the cat's pyjamas. Perfect hunting night. Which, if the pubs were open, it would be too. A proper summer's day and night overall. The fields are teeming with life.

Yes but not as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Did I miss M.T. posting that summer has been locked down till 2022? Kilkenny has been miserable for the most part the last few days and I've had to put the heating in June for the first time since the end of February. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cloudy again and wind seems even worse, I've to cycle to work directly against it shortly, urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Blue skies in Dublin again but wind is still very gusty...still I'll take this...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloud and a strong cool wind. On the plus side no rain, for the moment.
    Leitrim

Quick update.... Its raining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

Every Winter we wait for a Winter

Every Summer we wait for a Summer

We never learn

Also every time theres warm weather promised its never as warm
    sunny its never as sunny
    cold its never as cold
    windy its never as windy
    wet its ALWAYS as wet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This week has been very good in the east, it has to be said. I know it's been the opposite in many other parts, which is a pity, but that's the price we pay for a moist subtropical southwesterly.

Advertisement