Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Great video here. Its a fan art competition of what people think could be bosses for Elden Ring. The SoulsBorne community is truly something special. A few Irish folklore entries on that list. I think Irish and Celtic mythology is largely untapped by gaming these days and there is a wealth of "content" to be had here. I hope Elden Ring steers closer to said mythology opposed to Norse myth which is very common in games these days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Great video here. Its a fan art competition of what people think could be bosses for Elden Ring. The SoulsBorne community is truly something special. A few Irish folklore entries on that list. I think Irish and Celtic mythology is largely untapped by gaming these days and there is a wealth of "content" to be had here. I hope Elden Ring steers closer to said mythology opposed to Norse myth which is very common in games these days

I thought 2 was far more impressive than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

J. Marston wrote: »
    I thought 2 was far more impressive than 1.

Likewise. When he was done talking about 2 i was thinking i would be blown away by 1, but i was underwhelmed :pac:

As i was watching the video and thinking of how the fights would play out in my mind with in game graphics and such im starting to think FromSoft might not reach the standard set by some of these entries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Still no major news regarding ER, but Phil Spencer has played it "quite a bit" according to this interview with GameSpot.
    As somebody who’s played all of Miyazaki’s games, over at least the last decade, this is clearly the most ambitious game that he’s done,” he says. “I love his games, but seeing some of the gameplay mechanics stuff that he’s tackling, he and the team are tackling this time, of the setting, working with another creator in terms of story. I love it. I love to see him challenging himself.

Scraps. We're living off scraps!!

• Advertisement

Rumours are growing that the game is nearly done, and/or we could see a trailer at the Game Awards.

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1334315924573155329?s=20

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1334320704032923650?s=20

There's a leaked trailer floating around apparently, says it's a gameplay trailer too...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1366374770196021255

Screenshot according to that Twitter thread...

EvZbM_HXYAMWoqs?format=jpg&name=small

Edit: A couple of very short very blurry clips...

https://streamable.com/wdy1x6

https://streamable.com/c0xcil

Apparently Imran Khan mentioned it in his latest livestream - he said the next we'd hear about ES would be the trailer itself, just dropped without warning, and that it would happen "soon". If it's already in the wild, the "soon" could be "very soon"!

Blurry and low rez, watermarks alll over screen etc but it's legit apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They need to release the proper trailer asap before they get plagued with comments about how **** it looks.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    They need to release the proper trailer asap before they get plagued with comments about how **** it looks.

Yeah, just release it now in 4K, thanks.

This is supposedly all the available clips gathered together. There's a distinct couple of nods to LotR in there, as well as some very obvious From flourishes.

Release date of 21/1/2022 and it's officially coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Well that looks ****ing class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Finally! This will keep us going through the dreary early months of 2022.

Would be nice if there was a tad more info in the Bandai Namco stream on Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭McFly85

My god that looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Please don’t be as hard as Sekiro, I want to actually be able to play this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Markitron wrote: »

Sekiro isn't hard.

Markitron wrote: »

Whatever about Sekiro's difficulty, i found it incredibly boring apart from the Genichiro boss fight. I don't mind a hard game if it's worth my while to to keep trying but gave up on this at the guardian ape. Not that i was stuck, my last go was incredibly close and only tried about 5 times, i just couldn't be arsed finding out what was next.

This trailer looks more interesting than my whole time with Sekiro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks like a From Software game. Not a bad thing as I love From Software games, but marketing material is meaningless - nothing matters till I get to play the darn thing myself :)
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sekiro isn't hard.

Of course it’s hard. I’ve finished it and it was tough, even as a Souls veteran. Perhaps you found it easy, but the vast majority of players have and will find it a hard, demanding game. That’s not the same as saying they shouldn’t persevere and see it through, because IMO it’s well worth it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Whatever about Sekiro's difficulty, i found it incredibly boring apart from the Genichiro boss fight. I don't mind a hard game if it's worth my while to to keep trying but gave up on this at the guardian ape. Not that i was stuck, my last go was incredibly close and only tried about 5 times, i just couldn't be arsed finding out what was next.

This trailer looks more interesting than my whole time with Sekiro.

Yea I wasn’t a mad fan of Sekiro’s setting and enemies etc, but I did really like the combat and I would absolutely have finished the game if I hadn’t hit a difficulty brick wall at what I’m guessing was around the 40% mark. Thing is I might have kept going but having to spend ages stealth killing every enemy before every attempt is what broke me in the end.

I have finished DeS, DS 1+3 and BB and never hit a wall like I did in Sekiro. I think the fact that ER has co op will probably mean it won’t be quite as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looks like a From Software game. Not a bad thing as I love From Software games, but marketing material is meaningless - nothing matters till I get to play the darn thing myself :)

Of course it’s hard. I’ve finished it and it was tough, even as a Souls veteran. Perhaps you found it easy, but the vast majority of players have and will find it a hard, demanding game. That’s not the same as saying they shouldn’t persevere and see it through, because IMO it’s well worth it.

Once you get the rhythm of deflecting down you can kill enemies without much trouble.

Looks more Souls-y than Sekiro-y, thankfully.

Wouldn't be too mad about GRRM's involvement. I enjoy piecing together the sparse lore in Souls games anyway. GRRM will give you buckets of lore and then blueball you at the end.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Looks more Souls-y than Sekiro-y, thankfully.

Wouldn't be too mad about GRRM's involvement. I enjoy piecing together the sparse lore in Souls games anyway. GRRM will give you buckets of lore and then blueball you at the end.

AFAIK the game is based on a short story GRRM wrote for From. I don’t think he will be heavily involved in how the exposition is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It looks like Dark souls on horse back, so expect it to be as challenging as that at the very least in terms of difficulty. Looks great tbh, cant wait for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

About 18 months ago I wouldn't have been too bothered by this, as I'd never played a Souls game. The Demons Souls announcement trailer got me intrigued, and I tried Bloodborne which I had free from PS Plus. Got hooked into the Souls games after that, and the only ones I haven't beat yet is DS3 and Sekiro, I just started DS3 last week actually.

Can't wait for this now, it looks fantastic I love the idea of an open world souls game which you can explore, with these dungeon style areas for the big bosses. I'm looking forward to it being the first souls game I play at launch, where I'm discovering the secrets along with everyone else.

• Advertisement

Sekiro didn't have the totally optional easy mode aka summon help. There's pro's and con's to that I think. I'd call 3 nights on the same boss and having no option but to keep plugging away a bit of a wall at times.

Also why do youtube want my credit card or ID to watch that video ????

Alt link anyone?

EDIT: NM

Advertisement