Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars for lower back pain

Options
  • 10-06-2021 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Are lower cars problematic for sciatica/Lower back pain? Ie golfs

If so any recommendations?

I hear of people getting jeeps as they are complaining of lower back issues but do they help? How do they help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭AUDI20

I get lower back pain every time I detail my car, especially when cleaning down low along the sills and bumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hatch1989 wrote: »

I hear of people getting jeeps as they are complaining of lower back issues but do they help? How do they help?

Certainly a higher car/jeep will help as you're not sitting down into it and are usually in a more upright position. Look for lumbar support on the drivers seat if it doesn't have this and you do big mileage in a car I'd pass as it makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Thanks guys, will keep the eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Health Warning - I'm just passing this on as I heard it.

I met a man a few years ago who was after trading in his Passat for a Tucson because he was getting back pain.

He told me that his chiropractor told him that the most common cars driven by her clients when they developed back problems were the VW/Audi range.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I think in lower cars hips can be below the knee, which puts a bit more strain on the lower back and hips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Porsche Boxster is great for it ...no seriously I had sciatica badly after a back injury and it made driving very difficult I couldn’t get in or out of the Boxster never mind drive it , generally cars that are higher up have a higher driving position will put less strain on your back but the type of seat and lumbar support are important too as is the clutch believe it or not a heavy clutch will put pressure on your lower back as opposed to a soft one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

back pains I would be getting an auto. I had an s class, it took way longer for my back to get sore in that, than other cars I have driven. Volvo are meant to be comfy too...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Volvo seems to crop up alot as being very helpful in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Back pain can be an unknown quantity and unique to the person experiencing it. Some people feel more comfortable in a car with a firm ride while others in a car with a more softer suspension setup. I'm afraid you will probably have to give various models a try to see which one works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

My wife swears by the Saab (auto) for her having no back pain in a few years. She hates my BMW (manual). So yeah, i would wholeheartedly recommend the manual BMW as a recommendation for sciatica/Lower back pain.

Are you driving a manual or automatic?
    Which side is the pain on?

If manual and the pain is on the left side then i would recommend continuing with the manual as a recommendation because yes, they would be problematic for sciatica & related concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I get sciatica normally down my left side so will always stick with automatic. Clutching would hurt.

Another thing I will always have is the extenders on the seat like you get with the m sport bmw and s line audi models. I just think they provide better support under the legs and take pressure away from lower back.

Thankfully it only lasts a little while when sciatica flares up for me. However, if yours is like mine I don't think the actual seat will make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Currently driving VW Golf, sciatica flares up generally on left hand side leg/hip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

I was messing around in my earlier post.

But seriously, move to an auto.

You won't regret it.

That being said, there are other reasons for sciatica, but this move should make a difference.

Note: this is purely motoring advice and zero medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

I have a golf mk7 and I do find the seats uncomfortable, as someone else mentioned you need to get you hips as close to level with your knees and in a lot of these new hatchbacks they are folding you up to make more room and lowering the cars to improve mpg, I had a mk6 golf before and it was more comfortable than the mk7, I'll be going crossover/mpv/SUV for my next car to try help with my lower back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Always had a problem with Volkswagen seats for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭hellyeah

I have suffered with sciatica in the past and am currently just over a bad spell of it. Could not drive for 2 weeks. Imo what has helped is you defo have to get your hips higher than your knees. Keep knees flexed , arms bent. Get your seat as high as you can, use a cushion if needs be engage lumber support. I drive a 08 focus , not ideal but after messing with the seat last week there was a surprising amount of adjustment. Been driving in a poor position for years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a nice Skoda Superb with about half a dozen buttons to adjust the drivers seat, I find the lumbar support to be excellent and have never had any back issues whatsoever. Can confirm that Volvo seats are also very supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Am 6ft 5 and am driving Golfs since 1997,I also have back issues.I get a seat runner extender installed when I buy a new car.This allows you to push the seat back much further and give you more position options.Roll a towel up and put it at the base of your back for long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I have a nice Skoda Superb with about half a dozen buttons to adjust the drivers seat, I find the lumbar support to be excellent and have never had any back issues whatsoever. Can confirm that Volvo seats are also very supportive.

I had a Volvo 740 and a 940 in the nineties and they were comfortable. I think they had Recaro seats.

On the other hand, I bought my wife a used late edition 240 wagon (estate) in the late nineties. The thing was beautiful but the seats had a screwy angle to them, like 87 degrees aiming toward center of engine compartment. I thought at first that the car had been in an accident, but both seats had the same uncouth angle to them, making for an extremely uncomfortable drive. Got rid of it not too long after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Volvo V70 phase 2 had seats designed in conjunction orthopedic surgeons, according to the marketing. I can confirm that since getting one I've had no back ache, despite years of suffering beforehand. Heated seats in winter do help as well.

The only problem is that they don't make them anymore, so I've held on to the car well beyond what I normally keep a car for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

The gospel for back friendly cars with specific seats available

https://www.agr-ev.de/en/back-friendly-products/back-friendly-products/2903-carseats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Toyota Avensis (2011) had the worst drivers seat ever, and I've been driving for 40 years!!! I had to get rid of the car after 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

elperello wrote: »
    Health Warning - I'm just passing this on as I heard it.

I met a man a few years ago who was after trading in his Passat for a Tucson because he was getting back pain.

He told me that his chiropractor told him that the most common cars driven by her clients when they developed back problems were the VW/Audi range.

if a Chiropractor told me " today is Tuesday "

I would not believe them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Tabnabs wrote: »

Same here. I had a Lexus about 10 years ago and the lumbar support wasn't as good as the Superb. I have been driving them since. I don't have the buttons to adjust the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are changing an 06 Mercedes C200. The seats in it absolutely murder my back. I hope the more recent models have better seats.

Advertisement